Should a convicted felon be allowed to carry firearm - Page 3
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a convicted felon be allowed to carry firearm

IMO anyone convicted of a sex crime against a minor should never be released until the needle is pulled from his/her arm.

A felony conviction once it is resolved, IE served your time and no probation/parole, pardoned, exc then I say yes for owning/carrying firearms. Im not sure if it is still a felony, but in MA it was a felony to mess with your inspection sticker on your car. DUI is a misdermeaner here but getting one is a forever loss of you 2nd amendment right here. There are more than a few different opinions here but just because it is a felony i dont feel it should be a lifetime ban.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray2100 View Post
    Just like the people that carry, you keep clean you have the privilige to carry it, you make a mistake you get the privilige taken away...
    So, you apparently (from your statement) feel that it is a privilege, rather than a right, to keep and bear arms.

In that case, can we assume you would have no problem with the government withdrawing that privilege from anyone they desire, for whatever reason? If you can deny the "privilege" to a person because they once committed a crime, why not because they are too stupid...or because they have been known to criticize the government?

If you really believe that the government is to citizens as parents are to children, then there sould be no limits on what the government can do...since it is their right to grant or deny privileges.

Personally, if it is a privilege and not a right, I think that people who are willing to refuse another the privilege self-defense should also be denied that privilege (darn...I almost inadvertently called it a right...silly me).

@stingray2100...You obviously did not read my entire post. Yes, choices come with consequences. I have worked with convicted felons for almost two decades now. Plus I've made my own share of mistakes, as we all have. But my opinion is that the justice system has too few teeth when it comes to handing out punishment that deters crime. Laws don't deter crime, punishment does. So if the current punishment isn't doing it, then the answer is simple. Personally, I respond quite well to a $500 fine for a red light violation. Others might need to have their license revoked and their car impounded. Bottom line, only when punishment becomes a deterrent can we be confident that an ex felon may have learned his or her lesson. That would be the time I would support giving such a person back all of his or her rights.

5. The founding fathers were all felons. Just something to think about.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

So privileges like voting should be (and are, across the country,) restored, but not the right to have an effective means of self defense? Interesting.

If they've served their time, and are safe enough to be out from under all post-release control, then restore all rights. If they're not safe enough to out and about, don't let them out and about.

Those of you who so easily talk about executing anyone convicted of a crime should take a look at the Innocence Project and learn how often people are wrongfully convicted of crimes.
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

Anyone convicted of a NON VIOLENT Felony that has completed his/her sentence and any required probation/restitution should automatically have all their rights (to include 2nd amendment rights) restored.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

8. If the crime didint involve a firearm then yes some things can't be forgiven

The longer I deal with firearms and laws the more I realize the absence of a fundamental realization: The law should go after people that USE guns illegally or for illicit purposes not spend all it's time fiddling with who should or should not be able to own and carry etc etc etc. That's all based on the delusional idea that this will prevent anybody (just because it's against the law) from doing it and to give prosecutors additional charges to file which they rarely do.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The founding fathers were all felons. Just something to think about.
    Along with many of our distant relatives. Many would have been charged with treason if caught and tried by the King's troops.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray2100 View Post
    commiting a crime is a choice, you had your chance to make the correct choice before you commited the crime.

The felon made its choice by commiting the crime....All choices have consequences Providence Ranch.

This is life, not a borad game. You do not get a REDO in life.

I wish We did, but that is why your moma told you, be careful what you do... or your going to pay for it later.

you do a felony, you pay the crime and do the time, but you are scared for life.

So the moral of the story.. Stay clean and keep your rights, if not your going to loose them.

Just like the people that carry, you keep clean you have the privilige to carry it, you make a mistake you get the privilige taken away, just like kids.

if a kid is being a bad apple, do you reward him/her for being bad? no

Good or bad actions have equal consequences. right?

or Am I to to old fashion?
    Stingray, I wish you had been exposed to some of the people to which I have been "privileged" to run into in my life.

First, a family member who gave me the "gift" of a brand-new item, only to find out when I went to register it that it was stolen. Luckily, because I had no record and I "dropped dime" on him, I didn't wind up with a felony Receiving Stolen Goods charge.

Second was a very close friend that panicked during a locker search in High School and decided to dump his pot through a slot between our lockers into mine. Between a very perceptive cop that saw the scrape marks on the joints, found the slot and, again, my spotless record, I avoided a drug charge.

These were just two of the felonies that I should have legally been charged with that weren't my choice. Ever get a ride with someone? Did you run the plate first? If the car is stolen, everyone in the car gets Grand Theft Auto (GTA) regardless of what they knew. I'm not a criminal rights advocate, but I have seen myself and plenty of people put into situations in which they didn't make the decision to commit a crime.

I think that judges sometimes get jaded listening to excuses all day and it's almost impossible to legislate common sense. There should be some sort of judicial board that is also sat by chosen civilians, kind of like a Grand Jury, that looks into it on a case-by-case basis. Obviously someone that has no violence or drug problems and has done his time should be considered for restoration of Rights.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast