Wild Animals killed or Our Right to bear arms violated (What is the real story) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wild Animals killed or Our Right to bear arms violated (What is the real story)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alduane View Post
    From the news reports I saw, he was an FFL and was arrested after a raid where Federal agents seized 133 weapons, including a machine gun and several firearms missing serial numbers. This wasn't your Grandpa's shotgun that wasn't registered.
    Or maybe he worked for Eric Holder?

alduane , saw a report that federal agents seized 133 weapons and a machine gun.

wallyb, saw a report that he was put in jail for owning 4 unregistered fully automatic weapons.

Or was it several firearms missing serial numbers?

The real question is did they shoot the giraffe and camels that the neighbor complained were feeding along the road?
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

3. Knowing personally a few FFL's that manufactured their own weapons, I would venture to say that none of those countless weapons had 'Serial Numbers'. Many were experimental designs, several were not successful or morphed into later designs. The last Sterling .380 I owned was obviously not case hardened in the slide area. After many countless hundreds of rounds, the slide repeatedly became peened by the safety lever and often went 'Full Auto'. I sold it to an FFL business owner that enjoyed that feature. The FFL's in this area many long years ago all possessed fully automatic weaponry of museum quality. One small family home/shop was the scene of repeated 'attempts? At assault and armed robbery. Sir Sidney defended his family... every time.... at the cost of many rounds....including several career criminals lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Blogengeezer:237489
    Have known several (extreme) 'animal lovers' in my life. NM has had many of them in the news. Last headlines, the Las Cruces NM dogs (Pitbulls...what's new) killed an innocent woman walking past the property. No charges were filed until recently. Due to the litigous nature of our 'new' society, doubtful they will stick. The animal lovers are 'special'. Especially the 'extreme' animal lovers. Different strokes for different folks? It's a dangerous world out there. Be Prepared, stay armed no matter what the politicos and their leftist supporters demand.
    Stereotyping...what's new. Do you feel the same way about police as you do American Staffordshire Terriers (Am Staff)/American PitBull Terriers (APBT) ? (The actual breed of most "pitbulls").

Gotta love the conspiracy theories and paranoia...perhaps this was simply a "bad" guy and you don't know the details. Believe it or not @**holes own guns, too.

Sounds like his wife confirms all the bad things about this guy. She was tired of his stuff too.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you hold an FFL don't you have to register every firearm you take in with the ATFE? And if someone makes a home made gun, as a legal FFL you cannot take that gun in without it having a serial number (speaking about the portion of the weapon that needs, by law to be serialized) or registered with the AFTE?

If you Grandfathers hand-me-down 20 gauge has a serial number on it and your state requires it to be registered and you don't register it according to the law of the land you are a felon.

The Holder argument doesn't hold water. Someone doing something against the law does not justify you breaking the law also. As corny as it sounds, 2 wrongs do not make a right.

Neighbors and neighborhoods are what you make them. If you have live stock composting regulations and you follow them, your inside the boundaries of the law. If you stand out front along the road butchering chickens and your neighbor from down the road complains about it, your actions brought on the reaction. You suffer the consequence.

If this guys neighbors were filing complaints against him then I tend to believe his actions were overt. While I recognize the possibility does exist that, if the neighbors lived close enough they may have heard the animals and files nuisance complaints, they had to be pretty severe for the sheriff to respond.

Animal abuse comes in many forms. Country life and normal animal activities aren't well received by non-country folk. You have to recognize that as well as the local law enforcement. I've dealt with Pennsylvania animal enforcement enough times to know that if a 'city slicker' misunderstands the actions of a farmer or rancher, the locals will usually, and most times successfully, educate the 'slicker' that what they witnessed was normal.

Plus, like someone already said, If jack Hanna (sp?) declared the conditions to be deplorable then I would say Thompson was doing something wrong.

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness does not mean you can break the law to get there.

No. I think this guy got to the end of his rope because of his own actions.
    Last edited by walt629; 10-22-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling

As I read more about this, I really have to question the timeline. Who was caring for the animals when Thompson was in prison? How many times had the sheriff's office been out there when he was in prison? Why didn't the person who was caring for the animals while Thompson was gone ask for help? Seems like they deserve as much scorn as Thompson does.

I'm told his wife was taking care of the animals. So why didn't she try and get some help? Thompson had nothing to do with the place for the last year, remember. Don't take the easy shot at the dead guy. His wife was running things for the last year, so she needs to share the blame.
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post

If you Grandfathers hand-me-down 20 gauge has a serial number on it and your state requires it to be registered and you don't register it according to the law of the land you are a felon.

The Holder argument doesn't hold water. Someone doing something against the law does not justify you breaking the law also. As corny as it sounds, 2 wrongs do not make a right.
    Actually walt... the "Law of the Land" is the 2nd Amendment when it comes to firearms...... ANY law that Violates that is not a "valid" law...

Or are you suggesting that ONLY the Government is allowed to break the so-called "law"?
    Have you forgotten the US Supreme Court ruling that ANY "LAW" that goes against the Constitution or BOR is INVALID and that we as citizens have the DUTY to ignore them?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12