Concealed Carry Myths
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Myths

Concealed Carry Myths

Decent article on concealed carry myths and why CCW is actually a good thing.

The Edge

Nice article. Any chance we can send it to the Supreme Court before they vote:amuse:? Thanks for posting.
    Conflict is inevitable, combat is a choice!

Good article. I sent it to those on my e-mail list and made a copy. Thanks for posting.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

thanks for the post. good read... can't argue with fact, unless you have less than half a brain and unfortunately those people are everywhere.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Good read. Glad I took the time. :bier:, to freedom!
    Legalize Freedom!

building an AR on my blog

Thumbs up Analogies that maybe make a CC point.

U get in a car not being trained to ever drive one, you will wreck pretty soon. You let a law-abiding citizen buy something as lethal as a gun with an untrained 'driver' behind the trigger and U have pretty much the same disaster waiting to happen even on a very safe controlled firing range if they point it @ a M8 'just for fun'. The 1st part of military BRM is taught in a classroom not on a range. You don't get to even fire it if you don't know how to clear it, maintain it or use it properly. Doesn't take long to learn how to drive a car, nor fire any pistol, takes years to do both very well. Now add the concealed part to the mix, and you have many more laws and variables to figure out than ever come with driving a Honda Civic, but maybe with an 18-wheeler hauling gasoline. IMHO a person with little to no training on how & when to use a gun & when not to is critical, or that jerk who upsets the untrained CC novice is now looking @ a drawn pistol & maybe someone behind the trigger who will use that to make a point of misusing that pistol and land themselves in jail, sending a jerk to the hospital or the morgue. When the cuffs come off the CC novice goes into a pre-trial hearing as to why they 'feared enough for their lives' that they used the very last resort/tool of self-defense as their 1st not last option. "But he provoked me!" better be he provoked you with MUCH more than words, gestures or threats! Maybe he fired a gun at you, or rushed @ you with a knife is now a more acceptable reason as to why the other person is now on a slab in a freezer with a tag tied to his toe & U are now looking at a world of legal trouble, or U did everything by the book and U may just walk free. If U screwed it up, maybe years in jail or paying for some jerk's wheel-chair, medical bills, etc., for the rest of his life. Most of that would never happen with a good state/federal train-up prior to being granted the awesome responsibility of walking around non gun-toting folks with a concealed weapon, which in untrained/immature hands is nothing more than a permit to legally carry your shooter hidden, without the extensive training required to know when and how taking it out of hiding is even lawful, smart, or (most times) dead wrong. Any branch of our military, any cops or any persons issued a weapon to protect themselves performing duties from security to filling ATM's or driving armored cars spend a LOT of time learning what constitutes a threat worthy of a ballistic response and which can be handled in many less lethal ways, or by back-up who do that for a living, cops/SWAT. So hell yes I do support that statement: "I favor required training for everyone before they can obtain a CCW license." To do anything else is to hand out drivers licenses to all teens @ 18 because they are now 'adults' and 'by God' should be able to drive whether they ever learnt to drive a car or not! A ton of steel going at 55mph with an untrained driver @ the wheel is a very dangerous weapon to others and the untrained driver behind the wheel who maybe thinks a red light means speed up and show the other loser driver what their V6 can do to some rusty old 4-banger. I wonder how many USA patrons I upset today by stating that who wish their computers could send a HP into my brain? If that's you, then maybe think about leaving that pistol at home and take up a good martial art. IMHO a CC permit is around a brown or black belt in total familiarity with the weapon and the CC laws that allow you the privilege of carrying or using that pistol where most other's can not. Earning a black belt in Karate takes years of training and discipline making the 1st-dan a lethal weapon who wouldn't be at the dojo if he or she just went around crushing windpipes for petty nothing rumbles or proving what a bad-ass he was in bars. The 4th-dan who trained me told every student the best Karate move he ever knew was to disengage from a fight you know you'd win, and only use your skills when everything else has failed. Training any martial artist white belt in only blows that kill (2 months of training tops) is very similar to giving some hot-head a token black-belt in martial arts that normally takes years to master, or as weapons go a CC permit to kill just as fast without ever learning hundreds of precise moves perfectly (CC Laws), repeating 20-30 katas on every trip to a dojo (range-time, CQC courses and advanced CCW courses) or supervised kumite for that next dan. Then as a good driver one day you get a CDL to haul toxic chemicals thru a populated area, or a 3rd-dan into full contact kumite trying for a title belt, or in weapons, the day you land a job as a well-paid fugitive retrieval pro, or a body-guard for a VIP on a risky trip to some country where 15 y/o's are shooting at the person U get paid to protect, & U for preventing them from pulling it off. Just analogies!

Canis-Lupus
    Last edited by Canis-Lupus; 05-22-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Very well written, except where he says that it is common sense to require training before people can exercise 2A. OK, while we're at it, why don't we also require training and permits to exercise free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, and right to peaceably assemble. Also, while we're at it, why don't we also require states to obtain a license before they can exercise all the powers not denied to them by the constitution (tenth amendment, a.k.a., state's rights amendments). As soon as he shows me where the constitution mandates a training requirement, I'll go over to his side. Until then, he's full of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Very well written, except where he says that it is common sense to require training before people can exercise 2A. OK, while we're at it, why don't we also require training and permits to exercise free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, and right to peaceably assemble. Also, while we're at it, why don't we also require states to obtain a license before they can exercise all the powers not denied to them by the constitution (tenth amendment, a.k.a., state's rights amendments). As soon as he shows me where the constitution mandates a training requirement, I'll go over to his side. Until then, he's full of it.
    Sometimes I think some need training on how to use free speech, and some "press" members definitely need training on how to give unbiased news. Just kidding, however, we all must remember that no right is unlimited. With each right comes an equally great responsibility to use it properly.

I agree with the author's training requirement based on this limitation. I really don't care what you do in your home or on your property with guns. I think anyone should be able to have agun in their home and that 2A covers this completely without any kind of registration, or other restrictions. However once you walk out on the street in the public interacting with others then a different set of rules apply. Your rights end where mine begin and vice-versa. One's rights do not override those of another.

You cannot go up and down the street shouting through a PA system at 2 am waking everyone up no matter what 1A says. You cannot peacebly assemble where my group has already assembled and the press cannot print or report lies. there are restrictions when it comes to the rights of others. 2A does not override the rights of others and once you step out of your house you then give up some of your 2A rights like it or not.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I agree with the author's training requirement based on this limitation. I really don't care what you do in your home or on your property with guns. I think anyone should be able to have agun in their home and that 2A covers this completely without any kind of registration, or other restrictions. However once you walk out on the street in the public interacting with others then a different set of rules apply. Your rights end where mine begin and vice-versa. One's rights do not override those of another.

You cannot go up and down the street shouting through a PA system at 2 am waking everyone up no matter what 1A says. You cannot peacebly assemble where my group has already assembled and the press cannot print or report lies. there are restrictions when it comes to the rights of others. 2A does not override the rights of others and once you step out of your house you then give up some of your 2A rights like it or not.

and the press cannot print or report lies.

Someone needs to tell the press that because they haven't received the message.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast