Can Snopes counter this? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Snopes counter this?

And so the world turns.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

don't believe everything you read on the internet; it's how WWI started.

Whenever someone brings up the term "Critical thinking" I am always reminded of this quote:

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Aristotle
    Since this quote is over 2,000 years old and has been translated many times I am not truly confident that the word educated is correct but it will suffice for the need. What it boils down to is being able to consider another person's view without having to accept it or agree with them. That ability seems to be fading from the human mind at a very astonishing rate. We are full of little sayings, catchphrases or Bible verses that we use to try and make our points without regard to whether they come close to applying to the discussion or not. It has only been in the last few of my 61 years that I have finally realized why my thought process has seemed to be so much out of sync with the general public. I am not saying that I am right or wrong but I do seem to look at situations much differently than most people and I finally realize that I may not be as wrong or stupid as I once thought I was.

Quote Originally Posted by alduane View Post
    To the "other guys" it's trust and agree For your side it's "look at history and draw the same conclusions I do." It's the old "Us versus Them" scenario. Demonize those that disagree with you so that you don't have to reason with them. You can learn a lot from history but not if you use the "backwards reasoning" of "this is what I believe" so I'll interperet history to fit my belief. Follow the money and you might find many of these theories lead to Rupert Murdoch, big business and the multi national corporations that don't care the least about you or America.
    Personally, I don't trust the Far Left any more than I do the Far Right. They all practice the same hypocrisy. Critical thinking requires an open mind and a willingness to accept what you may not like.
    I am tired from cooking and full inside from eating and light-headed from sharing time with my husband's family today. I would have forgiven you and just move on without saying anything but when you criticize Rupert Murdoch, you are out of line to me. He cares more about you and me and Americans and the Brits and the Australians and others than any other person I have ever come to know and meet personally many times...my only regret was not working for him because I was employed by the other side. Even my boss and his colleagues have high respect for him. Very humble man, very much of a parent to his children and very intelligent to say the least. What you know of him is what you read from the papers or some smut magazines, not facts.

Son, get off your high horse and learn instead of being the pain the backside that you are to us. Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you have a lot to be thankful for -- and leave Rupert Murdoch and his family out of your radar. You do not know him at all. You haven't even met him. I have -- many times more than I can count my fingers and my toes. Goodnight!
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Critical thinking requires an open mind and a willingness to accept what you may not like.
    Critical thinking does not require you to accept anything or idea whether you like it or not. Critical thinking just says that you need to explore the facts before making a decision and them come to your conclusion and be willing to explore those facts. Sometimes the facts serve to bolster your own point of view and sometimes make you question your views. In the end the decision that you reach should be the one that you accept as proper whether it is the one you started with or not. If you do not like the decision you have reached then you need to dig deeper. A very good article/outline on critical thinking is at the link below. I recommend it highly.

What is Critical Thinking

Quote Originally Posted by agrippakc View Post
    On the "internet"? I don't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by agrippakc View Post
    I'm not educated past high school but I'm pretty sure there was no internet in 1914. In fact Al Gore didn't invent the internet until the sixties.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

sure there was...email was sent with dots and dashes, instead of 1's and 0's

Quote Originally Posted by fuhr52 View Post
    I'm not educated past high school but I'm pretty sure there was no internet in 1914. In fact Al Gore didn't invent the internet until the sixties.
    Let's get technical here for a minute. :) The "Internet" actually started in the 60's as a "military" project to share information among research institutions doing work for the US Military. I expanded during the 70's and 80's as a research project for non-commercial use. Back then it was tightly controlled as to its usage and availability. In the early 90's Al Gore did introduce and promote the bill in Congress to allow commercial usage of the "Internet". Up until that time it could not be used for commercial gain. So in a way Al Gore did have a lot to do with the creation of the modern Internet. He did not invent it or create it but he did help push through the legislation that created the modern form of the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    I am tired from cooking and full inside from eating and light-headed from sharing time with my husband's family today. I would have forgiven you and just move on without saying anything but when you criticize Rupert Murdoch, you are out of line to me. He cares more about you and me and Americans and the Brits and the Australians and others than any other person I have ever come to know and meet personally many times...my only regret was not working for him because I was employed by the other side. Even my boss and his colleagues have high respect for him. Very humble man, very much of a parent to his children and very intelligent to say the least. What you know of him is what you read from the papers or some smut magazines, not facts.

Son, get off your high horse and learn instead of being the pain the backside that you are to us. Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you have a lot to be thankful for -- and leave Rupert Murdoch and his family out of your radar. You do not know him at all. You haven't even met him. I have -- many times more than I can count my fingers and my toes. Goodnight!
    My reference was not to Rupert Murdoch personally and didn't even mention his family. Their personal life is none of my business or interest. The problem I have is with his US operations which are nothing but a 24/7 propaganda machine that has contributed to the destruction of reasoned discourse and hatred for opposing views. His British operations had no respect for privacy or the laws concerning them. It’s hard not to view someone on your radar when their actions have such a profound effect on our daily lives. If he truly does care about us, he will take a close look at the end results of the end result of his actions here and in Britain.

Daughter, I don’t have a high horse to get off of and if we didn’t have a few pains in our backsides none of us would ever learn. I sincerely hope that you had as good Thanksgiving as I did and wish you the best for the coming year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast