It's all too convenient! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's all too convenient!

I'm beside myself with excitement! Not. Damn still no icons.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    Drill and refine here. Fill the gap until solar, wind and other sources can be even slightly useful on a large scale with domestic oil and help kiss the terror funding via Saudi oil googbye.

On the flip side, we are using the finite oil (all oil is finite) from the middle east. If and when the time comes the oil fields over there are all dried up, we'll still have ours so we can put our gasoline in the tree hugger's vehicles. Of course, those who protested against big oil and helped stop domestic production (thereby keeping us dependent on foreign oil and also reducing REAL jobs here) will be charged double.
    I agree wholeheartedly that we should be tapping our own resources here. And maybe I'm going of on a tangent here but...

Why does anyone think that the oil companies would want to increase their production capability? Increasing through put, for the oil companies is self defeating.

Even if the government lifted all of the restriction on drilling here on US soil why do you (figurative) think it would mean lower fuel prices or for that matter, a more abundant supply of fuel here?

First off there hasn't been a new refinery built in the US in decades so the through put capability is limited to what exists now. By keeping the refining capability what it is, the dollar per gallon can be manipulate to the oil companies liking.

More than likely, since refining capability here is limited, the additional crude would go onto the world market. Undoubtedly, with an increase of crude from the US, the price of crude elsewhere would drop according to global demand. But with limited refinery capability the price of refined product would not fluctuate too wildly.

"Filling in the gaps" with alternate energy sources is the right idea but the wrong mindset IMHO. More emphasis needs to be put into transitioning to alternate sources rather than 'filling the gap' but I understand the need in either case.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why there aren't more solar farms in places like the deserts of the south west and Florida and wind farms in the coastal regions. The only answer I can come up with is the influence from the current power brokers (oil, coal and gas) and the influential NIMBY crowd IE: Ted Kennedy and the proposed wind farm off his private coastal hideaway.

See! I told you it was a tangent!

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp View Post
    The Iran plot comes at a time when Zero-bama and Holder are under the magnifying glass for their involvement in "Fast and Furious", and the Solyndra debacle. Three people had direct conflicts of interest and influenced Zero-bama to go ahead with the loan of a half billion dollars to a failing company. Fox pointed out that Zero-bama was proposing taxing carbon so heavily as to drive business to solar companies. If they restructured the debt illegally, they should be prosecuted. The White House is just drawing fire away from the issues. The guy they fingered is a used car salesman who's been here for 30 years. Yea, I believe he all of a sudden decided to conspire to screw his comfortable life in the U.S. NOT!
    Would you also find it convenient when and if they also capture and/or killed Muammar Muhammad Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi when Zero-bama's rating will further plummet? Just asking a stupid question. It CAN happen you know....
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly that we should be tapping our own resources here. And maybe I'm going of on a tangent here but...

Why does anyone think that the oil companies would want to increase their production capability? Increasing through put, for the oil companies is self defeating.

Even if the government lifted all of the restriction on drilling here on US soil why do you (figurative) think it would mean lower fuel prices or for that matter, a more abundant supply of fuel here?

First off there hasn't been a new refinery built in the US in decades so the through put capability is limited to what exists now. By keeping the refining capability what it is, the dollar per gallon can be manipulate to the oil companies liking.

More than likely, since refining capability here is limited, the additional crude would go onto the world market. Undoubtedly, with an increase of crude from the US, the price of crude elsewhere would drop according to global demand. But with limited refinery capability the price of refined product would not fluctuate too wildly.

"Filling in the gaps" with alternate energy sources is the right idea but the wrong mindset IMHO. More emphasis needs to be put into transitioning to alternate sources rather than 'filling the gap' but I understand the need in either case.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why there aren't more solar farms in places like the deserts of the south west and Florida and wind farms in the coastal regions. The only answer I can come up with is the influence from the current power brokers (oil, coal and gas) and the influential NIMBY crowd IE: Ted Kennedy and the proposed wind farm off his private coastal hideaway.

See! I told you it was a tangent!
    To add to your tangent, the reason we haven't built new refineries is because the government will not allow them to be built. Why won't they allow new construction? Because special interest control the politics to stop it. Solar and wind are not cost effective for now. In time special interest will motivate the politics to make alternative energy profitable. Of course not many will be able to afford it.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12