The Affirmative Action President - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Affirmative Action President

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Well, gee wiz! Now that the "truth" has been outed (again)..... let's just try to figure out why SAT scores and scores on standard "reedin', rite'in' and rithmatic" are spotty at best and why HS grads can't read and why most colleges have a full battery of "remedial" courses to make up the shortcomings of "free public education".

DUH-UH!

... and DON'T give me that "there's too many students in a class" crap. Us "boomers" averaged class sizes around 45 when I went through. (A class size that would make today's "teachers" faint dead away.) Arguements of "class size" is nothing more than Teacher's Union featherbedding rhetoric.

Although it must be admitted that there was a big difference from when I went through school..... discipline, for one. Adherance to the standards was another. You flunked, you repeated. Simple as that. Three strikes at the same grade and you were put into "dummies" school" until you turned 16 and then were booted out.

The learning needs of the many must NOT be sacrificed or lowered to meet the needs of the few, or the one. There is one area in which the Government, no matter how hard they try to make it so, absolutely cannot make us equal, that's in inherent brain power.

Of course, blaming the teachers for student ignorance is just as absurd. If the student is not interested in learning, it will not happen. Period. It cannot be a "trick", it must be an inherent desire, on the part of the student, to learn that spurs the student on. With the right attitude towards learning, good teacher or bad, rich school or poor, the driven student will find a way. (Been there, done that.)

GG
    The worst thing in school for me was boredom. Caused by classes taught to the lowest level and not to the average or highest. But because I started out in a school run by the military, I learned early how to fill my time. Play chess with the student behind while maintaining an A average in Algebra 2. Graduated in January instead of June because of already meeting the requirements. And like you, many classes were taught in an auditorium due to size. Our school was on 3 shifts per day. First classes started at 0700 while the last classes ended at 1745.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    The worst thing in school for me was boredom. Caused by classes taught to the lowest level and not to the average or highest. But because I started out in a school run by the military, I learned early how to fill my time. Play chess with the student behind while maintaining an A average in Algebra 2. Graduated in January instead of June because of already meeting the requirements. And like you, many classes were taught in an auditorium due to size. Our school was on 3 shifts per day. First classes started at 0700 while the last classes ended at 1745.
    Been there, done that. I was in "honors" classes in Math and History. Why? Because I had an interest in them. The rest of it? Killing time. Averaged solid "B" level grades and NEVER cracked a book out of school.

I used to get little notes from my Guidance Instructors for my parents... "Don is very intelligent, but does not apply himself." Like most kids my age, I had already decided my "path", knew I wasn't going to college right away and cruised through my HS years.

It was later, when my next career was looming before me that I "applied myself". Got an Associates Degree through long years of night school with a 3.95 (of four) GPA. After retiring from "The Corps", went back to college in Ohio where I was awarded an academic scholarship by my second semester, ended up top graduate of the Finance Department in '85, was offered a Graduate Assistantship for my Master's work and ended up the top grad of my MBA class with a dual Master's in '86.

Because I was the sharpest tack in the box? No, because I had learned (in the Corps) how to "apply myself".

If I can do it, anyone can.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    In regard to this nation's security, economic and military strength, anybody who doesn't think this president is worth the lint in his pockets is simply a hate monger.
    Yeah but I'm an equal opportunity hate-monger :-)
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    See poltics suck. Bush did screw up alot ofstuf but Obamascrew everythig up also Simpleb but put blame elsewhare.. The next Presient will screw up also.
    Well...let us hope not.

On the other hand, you know how many ex-POTUS has a library to remember them by? I wonder what this POTUS will put on his? Will he ever have one? Whatever qualifications he will put in his library will fit the size of my powder room downstairs. WOW!
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12