Woman upset over no-flag policy at Olive Garden - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woman upset over no-flag policy at Olive Garden

Thanks for the link. I googled it earlier and I still think that any establishment who is against bringing the US flag in their premises should be boycotted. I never like Olive Garden anyway -- I can cook better Italian dishes than their crap anyway...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
    The article I read said that the meeting was actually in a part of the main dining room, and that the restaurant doesn't allow any flags or banners in the main dining room. If that's the case, then I've got no problem with what they did, as long as they're consistent.

Here's a Google search for "Olive Garden flag incident," for more information.
    If this is true the Chamber of Commerce should have been informed of that prior to setting up the meeting.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by fuhr52 View Post
    If this is true the Chamber of Commerce should have been informed of that prior to setting up the meeting.
    It wasn't the Chamber of Commerce. It was a Kiwanis Club. And there was no policy prohibiting flags. Somebody misinterpreted the rules. Please read the links that were posted (posted again below with one additional). The vice president of Darden Restaurants, the parent company of Olive Garden, will be traveling to Oxford Alabama to personally apologize to all the Golden K Kiwanis Club members.

https://www.facebook.com/OliveGarden?sk=wall

Olive Garden apologizes for not allowing U.S. flag | News To Me with George Mathis

Olive Garden apologizes to Kiwanis Club
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Cool Misinterpreted?

While it is true that The Olive Garden parent company, Darden Restaurants, has made an apology and stated that an employee "misinterpreted" the corporate policy, their first response was that NO FLAGS FROM ANYWHERE would have been allowed. The Kiwanis booking was told that they would be in a "Private Dining Room #3" for their meeting.

A lot of "misinterpreting" all around on this...

I don't believe that this '80-year young lady' misunderstood anything in this, and she has good cause to be upset. But, McDonalds? Hardee's would have been a better choice!
    JPKirkpatrick
    USAF-Ret; NRA Life; CRPA Life; USA Carry Mbr;
    Oath Keepers Chrtr Mbr; USCCA Mbr; HGCA Mbr; Ret Former LEO

Yes, misinterpreted

Yes, that first response you speak of was the misinterpretation of the policy. "Some members of our team were misinformed about company policy by our corporate office." -- From the second link. The point is that it was never company policy to ban the flag.

If you're bored, Olive Garden's Facebook page in the first link has an advertisement for Adult singles site on it today. I bet they're happy about that.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams

Okay. I will draw the ire of everyone here with this comment.

It is private property open to the public. They can make and keep what every rules they want as long as those rules fall within the guidelines of the state and federal laws of the land.

I can understand the blanket policy of no flags / banners being permitted in the restaurant. Where does the distinction come in on what flag is permitted and one is denied? A policy that the American flag is permitted and all other flags are not opens the OG to all sorts of civil liabilities. So the best way to prevent being sued by someone is to set a policy that blankets everyone.

Unfortunately when lawyers are involved, common sense goes out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    Okay. I will draw the ire of everyone here with this comment.
    Only because you didn't read the official statement from OG that there isn't a flag ban. :)
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

They do have that right. Their customers also have the right to be pissed off about it and to go somewhere else. And in America there's a pretty fair likelihood of that.

Just a misunderstanding.

Wonder if that applies to a flag or the colors on a shirt or if its only an issue if its on a flag pole.

Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
    Only because you didn't read the official statement from OG that there isn't a flag ban. :)
    Actually I was referring to the "I'll never eat there again" crowd. I did read the official statement but official statements don't stop people from flying off the handle and making the chest pounding statements.

It never ceases to give me a giggle when you read about some incident like this, then see all the reactions that don't include the rights of the "offending party".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast