He Actually Wants Us to Reelect Him? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: He Actually Wants Us to Reelect Him?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by fuhr52 View Post
    I would be happy to annoy Soros but I'm not a democrat.
    Then you already annoy him.

  2.   
  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by fuhr52 View Post
    Damn girl, you better look over your shoulder, the social police will be watching.
    Fuhr52, too many people behave like there really are social police. The problem is, their fear of the imaginary "social police" has caused them to give up things like honesty, sincerity, integrity, veracity, forthrightness, objectivity, frankness. The public in general has given up offering their opinion for only one reason: The fear that if they have an opinion that in some way is against the President or his policies, they will be labeled a racist. I decided this wasn't going to work about one week and fourteen accusations into the Presidency. The reason that the Presidential supporters go with the "racist" defense is that they have no facts to use and they know that most people go on the defensive when the race card is played. I came up with some stock answers to use when I try to talk about policies and I get called that dirty name:

    "So are you. If you support someone only because they are a certain race, that is also being a racist."

    "So you know nothing about his policies or voting record and have a one-word emotional response?"

    "I have nine close African-American friends and one Nigerian Prince who will vouch for the fact that I am not racist...how about you?"

    "The Race Card! The last resort of the unintelligent and afraid. So are you afraid I have a valid argument or are you just stupid?"

    If you think a little bit you can make up your own and probably some more effective than this, but the important thing is to quit allowing people with one, little, tiny, emotional word the power to shut down your statement or argument or article that you are allowed by the only Amendment more important than the 2nd! If you are a racist or not is not the issue - you are allowed to state your opinion and especially the facts and disseminate them amongst other people and especially voters. DO NOT be dissuaded.
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

  4. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40FAN View Post
    Instead of telling us how to vote next year. Tell me how a republican would have played the same cards dealt over the last four years? Because everybody knows how the last eight before that were played!
    XD40FAN, What you ask, not just of a Republican candidate but any other, is of course impossible. I also don't think anyone here is telling anyone else how to vote, just giving opinions. As the old saying goes, "Hindsight is 20/20" and we all benefit from seeing what happens from an action actually being taken. However, what I keep asking myself is this: Had any other candidate done (fill in an action by current President), would the networks and the newspapers and public been so silent and so forgiving when the damage was so immediate and so glaring? As more and more of President Obama's actions stacked on top of each other, like tripling the National Debt with no noticeable benefit, I could not see a responsible Fourth Estate doing what they did. The entire media would have crucified a Caucasian candidate, I even believe they would've been attacking a Caucasian woman for what was done in the last few years, but something kept them from doing their job and a disservice was done, a disservice to the public, and a disservice to History.
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    "It goes without saying that 95% of our national debt could easily be eliminated." (Or are you referring to annual deficits, that ADD to the National debt?)
    No, I meant all of it.

    So MY draconian solution won't be necessary? How, pray tell, then, do we (as a Nation) back off from borrowing 40% of our ever "continuing resolution" budget? I don't have a solution that pleases you, I await your's. That 40% borrowing per annum is NOT going to go away by itself and HAS to be remedied soon.
    Does somebody pee in your corn flakes every morning or do you make every discussion confrontational? The first place to start alleviating the problem would be to stop doing what got us into the mess in the first place. We need to dump all of the nanny state entitlement spending that the federal government was never supposed to engage in in the first place and we need to stop spending money we don't have. The details involved would be more than the database of this forum could contain, and we could spend weeks trying to list them, but you know that as well as I do. I think we're both very aware that our government has branched far out into areas that it was never intended to be, and that is costing us money we never should have spent. But this isn't a political web site. Beyond generalities, unless it involves firearms, I don't think we need to burden this forum with those details. I have some pet peeves I could certainly name though, and I'm sure you do too. And I'd bet our thinking really isn't all that different on all this. The only part we differ on is that I know not every government program will have to be severely slashed because not every government program got us into this mess.

    If there exist so many self sacrificing, "greater good of the society" citizens in tune with your view of the average american.... why is it that their "Representitives" are completely unable to settle on a way and means of reducing Government spending? I suggest that it is nothing more than individual "Not in my back yard" attitudes transmitted to Congress loud and clear. Everyone just trying to preserve their rice bowl. (Survival IS one of the basest human needs, you know. Thus it is to be expected.)
    Too many of them are politicians first and representatives second. We're starting to see some change though. There's a new breed of representatives in Congress that was elected on the groundswell of backlash from angry citizens such as ourselves during the last election. Those representatives are standing their ground and refusing to compromise their principles. Some of our other elected officials have gotten the message and are holding their ground as well. That's why you're hearing all this talk about government shutdown right now. Will there be enough of them? Will they hold their ground enough to make the difference? Will they hold there ground long enough? Will we elect more like them next year? I don't know, but I sure as hell hope so. But one thing is for sure. Somebody elected those people. It was mainly those Americans you think don't exist.

    Yeah, I know how complex Economics are, I have a Masters in Finance with a strong second in Economics. However, posts being what they are, one tries to keep it simple. But, the short version is a rough and valid statement of trends/facts.
    I understand and agree. My apologies in that regard.

    Lastly, I might observe that if, as you claim, that there are so many solid, righteous Americans existant, just how is it that we have managed to allow this Nation to get into the present state of affairs to begin with? Or are those Americans you refer to so far in the minority that they don't make a difference any more? (That's a rhetorical question. I don't need an answer, I have spent many a year observing my fellow man. My conclusions seem to differ from your's and I resent the implication that your VAST experience in the world qualifies you to question mine.)

    So take your smugness and smoke it! LOL!
    Has it occurred to you that mistaking disagreement with smugness might mean you're arrogant? I responded the way I did simply due to the way you responded to my post. I'm always happy to respond cordially. I greatly prefer it in fact. But I will usually respond in kind to nasty posts directed at me. Try checking the mirror before slinging labels.

    I'll respond to your rhetorical question anyway. While most Americans at their root have a good heart, one of their main failings is assuming that everyone else does as well. The vast majority of Americans are ill informed and easily swayed. Given that the American media is by and large politically biased, it is easily understandable that the American public, the electorate, would vote in a fashion that, albeit with very good intentions, was not in their long term best interests. Only in recent years are we starting to see a reversal in that trend, mainly due to the internet and the ability it provides for news distribution that is not centrally controlled by large news conglomerates. No longer does a biased news media have the stranglehold on news and ideas in this country that it once had. We still have a long way to go in that area. There are still too many people who trust our mainstream media implicitly. But the advances we have made in the last few years have been enormous.

    But you don't need me to tell you that these Americans we've been talking about truly exist. You can see them for yourself. Visit a few conservative political forums on the internet. They've been clamoring for these cuts for many years and those sites have many thousands of members. And those members are only a representative sample of many more people who don't post to online forums, just as we here are only a representative sample of people with concealed carry licenses.

    And it's really a different topic but if you think our military budget should be decided by some kind of sense of 'fair share' instead of our defense needs then you've really got to be kidding me.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
    I came up with some stock answers to use when I try to talk about policies and I get called that dirty name.
    I usually just laugh and ask them if they're unable to come up with an intelligent response.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

  7. #36
    Rhino: 1) Does disagreement with your version(s) equate to confrontational? Would agreement with you appease you? (I truly HATE being "confrontational"! It "offends" some people. LOL!)

    2) I believe your earlier post alluded to my apparent lack of understanding and interrelationship with my fellow man. I posted in retort to that implication, and to your indication that YOUR "experience" in these matters were somehow superior to mine. If that be "arrogance" on my part, so be it.

    3) If you look at the title of this particular forum, you will find that it is, indeed, about Politics.

    4) ALL OF THE NATIONAL DEBT???? ALL nearly 15 Trillion? Easily eliminated? I await with bated breath your "ways and means" on THAT little magic trick. (Oh. Official Government disavowel of the debt is not a solution.)

    5) The military is going to take a beating and get trimmed right along with any and everything else. Don't kid yourself that it won't. (It's mainly how Clinton came near to balancing the budget..... Dems don't forget a technique, even if the circumstances have changed to the point where using that approach alone have made it moot.) Even the phrase "defense needs" is widely variable and open ended.

    Just sayin'....

    GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Rhino: 1) Does disagreement with your version(s) equate to confrontational? Would agreement with you appease you? (I truly HATE being "confrontational"! It "offends" some people. LOL!)
    Disagreement doesn't equate to confrontational and I wasn't offended. You just seemed itching for an argument.

    2) I believe your earlier post alluded to my apparent lack of understanding and interrelationship with my fellow man. I posted in retort to that implication, and to your indication that YOUR "experience" in these matters were somehow superior to mine. If that be "arrogance" on my part, so be it.
    You know for a fact that not everybody fits the definition you provided but you seemed like you were refusing to relent because you were itching to continue the fight. That's what came across as arrogance. And you know that everybody doesn't fit the definition because you yourself don't fit the definition. What you've posted here proves it. You know that drastic cuts need to be made, even if they end up affecting you, so your definition of everyone in America being unwilling to do that is false. I'm the same way and there are many more just like us. That was the point I was trying to make and the one you seemed hell bent on trying to disprove, even though you yourself are at least partial proof that it's true.

    3) If you look at the title of this particular forum, you will find that it is, indeed, about Politics.
    Touche. I keep forgetting to check the subforum headings when I find threads in New Posts. Mea culpa.

    4) ALL OF THE NATIONAL DEBT???? ALL nearly 15 Trillion? Easily eliminated? I await with bated breath your "ways and means" on THAT little magic trick. (Oh. Official Government disavowel of the debt is not a solution.)
    I never suggested they disavow the debt, nor would I. We could spend months going back and forth on the possibilities to reduce the debt. I really don't want to spend all of my spare time here doing that, especially since I suspect we would agree on most of it. But obviously the first thing to do would be to stop spending more than we take in. DUH! (not directed at you).

    The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but a swindling futurity on a large scale.
    --- Thomas Jefferson

    Repealing Obamacare would be first on my list. Then I'd take a very large knife to entitlement spending in general. It isn't supposed to be the federal government's job to support people.

    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    --- Thomas Jefferson

    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    --- Thomas Jefferson

    I cannot undertake to lay my finger upon an article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.
    --- James Madison

    Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated.
    --- Thomas Jefferson

    With respect to the words "general welfare," I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators.
    --- James Madison

    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
    --- Thomas Jefferson

    As you may have guessed, I love quotes from the Founding Fathers. I know most of that is probably wasted on you because I'm sure you're already aware of most of it. But others here may not realize the extent that our government has extended beyond the boundaries that it was supposed to.

    5) The military is going to take a beating and get trimmed right along with any and everything else. Don't kid yourself that it won't.
    My point was that our defense spending should be dictated by our defense needs. To gut our military and make us vulnerable because of some moral sensibility would be stupidity of the highest order.

    (It's mainly how Clinton came near to balancing the budget..... Dems don't forget a technique, even if the circumstances have changed to the point where using that approach alone have made it moot.) Even the phrase "defense needs" is widely variable and open ended.
    The idea that Clinton nearly balanced the budget is also widely variable and open ended. It didn't happen except on paper, and only when his people controlled the pens doing the writing. He also doubled the size of the non-military government at the same time he was decimating our military, so there was no net savings realized.

    Just sayin'....

    GG
    Yeah, I know. Me too. Like I said, we could go round and round for months on this stuff. And also like I said, I doubt we'd be all that far apart on most of the issues. We both agree that some major cuts would have to occur, and soon. And you can bet there's gonna be some major screaming, crying and oh my God 'Chicken Little screaming' like you've never heard before! Every little cut is going to sound like the end of the world when these people get their say so in the media, which reminds me of one more Founder's quote...

    The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but the newspapers.
    --- Thomas Jefferson
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

  9. #38
    You see? We do manage to "get along". On the other hand, debate on points are, by necessity, "confrontational". (i.e. "confronting" the other POV with your POV.)

    It never ceases to amaze me how "clairvoyant" the Founding Fathers were and how long their utterances have stood the test of time and relevance. (One of the reasons why the Lib/Dem/Prog coalition diminishes the pertainence of the Constitution. Like Obama says, it tends to limit what Government can do. No kidding, oh ingenious one! Exactly what it was designed to do!)

    That's why I "cautioned" my words by using "nearly balanced". While a lot of it was creative accounting, one DOES have to admit that those "budgets" were closer to balance than any recently observed in our Nation. (I know.... "extenuating circumstances"! DOESN'T in any way affect the resultant fiscal mess we find ourselves in.)

    On the question of "vunerability"..... our much vaunted military omnipresence didn't deter 9/11, nor has it prevented a technical "invasion" of millions of illegals across our sovereign Southern Border. Perhaps it is the definition of defense that needs readdressing, rather than the guys, girls, goodies and gear proliferation and collection.

    As for the "fellow man" business. I suspect that you have not yet reached the cynical levels of life introspection and observation that I have. More better man you for that. You believe in the basic "goodness" of your fellows. I, from long personal experience, am not so inclined to "believe".

    Many was the time in my youth, my "exploratory years", when I exuded great faith and trust in my fellow man. Often a source of great dissappointment for me. Thus, I learned not to expect too much from my fellow man, and am seldom dissappointed any longer. (Although it still leaves room for pleasant surprises from time to time. LOL!)

    Hate to "be that way", but time and experience really ARE the prime teachers in life. "Realpolitic" writ large.

    GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast