Should a convicted felon be allowed to carry firearm - Page 14
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Should a convicted felon be allowed to carry firearm

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    You would have a better point if criminals really did get charged and sentenced by those laws but I don't believe that happens as much as you might think. Gun possesion charges usually get dropped in cases involving hardened criminals because there's either a better charge available already or will be shortly.
    I'll expand a bit on BC1's post by saying that most gun charges come as a result of the perp being busted for some other minor offense. At that point, especially here in Florida (and other states with mandatory minimums in such cases) the gun charge becomes not only the most serious charge but the easiest to prove as well. Almost all are open and shut cases and the result is a felon who's apparently still a threat goes to jail, directly to jail....do not pass "Go"....do not collect $200.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by accidentalfelon View Post
    And you guys are right about one thing, I couldn't care less about any laws that artificially take away my right to protect my family or property. I didn't care about them then and I don't care about them now. They are illegal laws. No one should honor them. That's just my opinion. I know that might stir up some strife here, but the fact is, if our founding fathers had felt any other way we'd all be without arms and still subject to the king. There are times when civil disobedience is the only option.
    You don't like them, I don't like them, but they're not illegal. The restrictive gun laws of Illinois (and other states) have been enacted using the "due process" that's prescribed in the Constitution itself. The Supreme Court has repeatedly upheld those laws as being within the bounds of the Constitution.

I respect the process that brought about these laws, even the ones I don't like.....and if I choose to bend or break a law, I won't complain if I get caught and punished. I was well aware of the risk I was taking. You're walking on a very slippery slope. According to you, it's OK for someone to simply ignore a law they consider "illegal" or unjust. Do I need to go into the can of worms that gets opened with that kind of thinking???

You decided to break a firearm law, and you decided to do it in a notoriously anti-gun state. You also failed to take into account how things can snowball and get out of control in a way you didn't think of. Now you're complaining but it's your fault although it's apparent you don't want to take responsibility for your actions and the repercussions that followed. Sorry, but you don't change the rules once the game has started.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I'll expand a bit on BC1's post by saying that most gun charges come as a result of the perp being busted for some other minor offense. At that point, especially here in Florida (and other states with mandatory minimums in such cases) the gun charge becomes not only the most serious charge but the easiest to prove as well. Almost all are open and shut cases and the result is a felon who's apparently still a threat goes to jail, directly to jail....do not pass "Go"....do not collect $200.
    An aquaintance of mine wrote a book called Brooklyn Bounce. He was a beat cop in New Lots, the most notorious, crime-ridden section of Brooklyn, NY in the 80's and 90's. In his book, Joe Poss explains that whenever he chased a perp the gun would go flying. He had to make the choice between chasing the perp, who now doesn't have the gun, or stoppin g to retrieve the gun. If he chases the perp the gun takes a "Brooklyn Bounce" directly into the hands of another perp and the evidence is long gone.

Great book for anyone who wants a real-life account of LE in the hood --> Amazon.com: Brooklyn Bounce: The True-Life Adventures of a Good Cop in a Bad Precinct (9780380773374): Joe Poss, Henry R. Schlesinger: Books
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Incorrect. Many states will not allow (by law) the plea bargain to eliminate a charge of criminal possession of a weapon. In NYS as well as many others you must serve a minimum sentence for the possession and such sentence may not run concurrently with any other sentence. Thus you don't escape the gun charge.

For example, in a case of armed robbery the perp is charged with armed robbery, criminal use of a weapon and criminal possession of a weapon. The criminal use charge may be used as a bargaining chip to get the perp to accept a plea to armed robbery and CPW. But the CPW charge must remain.
    Well if you want to count on that alright.

6. So, after 20 years, no felonies, no misdemeanors, and three speeding tickets it is somehow "justice" that I have to break the law to keep a gun next to my bed to keep my family safe in the middle of the night?

It's Justice that my 9 yr old daughter can go to the range and shoot a 9mm but I can't travel in the same car with the ammo?

It's somehow O.K. that, because I didn't want to walk, as a stranger on the streets of Chicago, unarmed with $2k + in my wallet (for our trip) that now I have to put some contracts in my wife's name because of a 20 year old lie?

Our founding fathers would have probably taken your guns away too. You don't deserve them. You aren't willing to fight for them. I wouldn't want to stand next to any of you guys putting forth this junk in a real firefight for our lives.

Go get some posterboard and protest. That's all you have left at this point.

(There are lots of people who understand what has happened here. Don't take offense if you are one of those people. It's the enablers of the anti-gun lobby I'm addressing here. They don't know who they are. But you guys do.

So, after 20 years, no felonies, no misdemeanors, and three speeding tickets it is somehow "justice" that I have to break the law to keep a gun next to my bed to keep my family safe in the middle of the night?
    It's not against the law if your wife is in the house. Your restrictions don't trump her rights.

It's Justice that my 9 yr old daughter can go to the range and shoot a 9mm but I can't travel in the same car with the ammo?
    Please see my closing statement for an answer to this.

