SAF confident in Heller vs. D.C. case
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAF confident in Heller vs. D.C. case

SAF confident in Heller vs. D.C. case

Received this in my e-mail today from the Second Amendment Foundation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEWS RELEASE
    INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS WON IN TODAY’S SUPREME COURT HEARING, SAYS SAF

BELLEVUE, WA – Today’s oral arguments before the U.S. Supreme Court in the case of District of Columbia v Heller produced a clear victory for the individual citizen’s right to keep and bear arms, the Second Amendment Foundation said.

“We are confident,” said SAF founder Alan Gottlieb, “that the high court will hand down an opinion that affirms the Second Amendment means what it says. Based on the questions that the justices asked, it is clear that they read the amicus briefs submitted by our side in support of District resident **** Anthony Heller. We were impressed with the depth of questions asked by all of the justices, and we have no doubt that the court has a clear understanding of Second Amendment history, and that ‘the people’ are all citizens.

“We believe the District presented a very weak defense of its handgun ban that is not supported by court precedent or historical fact,” he continued. “Attorney Alan Gura, and Solicitor General Paul Clement, however, both provided a clear and proper perspective on the meaning of the Second Amendment. Mr. Gura’s remarks left the justices with a clear understanding why the District’s handgun ban is unconstitutional.”

Gottlieb believes that Gura, one of three attorneys representing District resident **** Anthony Heller, who is challenging the 32-year-old handgun ban, “won the oral argument.”

“While we do not expect the Supreme Court to strike down every gun law and regulation on the books,” Gottlieb said, “we anticipate that the court will rule once and for all that the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental individual civil right, and that gun bans, even on specific types of commonly-owned firearms, do not stand up under even modest scrutiny.

“An affirmative ruling, which we anticipate sometime in late June,” he concluded, “will provide a foundation upon which other Draconian firearms laws can be challenged, and more importantly, it will destroy a fantasy that has become a cornerstone argument for restrictive gun control laws. This should put an end to the lie that the Second Amendment only protects some mythical right of the states to organize a militia. That was not true when the amendment was written, it is not true today, and it will not be true tomorrow, regardless how hard extremist gun banners try to make it so.”

-END
    Last edited by HK4U; 03-18-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: change spelling of one word.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Thanks for posting that HK. That is really nice to read. I hope everything continues to go our way. The people have a right to keep and bear arms. Seems pretty clear to me.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Thanks for the reassuring post HK. This case seems like it should not be too difficult to decide, but I've been nervous about it anyway because you just never know how people/SCJustices are thinking or what they will be swayed by and I'd hate to have precedent set the wrong direction.

Thanks for the post, encouraging read, I do not see how it could go any other way, But I will not count my eggs until the offical decission is out.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" (George Washington)

It will be for not if federal marshel law is declared.

Sounds good to me! I have a good feeling about the outcome. If it goes our way then the real fight will begin!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

martial law

tial
    Quote Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
    It will be for not if federal marshel law is declared.

Since March 9, 1933, the United states has been in a state of national emergency. A majority of the people of the United States have their lives under emergency rule. For 40 years (now 72 years) freedoms and governmental procedures, guaranteed by the Constitution have, in varying degrees, been abridged by laws brought forth by states of national emergency."
    Senate Report 93-549 (1973

The truth of the matter is that you do have those standby provisions, and the statutory emergency plans are there whereby you could, in the name of stopping terrorism, apprehend, invoke the military, and arrest Americans and hold them in detention camps."
    U.S. Representative Henry Gonzalez, August 29, 1994
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

thanks for the post. that was great to read.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

You must be talking about my wife. Get milk or food its an emergency. The only emergency I have is picking a new Harley. HK you make it sound not so bad. Thank you.

Good read, looks like we are on the right path.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast