Concealed Carry Myths - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concealed Carry Myths

Well, Ron, that's where we disagree, but that's what makes horse races. What you describe as "limitations" is actually common courtesy and common sense. Respect for each other's absolute Rights is what allows us all to enjoy them. I would draw your attention to a great letter, written as a reply to a Law Enforcement Officer who makes arguments similar to yours. You can find it HERE. I speaks for me better than I could for myself, but it's what I, and many others, truly believe.

Talk to you again soon...
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

3. What part of self government do we not understand. The lady should have gotten training herself.(commom sense) We can learn to drive but must get behind the wheel. She may learn when it is used againest her.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    OK, while we're at it, why don't we also require training and permits to exercise free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, and right to peaceably assemble.
    While not required, education (whether at school, at home or at church) goes a long way towards training people to exercise those rights. Although it may be shoddy in many cases, K-10 education is compulsory in most areas, which demonstrates a recognition that people aren't just born knowing how to reasonably express opinions and participate in a democracy.

The type of mandatory peacetime draft that existed before 1973 could be considered required weapons training, though. Since we have not had that for 35 years now, the general population has become far less competent than they previously were with firearms. It is no longer simply a foregone conclusion that the average person can safely handle a normal firearm without causing a catastrophe.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Nice article. Really makes you think. What is the answer? Appeal every gun law on the books in the United States? Would that make crime rates drop? or not? Honestly, I don't know the answer to having some gun laws or none. Some laws makes sense but which ones? Some see certain laws as infringements while others don't.

The article that Ektarr pointed out made me think as the framers of the Bill of Rights were thinking at the time they wrote them. They had just overthrown a powerful brutal government to establish their own and wanted the people to be able to do it again , if the need arise. Today the people aren't viewing the 2A that way and unfortunately it's left up to our GOVERNMENT to decide what the framers really meant.
    New York State Consolidated Laws, Civil Rights, Article 2-Bill of Rights, Section 4

S 4. Right to keep and bear arms. A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms cannot be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ektarr View Post
    Well, Ron, that's where we disagree, but that's what makes horse races. What you describe as "limitations" is actually common courtesy and common sense. Respect for each other's absolute Rights is what allows us all to enjoy them. I would draw your attention to a great letter, written as a reply to a Law Enforcement Officer who makes arguments similar to yours. You can find it HERE. I speaks for me better than I could for myself, but it's what I, and many others, truly believe.

Talk to you again soon...
    Ektarr, I couldn't agree with you more. The problem starts with those, and there are many, who disregard others rights and, or abuses their own rights. This, unfortunately, is where the law must step in. A perfect world would not require this, but then a perfect world would not require CCW for personal protection either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ektarr View Post
    ... I would draw your attention to a great letter...
    It certainly was a great letter. Thank you for providing that link.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Ok,here'ss what I think.What harm can you do with a gun?You can kill somebody.You can robb somebody.You can rape somebody.You can injure somebody.You can damage property.That being said,there are already laws against murder,robbery,rape,assault,and damage to property,whether willful or negligent.Now,should people get training in the use of firearms?Sure.People should also get better training in how to drive a car(and I REALLY MEAN THAT).Should people be required to get training before they use a firearm?Not by the government.That should go without saying.I grew up around firearms,and I grew up around common sense.Some people didn't.Common sense dictates that if you aquire a potentially dangerous piece of equipment (whether it be a gun,a sledge hammer,a backhoe,or a chainsaw)you should get some training and get familiar with it before you use it.If you don't,and you hurt somebody then you are responsible through willfulness or negligence.So,I don't think there should be a federal or state law that requires training.Think about it.Who gets to say how much and what kind of training is required?
    Give everybody guns.
    Natural selection will cull out the idiots.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123