How we got into this mess: the history of the 2nd amendment.

Thread: How we got into this mess: the history of the 2nd amendment.

How we got into this mess: the history of the 2nd amendment.

There are several documented versions of the 2nd amendment as it was debated through Congress. By studing these, we can fully understand what the 2nd amendment truly means.

June 8, 1789
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person.

July 21, 1789
    A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, being the best security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; but no person religiously scrupulous shall be compelled to bear arms.

August 24, 1789
    A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, being the best security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; but no one religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person.

August 25, 1789
    A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, being the best security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed, but no one religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person.

September 4, 1789
    A well regulated militia, being the best security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed

September 9, 1789
    A well regulated militia being the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

September 21, 1789
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As you can see, up until September 4, 1789 they defined that the militia was composed of THE BODY OF THE PEOPLE, meaning every living man, woman, and child WAS and IS the militia.

This fact was so fundemental to the minds of the early framers that they did not feel the need to define it, thus the definition of militia was removed from the amendment as something obvious and unnecessary.

At the same time, they decided to remove the conciencious objector clause so that each right could be voted on and ratified seperately by the states, without tying it to another.

So if some gun hater tells you that the 2nd Amendment only guarantees the RKBA to the "militia", you can respond that they are absolutely correct! Then you can provide them with the founding fathers definition of wat the "militia" truly is.

It would appear that each generation of liberals must redefine the US Constitution to fit their agends at the time. Thus the problem we have to deal with. As time goes on the battle will continue.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Thanx RRobaldo. Although such ideas are self evident they are easily hidden from the couch sitting, Bill of Rights ignorant and yet typical and voting American. Our lefties have been very successful in getting the curriculum in our public schools to be devoid of Constitutional and Bill of Rights supportive teaching. We have a generation now of ignorant, self absorbed heads of mush happy to take in only what the (left leaning) evening news gives them. This up and comming (and voting) group of 20-somethings largely have no concept of "God and Country" or any kind of patriotic anchor. Lenin/Marx would be proud, as are those following them such as Obama and his ilk.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    This up and comming (and voting) group of 20-somethings largely have no concept of "God and Country" or any kind of patriotic anchor. Lenin/Marx would be proud, as are those following them such as Obama and his ilk.
    That's where WE THE PARENTS come in. WE THE PARENTS must teach them proper values and raise them to be TRULY educated instead of relying on just what the spoon feeding public school system teaches them.

For instance, My 22 y.o. has his CWP and carries right along side me, he's a member of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, and though we don't agree 100% on every issue, he does lean slightly to the right....of Atilla the Hun!

And the best news of all....HE'S STUDYING TO BE A HIGH SCHOOL HISTORY TEACHER!!!
    From what he tells me, there are a great many like minded individuals studying to become teachers. And surprisingly, it's primarily the history majors that are in agreement with him.

Go figure, at least one branch of educators are apparently actually LEARNING from History. Who would've ever thought that could happen?

He, and others like him, are our next best hope for this country's future.

I think it just might be possible that over the next decade, we might just see a refreshing backlash of conservatism in our public school system. At least that's what I'm seeing in this part of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by fuhr52 View Post
    It would appear that each generation of liberals must redefine the US Constitution to fit their agends at the time. Thus the problem we have to deal with. As time goes on the battle will continue.
    Exactly my thoughts. That's why I don't feel we'll ever see an uninfringed second amendment.

Some other interesting second amendment facts can be found by reviewing the Dred Scott case. In the mid 1800's the government did not want to provide freed slaves with citizenship as it gave them the right to travel where they wanted while armed. Rather than allow that they wanted to create a second-class-citizenship.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS