New Government Motors Contract - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Government Motors Contract

For the first time in many years I'm thinking about buying American. Ford took no bailout and seems to be making a great car again. I'm looking into a new F250. GM can go broke for all I care.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

General Motors did not go broke because of union labor. They went broke because of stupid and ineffective marketing practices. They built cars nobody wanted (too big, too fancy, etc) and because they quit building cars that the market did want (Lumina, Camarro, etc.) The so called "bean counters" decided to build glitzier and more expensive cars to make more money. They underestimated the intelligence of the American consumer and lost him to Ford and to the Japanese. Chrysler did the same. They just knew that every middle class American was going to buy their $60,000 diesel dualie Ram trucks so why market anything reasonable for the American family? Ford stuck to reliable , market selling brands and stayed in the business. The Mustang picked up the Camarro crowd, the Taurus picked up the Lumina crowd and the F150 standard sold to the pick up crowd. I wish everybody would quit blaming everybody else for the wealthy industrial groups that screwed themselves with bad marketing. They were the ones that pocketed the bailout money, btw. Labor didn't see a penny of it. We rewarded the bandits!

GM made 2.5 billion last quarter. that's about $500,000 profit per union employee per quarter, the equivalent of 2 million per union employee per year.

You think 100K of salary and benefits is too much for a person who turns 2 million in profit for the company?

Maybe we should be working to force the foreign companies exploiting US citizens to raise the pay instead of arguing for more exploitation of GM employees.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Yup. GM, Target Stores, Walgreens and a host of local businesses on my 'nope' list. Soon I'll have to get off the grid just to keep from funding anti's!
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    GM made 2.5 billion last quarter. that's about $500,000 profit per union employee per quarter, the equivalent of 2 million per union employee per year.

You think 100K of salary and benefits is too much for a person who turns 2 million in profit for the company?

Maybe we should be working to force the foreign companies exploiting US citizens to raise the pay instead of arguing for more exploitation of GM employees.
    The 2.5 billion was gross. If one understands the difference between gross and net then you understand how GM did not do as well as one thinks. After all, about $1500 per new GM vehicle cost is covering union retiree's benefits. So if you consider the thousands of retirees getting GM dollars you must agree that the $500,000 profit per union employee is a silly notion.

As for me, Ford rules. A true American company and one that did not bow at the altar of Obamunion. Ford is competing and competing well without taxpayor money. I was hoping Ford would indeed file bankruptcy tho and shed much of the union shackles, reorganize and become even more competitive with the foreign makers.

Foreign makers are not exploiting anyone. Purchasers of foreign vehicles choose to purchase them. It is called competition. Obamanoids are not forcing us to buy his company's cars, so I will happily replace my pick up eventually with a Ford.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

The 2.5 billion was "net profit" - if one doesn't understand the difference between net profit and gross receipts they shouldn't open their pie hole.

GM Net Income Increases 89 percent to $2.5 Billion

Now, what was that you were saying about Obama? He spends too much on education? Apparently he hasn't spent enough.

Wow!!!! You guys really hate the auto industry for getting bailed out??? And you focus your frustrations towards the works!!! Why??? The workers didn't make the choice but if asked every last one of us would try to keep our jobs!!!!! Let me ask you this how many of you have closed your financial accounts because your bank got bailout money???? How many of you still have your mortgage through the same company whom also has accepted bailout money???? I work for Ford personally but I have friends and family that work for Chrysler and GM!!!!!!! Basically you guys feel buy American as long they don't take bailout money!!!! LOL give me a break!!

Debray, I agree with most of what you say, I just cannot resist the urge to comment on afew things. First let me say I work at a Government Motors supplier company which is a union shop and cannot wait for the day I can find work elsewhere. I lost a very good paying job January 3rd 2007. We were told that we had to compete with our South American counterparts in order to survive and keep the doors open. Soon after that day in January the doors were closed for good even though the company was given tax breaks by the city and county and grants from the state, several years before that. We also went without a pay raise for over 5 years and had to start sharing cost of insurance benefits.

Government Motors didnt need the bailout solely because of the demands of the union and the members making 56 an hour with benefits. It is both sides of the table. A contract of any type is between 2 parties. Both sides of the table kept seeing bigger and bigger dollar signs. Eventually something has to give, (remember Eastern Airlines?) any company under negotiations at any time should of said, hey wait a minute is this necessary? Companies getting greedy, unions getting greedy for the wrong reasons. But on the other hand, who would do the work the American worker does for lesser reasonable pay? Our south of the border neighbors! Things have definately grown out of control. And how many things do we actually make here?

Like I said before, I cant wait to move to a diff job, I dont care much for unions because I believe they have gotten too big, and have lost the real reason for having a union. I really do not care for paying 2 hours pay a month toward union dues, and for what? I have yet to receive a bonus check even though I have to pay dues to the same union. I dont have good answers on this post, just my experience and my two cents of opinion.

Yes, I own a Ford sedan put together in Chicago, and a 1978 Ford truck put together in Canada. I will continue to buy Ford products for personal reasons and because they didnt take a huge bailout.

Just my two cents.
    The nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten
    VFW Life Member
    NRA Member

I wonder how many more people feel like you do in this hard economic times? Just asking...(And yes, we do own a F250.)
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Blog Entries
    Wjh2657,you said, “btw. Labor didn't see a penny of it.”
    I don’t know where you get your information.
    When General Motors was about to declare bankruptcy, the Obama administration created a new company — the “new” General Motors.
    The federal government got a 61 percent interest in the new car company, the United Auto Workers got a 17 percent interest, (“Why?) the Canadian government got a 12 percent interest, and bondholders (this includes stock held by pension plan owners) in the “old” General Motors got a 10 percent interest.
    In return, General Motors got a $9 billion loan from Canada, and another $50 billion from the United States government.
    Wait a minute! What about the people and institutions that owned stock in the “old” General Motors?
    Obama eliminated their stock holdings with the stroke of a pen. Their stock was now worthless.

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast