Should a convicted felon be allowed to carry firearm - Page 13
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a convicted felon be allowed to carry firearm

Quote Originally Posted by accidentalfelon View Post
    Concealed carry was a misdemeaner an a $600 fine at that time.

We had cash. We had a natural right to self protection. Not much different from speeding your wife to the hospital to give birth. Its you middle of the roaders who make every excuse for the actions of our government has who have put us as a nation at risk of losing all our rights .

Dont try to make my actions into a felony. It was a simple finable offense.
    Not trying to make you into a felon (assuming your story is 100% accurate. No offense but I've found that most people "falsely charged" by the police have a tendency to leave out an important detail or two when relating their story of "innocence" to others). But your earlier action that evening (deciding to CC) lit the fuse for what later blew up into your face. Again...had you chose to respect the law in the first place, you wouldn't have this problem. I don't like the law that prohibits me from carrying in a post office, but you know what - I obey the law anyways because (as you found out) the risk isn't always worth the reward.

BTW, since you ignored a firearm law 20 yrs ago, a law you obviously considered unjust, why don't you just ignore this one as well?? Has the tiger lost some of his teeth?? Do you now think it's a bad idea to ignore a firearm law?? Too bad you didn't feel that way that night in Chicago.

Some of us "middle-of-the-roaders" don't like it when people point fingers and make excuses instead of taking responsibility for their own actions.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by accidentalfelon View Post
    Concealed carry was a misdemeaner an a $600 fine at that time.

We had cash. We had a natural right to self protection. Not much different from speeding your wife to the hospital to give birth. Its you middle of the roaders who make every excuse for the actions of our government has who have put us as a nation at risk of losing all our rights .

Dont try to make my actions into a felony. It was a simple finable offense.
    I am with you on that. Your problem was not the fact that you a gun on you, it was the armed robbery you got stuck with.

You would have found more sympathy here if you didn't keep trying to say we are naive. But since you did I am less likely to overlook some parts of your story like
    ...needing to identify your partner as "a man of color"....
    ...your story changing from "our jackets may have opened" to "his jacket having opened"...
    ...the street vendor being the uber pick pocket, and what guy allows someone else to put a necklace around his neck?....
    ...The vendor/police conspiracy to "frame" you...
    ...the uber pickpocket also being a blackmail artist...

I could go on but i am bored of pointing these things out.

One more.... I liked how you tried to use the bible to justify your crime. Sorry your plan to break the law didn't play out like you wanted. Is't it naive to think that you could control the results of your crime?

5. I only started with naive because in 13 pages of discussion it was still predicated on the naive assumption that all the guys who are convicted or plea bargain are guilty.

I apologize for the initial offense. I still carry a chip on my shoulder about this because too many people think it can't happen to them.

You guys can pick my story apart all you like. The fact is, this happened over 20 years ago. I've got a great life other than that crap hanging over my head for the rest of my life. I make a good living, I'm respected in the community and I'm involved in local politics. There's just no reason for this to hang over my head after my so-called "debt" to society has been paid whether I was guilty or not. With all that said there's no reason for me to lie about any of it. There's no benefit to lying about any of it.

I identified my employee as a "man of color" because no white people were injured by the guards. They just came in beating up all the "people of color" assuming they were all gang members. If he hand't had his ribs broken he probably would have never plead guilty to get out and I would have fought it to the end. He was my friend and a good investigator. I think he was treated as a common criminal because of his race even more than I was.

My story about the jackets hasn't changed at all. It's all assumption on my part because I have no idea how the "victim" saw the gun. It's all speculation. I was running. I guess it could have been my gun he saw, but since his story never mentioned that I had a gun at all, I could only assume that he only saw my employees weapon.

There's no point in bringing anything further in my narrative out in discussion. I told is as it happened and you don't know me from Adam and you can either take it all as the truth or dismiss whatever parts it takes to convince yourself that I deserved what I got. I don't have any control over your thought process.

As far as the Bible goes I suppose you think Joseph "deserved" his attempted rape conviction because he shouldn't have been in the house alone with Potipher's wife. Just like my friend letting the guy help him "try on" the necklace, if you don't live your life conspiring to steal from others it's hard to anticipate what theives, con artists or pickpockets are going to do in advance.

Take it or leave it. It could have been any of you guys.

And you guys are right about one thing, I couldn't care less about any laws that artificially take away my right to protect my family or property. I didn't care about them then and I don't care about them now. They are illegal laws. No one should honor them. That's just my opinion. I know that might stir up some strife here, but the fact is, if our founding fathers had felt any other way we'd all be without arms and still subject to the king. There are times when civil disobedience is the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    You would have found more sympathy here if you didn't keep trying to say we are naive. But since you did I am less likely to overlook some parts of your story like
    ...needing to identify your partner as "a man of color"....
    ...your story changing from "our jackets may have opened" to "his jacket having opened"...
    ...the street vendor being the uber pick pocket, and what guy allows someone else to put a necklace around his neck?....
    ...The vendor/police conspiracy to "frame" you...
    ...the uber pickpocket also being a blackmail artist...

I could go on but i am bored of pointing these things out.

One more.... I liked how you tried to use the bible to justify your crime. Sorry your plan to break the law didn't play out like you wanted. Is't it naive to think that you could control the results of your crime?
    He was not committing a crime, he was committing at best a misdemeanor, even in IL the law was a bit more lenient 20 years ago. The "crime" part only comes in after being accused of robbery. Why are you on such a lofty position, have you never ignored a law or bent it a little? No offense intended but I have to ask.

And I agree with this whole discussion being naive, as I have said before, actual criminals don't give a damn whether or not they are supposed to be able to own firearms. All that effort spend on trying to control people should be directed towards punishing the actual violent criminals.

I wonder how many of the people who are being hard on accidentalfelon, or refuse to restore RKBA to felons are perfectly will to carry into a place with a no-guns sign?
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    He was not committing a crime, he was committing at best a misdemeanor, even in IL the law was a bit more lenient 20 years ago. The "crime" part only comes in after being accused of robbery. Why are you on such a lofty position, have you never ignored a law or bent it a little? No offense intended but I have to ask.

And I agree with this whole discussion being naive, as I have said before, actual criminals don't give a damn whether or not they are supposed to be able to own firearms. All that effort spend on trying to control people should be directed towards punishing the actual violent criminals.
    Have I ever carried a firearm illegally? No. Have I ever comitted a felony? No. And how is a misdemenor not a crime? Is a misdemenor that spirals out of control still a misdemenor.. aparently not.

And for the record... The whole criminals don't follow the law so why do we have them is such a piece of crap. Laws like locks keep honest people honest. And they are the same measure by which criminals are judged and sentenced. If you don't like a law then get it changed.... or just continually whine about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
    I wonder how many of the people who are being hard on accidentalfelon, or refuse to restore RKBA to felons are perfectly will to carry into a place with a no-guns sign?
    Good question! I will be eager to know the answer to this one....
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    Have I ever carried a firearm illegally? No. Have I ever comitted a felony? No. And how is a misdemenor not a crime? Is a misdemenor that spirals out of control still a misdemenor.. aparently not.

And for the record... The whole criminals don't follow the law so why do we have them is such a piece of crap. Laws like locks keep honest people honest. And they are the same measure by which criminals are judged and sentenced. If you don't like a law then get it changed.... or just continually whine about it.
    You would have a better point if criminals really did get charged and sentenced by those laws but I don't believe that happens as much as you might think. Gun possesion charges usually get dropped in cases involving hardened criminals because there's either a better charge available already or will be shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    You would have a better point if criminals really did get charged and sentenced by those laws but I don't believe that happens as much as you might think. Gun possesion charges usually get dropped in cases involving hardened criminals because there's either a better charge available already or will be shortly.
    Incorrect. Many states will not allow (by law) the plea bargain to eliminate a charge of criminal possession of a weapon. In NYS as well as many others you must serve a minimum sentence for the possession and such sentence may not run concurrently with any other sentence. Thus you don't escape the gun charge.

For example, in a case of armed robbery the perp is charged with armed robbery, criminal use of a weapon and criminal possession of a weapon. The criminal use charge may be used as a bargaining chip to get the perp to accept a plea to armed robbery and CPW. But the CPW charge must remain.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast