Anyone running for anything? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone running for anything?

Quote Originally Posted by mom of 3 angels View Post
    Thanks for the post toreskha--I'll second. I'm all for getting involved in government where I can and believe more people should as well. We live in a little town and at our last town caucus we had to call people to show up so we'd have enough people there to fill the county delegate seats we had available to us. Crazy!
    Holy crap...I've seen empty meetings, but vacant seats! I've never run or helped someone in a truly uncontested election before.

I hear people complaining, but I've been to dozens of Soil & Water meetings and I've seen a total of 1 solitary citizen (non-elected, not a dept head) show up. Just one. She owns a contracting company and is POed about the massive paperwork involved in digging ponds. We never get contacted by anyone about anything. We really want citizen input, but when asked, most people just give a blank look and shrug, or say something about, "What difference does it make to me?"

Now I know we're not the state legislature or anything...but we handle stuff like ag management, water runoff and ponds that I hear people complaining about. It seems that people mostly want to complain.

Most larger meetings have regulars that faithfully show up and basically get to steer the direction of the discussions without having any elected position whatsoever, and then there's the people who show up once in their life because their house is getting rezoned or there's an incredibly emotional moral issue and their pastor got 200 people to pack the place all at once.

Otherwise, it's just the crickets! :icon_rolleyes:
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

I ran for local school board many years ago. It was one of those top three vote getters out of 10 and I finished a strong fourth to two dentists and an female Al Sharpton. Politics is not for the faint of heart and although has great benefits you have to have the correct mindset for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I ran for local school board many years ago. It was one of those top three vote getters out of 10 and I finished a strong fourth to two dentists and an female Al Sharpton. Politics is not for the faint of heart and although has great benefits you have to have the correct mindset for it.
    Well, what counts is that you made the effort and contributed to the political process. There's nothing more boring than a completely uncontested election.

I'm thinking about running for state legislature.Either house or senate.I might contact my local GOP sometime soon and get some info about it.I am not perfect,but I think I have sound conservative moral values,and I might have something to offer my state.Or at least my county.Texas has some good laws on the books,but,like alot of other states,has some stupid ones,too.After that,who knows.Go back home to my gun business...or maybe U.S. congress?
    Any finger point in the direction of some info would be appreciated.
    ;)
    Give everybody guns.
    Natural selection will cull out the idiots.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
    I'm thinking about running for state legislature.Either house or senate.I might contact my local GOP sometime soon and get some info about it.I am not perfect,but I think I have sound conservative moral values,and I might have something to offer my state.Or at least my county.Texas has some good laws on the books,but,like a lot of other states,has some stupid ones,too.After that,who knows.Go back home to my gun business...or maybe U.S. congress?
    ;)

Best of luck. If you do get elected introduce a bill to do away with some of the Gun Free Zones in the state. i.e. hospitals for one.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
    I'm thinking about running for state legislature.Either house or senate.I might contact my local GOP sometime soon and get some info about it.I am not perfect,but I think I have sound conservative moral values,and I might have something to offer my state.Or at least my county.Texas has some good laws on the books,but,like alot of other states,has some stupid ones,too.After that,who knows.Go back home to my gun business...or maybe U.S. congress?
    ;)
    Start small (county or municipal level) if you really want to make a dent. If you live in a heavily conservative area, most of your competitors will probably be Republicans. So, before you go directly to the GOP, look up your area's supervisor of elections site and look at who's running (see if you recognize anyone) and look at some of the past races. Parties tend to be really cliquey and if you just walk in off the street, you'll get a lot of "Uhhh...and you are?" type of comments.

Most areas have Republican "clubs" and "caucuses" and whatnot. These can be interesting or a waste of time, depending on the people there, your tastes, etc. You can definitely win elections without being very involved with these, but it doesn't hurt to show up either. Some people get really involved and are able to raise a good solid base of supporters from those groups, so it may be to your advantage.

Some major pointers to remember:
    1. Always do your homework and move with a strategy. Find out who knows who, and who does what.

2. Don't get discouraged by corruption; there's plenty of it, but it's not as bad as you think. Just keep chugging along. Don't give up!

3. Last but not least - watch what you say. Most political events, fundraisers and whatnot are just meetings of insiders. The guy sitting next to you might seem friendly, but he could be the Campaign Treasurer of the candidate who you're denouncing in conversation. That won't do you any favors later on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12