It's somehow O.K. that, because I didn't want to walk, as a stranger on the streets of Chicago, unarmed with $2k + in my wallet (for our trip) that now I have to put some contracts in my wife's name because of a 20 year old lie?
    If you were that worried then why go to Chicago in the first place?? Why go out?? Why deal with a "street vendor"?? (read: shady guy on the street selling probably-hot merchandise)

Our founding fathers would have probably taken your guns away too. You don't deserve them. You aren't willing to fight for them. I wouldn't want to stand next to any of you guys putting forth this junk in a real firefight for our lives.
    Huh??

Go get some posterboard and protest. That's all you have left at this point.
    Sounds like you're the one protesting. You need the sign.

For the record I think you got railroaded (If the story you told is accurate. No offense but that's a big "if"), but in the end my opinion doesn't matter. It's the legal system that matters.

Well, I guess you should have asked yourself - "What's the worst case scenario if I break this law and is it worth the risk??" We all know why you broke the law - because you thought you could get away with it. Well you were wrong and now you want to blame everyone else. Instead of embracing the reality of what is legal and what isn't, you choose to live in a self-centered world of wishful thinking. The universe doesn't revolve around you and what you consider right or wrong, legal or illegal, just or unjust. Your story is an excellent cautionary tale of what the rest of us shouldn't do. Seriously, thank you for relating it to us.

8. In answer to your one ridiculous question I went to Chicago because I could. I went there because I am free as a citizen of this country to travel. I am free to protect myself. I am free from illegal searches and seizures. I'm free to worship how I please.

It's not your place to restrict me on how I do it via legislation anymore than is would be if you kidnapped me and forced my to do your bidding.

As I stated, if you had bothered to read, I didn't have anything to do with the vendor. My employee did. We were on our own time. He was a good guy. We were armed, as we should have been as Americans. (Please look up the states' initial requirements that ALL able bodied men be armed) There was no reason for us to fear anything. I fear nothing today. I am only saddened by the state of our country today.

Your constant insinuation that my "story" may not be accurate reminds me of some of the ex wives we used to investigate. They always accused the husband of cheating. It was beyond their comprehension that anyone could simply be telling the truth, because it's not in their heart to just simply tell the truth. Is that your problem?

Lastly, what I consider legal or illegal is irrelevant. The constitution is very clear. It wasn't until the 14th amendment was ratified that required the states to recognize the same rights the constitution recognizes across the board. Prior to that, it may have been ok for a state to limit a citizen's right to carry arms, OR worship how he pleases, or search his property at will. But after that amendment the states no longer enjoyed that freedom to trample rights. After that, any laws that conflict with those rights are illegal and it is our duty and our responsibility as citizens to fight against such tyranny with the same fervor our forefathers did.

There will always be rationalizers and cowards. They existed during the American Revolution too.

Have you chosen your side? Benedict Arnold was a famous Loyalist. He was on the side of freedom, but he allowed the "logic" of the Tories to convince him to change to the side of slavery. I'm sure he would make a fine ally in trying to convince all of us that the best thing we can do is simply "obey the law".

I only told of my experience to let everyone know that not everyone "caught up" in the system is guilty. I am a happy husband and father. I have a happy and comfortable life. I exercise my God given HUMAN right to self protection and will do so till he takes me from here.

I hold the same belief in regards to the guilty. It's very simple. Thomas Jefferson said it best: "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms".

If one is "safe" enough to be "free" in society, then he needs to be armed. For the protection of himself, his family and his country. If one is deemed to be "unsafe" to be free in society then he needs to remain incarcerated. It doesn't get any simpler than that and doesn't require 10,000 different laws on the books to enforce around the country.

Wow. You get punished and the whole country is going to hell in a handbasket, and anyone who dares not agree with you 100% is a "Benedict Arnold". Sounds like you might need to dial down your hyper-inflated sense of self importance.

If you really had a problem with Chicago's laws prior to your arrest, you'd have done what many here have said - not set foot in the place and certainly not spend any money there.

Walking around the streets of Chicago at night, illegally carrying guns and with $2k cash in your pocket. Are you sure cheap gold chains were the only thing you were looking to buy??? No debit card on you?? Or did you know that the "vendor" you were looking for wouldn't take Visa/MC?? What part of your sob story are you conveniently leaving out??? Ask 20 people with criminal records what their "story" is and you'll be lucky if you get 1 accurate rendition of what really happened.

It's always the loser who wants to change the rules after the game is over. Best of luck with your crusade.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    It's always the loser who wants to change the rules after the game is over. Best of luck with your crusade.
    I guess he won't be getting a CCW Badge anytime soon.

There is a difference between being a victim and playing the victim.

Everything from your username to the details in your posts screams that this is every ones fault but yours. You can dig up ask the quotes you want, and point out how the world us out to get you all you want, but at the end if the day you are still a felon.

And it all results from the decisions you made.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast