Great truths
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Great truths

  1. #1

    Thumbs up Great truths

    This may have been posted before but is still right on the money!




    GREAT TRUTHS

    1. In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

    2. If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -- Mark Twain

    3. Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But then I repeat myself. -- Mark Twain

    4. I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill

    5. A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -- George Bernard Shaw

    6. A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money. -- G. Gordon Liddy

    7. Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. -- James Bovard, Civil Libertarian (1994)

    8. Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries. -- Douglas Casey, Classmate of Bill Clinton at Georgetown University

    9. Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

    10. Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. -- Frederic Bastiat, French economist (1801-1850)

    11. Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. -- Ronald Reagan (1986)

    12. I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. -- Will Rogers

    13. If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

    14. In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other. -- Voltaire (1764)

    15. Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you! -- Pericles (430 B.C.)

    16. No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session. -- Mark Twain (1866)
    17. Talk is cheap...except when Congress does it. -- Anonymous

    18. The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. -- Ronald Reagan

    19. The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery. -- Winston Churchill

    20. The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

    21. The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

    22. There is no distinctly Native American criminal class...save Congress. -- Mark Twain

    23. What this country needs are more unemployed politicians. -- Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

    24. A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson

    25. We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. -- Aesop

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    St. Louis County, MO
    Posts
    3,445
    #13 is so very true. We pay through our teeth in Australia in some other manner for many things that are "free" like health care, e.g., food. If you think we are paying so much for food here, when I am there, I wish I am paying for the same price for food here -- two weeks visit and I am dying to go back home here.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    #13 is so very true. We pay through our teeth in Australia in some other manner for many things that are "free" like health care, e.g., food. If you think we are paying so much for food here, when I am there, I wish I am paying for the same price for food here -- two weeks visit and I am dying to go back home here.
    On a different note, Mom. How do you deal with the Australian gun laws, seeing as how strong a supporter of 2A rights here? I assume you leave your weapon here in the states when you go back under?
    Last edited by walt629; 10-23-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: lack of spelling ability
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    St. Louis County, MO
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    On a different note, Mom. How do you deal with the Australian gun laws, seeing as how strong a supporter of 2A rights here? I assume you leave your weapon here in the states when you go back down under?
    We have to leave our guns here. No guns over there. Not even pepper spray. I've tried for many years, even before 9/11 to buy pepper spray here to take over just for my protection but we are not allowed even that. So over there I have wasp spray and I have to have a large bag to carry to accommodate that wasp spray can. I cannot find a small one. Well, at least I can run to the station where there will always be someone to help. Aussie people are the friendliest, helpful on earth (this is my opinion) but the almost always empty car parks are where the perps are always known to attack. Last time I was home they did something about it by installing cameras and bright lights pretty much like the ones you'd find in football fields. I always think that was safer a bit but identifying an assailant after one is dead is a little bit too late.

    Now can you blame me if I am a strong supporter of 2A here? -- I don't want this country's citizenry to suffer the way we do over there in Oz. Crime has risen dramatically when guns were taken away from us.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    We have to leave our guns here. No guns over there. Not even pepper spray. I've tried for many years, even before 9/11 to buy pepper spray here to take over just for my protection but we are not allowed even that. So over there I have wasp spray and I have to have a large bag to carry to accommodate that wasp spray can. I cannot find a small one. Well, at least I can run to the station where there will always be someone to help. Aussie people are the friendliest, helpful on earth (this is my opinion) but the almost always empty car parks are where the perps are always known to attack. Last time I was home they did something about it by installing cameras and bright lights pretty much like the ones you'd find in football fields. I always think that was safer a bit but identifying an assailant after one is dead is a little bit too late.

    Now can you blame me if I am a strong supporter of 2A here? -- I don't want this country's citizenry to suffer the way we do over there in Oz. Crime has risen dramatically when guns were taken away from us.
    We (wife and I) met a couple from the Perth area on a cruise and have stayed in touch. One of the key topics of discussion instigated by Rob (from Perth) is about our gun laws and our ability as a Nation to "deal with private ownership". I'd like to believe that through continuing conversations I've been able to clearly explain to Rob my stance and the God given rights that our Constitution guarantees us.

    The draconian gun control measures that the citizenry has allowed to pass is incredible! Much like the happenings in England.

    They are a really nice couple and we'd love to go over to visit (the offer has been extended several times) but It has to do with available time and expense. Those tickets are a killer!
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    St. Louis County, MO
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    We (wife and I) met a couple from the Perth area on a cruise and have stayed in touch. One of the key topics of discussion instigated by Rob (from Perth) is about our gun laws and our ability as a Nation to "deal with private ownership". I'd like to believe that through continuing conversations I've been able to clearly explain to Rob my stance and the God given rights that our Constitution guarantees us.

    The draconian gun control measures that the citizenry has allowed to pass is incredible! Much like the happenings in England.

    They are a really nice couple and we'd love to go over to visit (the offer has been extended several times) but It has to do with available time and expense. Those tickets are a killer!
    A long time ago I planned to retire in Western Australia. Perth is a very nice city by the Swan River but I was planning to retire in Geraldton. You do not know what is hot until you go to WA. Texas pales in comparison. During the year, Qantas offers travel discounts. Look for them. I can go home for $280 one way but I have to go on standby. I don't anymore. I pay regular discounted price from Dallas/Fort Worth instead of LA nowadays. I go direct to Melbourne where I still have a house. Contact me if you and your wife need help.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast