Should a convicted felon be allowed to carry firearm - Page 2
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a convicted felon be allowed to carry firearm

1. depends on the crime

I think if the felony involved using a gun then that person should forfeit his right to bear arms. I would include dealing in stolen firearms with this.

IMO nope, u lost that right they day u went to jail. if it was a mis charge then whatever, but a felony charge... sorry. u lose.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jay Neumann View Post
    Yes to some and No to others! Common sense people. Violent = No, Peace=Yes./;
    Yet we deem those convicted of violent felonies as safe enough to walk around in public unsupervised....

If the person is free to walk around in public unsupervised, then they should be allowed to exercise their right to self protection by carrying a gun.

If the person has proven themselves to be a danger to the public, then they shouldn't be in public.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

5. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Would you give a firearm to the child molester that killed our little guy? He served time for our nine-year-old and upon release tried to do it again. He then served 10 years for attempting to kill two six-year-old boys. He's now free again. I've since caught him trying to setup an overnight camping trip for elementary school-age boys. An friend who is a retired FBI profiler beleives he'll kill again.

In cases where the felony was for DUI or some other low level crime I would agree to restore their rights. Anyone who committed a violent felony or misdemeanor level person-on-person crime should not get their rights back. Make an announcement... anyone convicted of a violent crime loses their rights. Now they commit crimes with full knowledge of the consequences.
    More people die from drunk drivers every year than homicides committed with a gun...

and what about all those people who say alcohol and guns never mix? According to them, if the person is prone to mix alcohol and driving, why would they be dissuaded from mixing alcohol and guns?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Would you give a firearm to the child molester that killed our little guy? He served time for our nine-year-old and upon release tried to do it again. He then served 10 years for attempting to kill two six-year-old boys. He's now free again. I've since caught him trying to setup an overnight camping trip for elementary school-age boys. An friend who is a retired FBI profiler beleives he'll kill again.

In cases where the felony was for DUI or some other low level crime I would agree to restore their rights. Anyone who committed a violent felony or misdemeanor level person-on-person crime should not get their rights back. Make an announcement... anyone convicted of a violent crime loses their rights. Now they commit crimes with full knowledge of the consequences.
    First, let me say, I'm so sorry for what you and your child had to go through. As a victim of child abuse/molestation I FULLY support the DEATH penalty for pedophiles.

I also support the death penalty for anyone who drives drunk and kills another human being.
    (I lost my dad when I was 9 to a drunk driver.)

Years ago I was arrested and almost convicted of assault with intent to murder; (A violent crime). Of course, it was self defense. But, that didn't matter to some people that were trying to make a name for themselves. Fortunately, the judge ruled in my favor. But, I know there are people that get convicted of such crimes who shouldn't have to go to prison; yet end up there anyway. This experience is one reason I believe even violent criminals (in some instances) should get their 2nd AM rights back after they serve their time.

-

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Yet we deem those convicted of violent felonies as safe enough to walk around in public unsupervised....

If the person is free to walk around in public unsupervised, then they should be allowed to exercise their right to self protection by carrying a gun.

If the person has proven themselves to be a danger to the public, then they shouldn't be in public.
    Basically, what I believe too Navy.

8. What if I caught a pervert about to commit a sex crime with a child and I shot him? Obviously I'd most likely go to jail unless he was armed and about to blow my head off. Think about that though. We all scream second amendment yet whenever its infringed upon we raise hell yet here everybody is choosing who should and shouldn't be able to carry a gun. The poster above me was right on when he said if we are deemed safe enough for society than we should be able to protect ourselves. Heck its just as easy to obtain a gun illegally. Also since a cop can't just pick and choose who he asks for info from while you're carrying a felon could just as easily want around and OC, or even CC.

I would tend to agree with those who say a debt paid is a debt paid. If you are a free man (served your sentence, no probation, no parole, no warrants or holds, no restraining orders) you should have the same rights as anyone who has never committed a felony.

Now, having said that, the other half of the equation is stiffer sentences for violent crimes. Child molestation is one of the highest repeated crimes out there, and yet we see people doing 5-7 years, and then back prowling the parks and schools. Absolutely unconscionable. You cant tell me that man is any less a threat to society.

Same goes for gang violence. You do your time and get kicked out and go right back to hang out with the same morons you got into trouble with in the first place, and you are no less a threat to society than before.

We need to change our attitude toward crime and punishment. Only then can we be reasonably sure that the people on the streets should be entrusted with the full rights of a free man. No half-citizens.

in Texas and most states if you have been convicted of a Felony, you will be unable to obtain a CHL /CCW permit. Even if you have paid your time. You still have the felony conviction for the rest of your life.

Sorry. no can do on that one.

commiting a crime is a choice, you had your chance to make the correct choice before you commited the crime.

The felon made its choice by commiting the crime....All choices have consequences Providence Ranch.

This is life, not a borad game. You do not get a REDO in life.

I wish We did, but that is why your moma told you, be careful what you do... or your going to pay for it later.

you do a felony, you pay the crime and do the time, but you are scared for life.

So the moral of the story.. Stay clean and keep your rights, if not your going to loose them.

Just like the people that carry, you keep clean you have the privilige to carry it, you make a mistake you get the privilige taken away, just like kids.

if a kid is being a bad apple, do you reward him/her for being bad? no

Good or bad actions have equal consequences. right?

or Am I to to old fashion?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast