Gun dealer takes on New York City in court

Thread: Gun dealer takes on New York City in court

Smile Gun dealer takes on New York City in court

Let us pray for victory for the good guy against this Nazi storm trooper.

Gun dealer takes on New York City in court
    Tue May 27, 2008 4:22pm EDT Email | Print | Share| Reprints | Single Page| Recommend (0) [-] Text [+]
    1 of 2Full Size

powered by Sphere
    Featured Broker sponsored link
    #1 FX Broker - Shares Mag 2007 By Edith Honan

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's crusade against illegal guns entered the courtroom on Tuesday in a battle against a Georgia gun dealer.

It is the first of two civil cases New York has brought against 27 gun dealers in five states -- Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia -- on the grounds that their sales practices allowed criminals to buy guns and then bring them into the city.

All but one dealer in the first lawsuit -- Jay Wallace -- has settled out of court. Wallace, 51, owner of a sporting goods store in the Atlanta, Georgia, suburb of Smyrna, vowed to fight on, likening his battle to David versus Goliath.

"I believe that I care more about firearms getting into criminals' hands than the mayor of New York City does," Wallace was quoted by local media has having said at Brooklyn federal court. "I'm in the business. I know how my business is run."

Jury selection for the trial began on Tuesday.

City lawyers said Bloomberg had planned to testify about the toll illegal guns have taken on the city, but last week U.S. District Judge Jack Weinstein rejected that idea, saying Bloomberg's testimony would do nothing to advance the city's case and could instead create a "media circus."

The city has accused dealers like Wallace of allowing "straw purchases," a transaction where one person shops for a gun and then has someone else fill out the required federal forms to pass a background check.

The guns are then sold on New York City streets for twice or three times their original price, police say.

The city caught some dealers by hiring undercover private detectives with hidden cameras to carry out straw purchases.

The second trial is expected to begin in July.

Nationally, the black market is the source for guns used in more than 90 percent of gun crimes. Since Bloomberg became mayor in 2002, every gun homicide in the city has been committed with an illegal gun, police say.

More than 300 people were killed in New York City by illegal guns last year, with nearly all of the guns coming from out of state, said Bloomberg, who has made the campaign against illegal guns a centerpiece of his second term in office.

"Where is the outrage in this country? Well, mayors see it," Bloomberg has said. "We're the ones who have to go to the funerals. We're the ones that have to look somebody in the eye and say your spouse or your parent or your child is not going to come home."

In 2006, Bloomberg co-founded Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a group that has grown to some 321 mayors.

(Editing by Michelle Nichols and Vicki Allen)
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's crusade against illegal guns entered the courtroom on Tuesday in a battle against a Georgia gun dealer.
    Notice it says 'crusade against illegal guns.' It's not just illegal guns, this crazy bastard wants. It's ALL guns. Funny how they twisted it like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Notice it says 'crusade against illegal guns.' It's not just illegal guns, this crazy bastard wants. It's ALL guns. Funny how they twisted it like that.
    Cooter I think the real problem with Bloomberg and his ilk is he believes that all guns are illegal guns if in the hands of the citizenry. He is of the same stripe as Hitler, Stalin and all dictators through out history. To control the masses you have to first disarm the masses.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

good for the dealer to stand up for his rights. I hope he gets the support he needs. I'm curious how this will turn out.
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 05-28-2008 at 11:42 AM.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

6. The city caught some dealers by hiring undercover private detectives with hidden cameras to carry out straw purchases. I may be mistaken but it seems to me that Bloomberg is the one breaking the law here not the gun dealer. Shouldn’t the states he committed this in be prosecuting him. Did he not break some kind of Federal law here. :ranting2:
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberRB View Post
    The city caught some dealers by hiring undercover private detectives with hidden cameras to carry out straw purchases. I may be mistaken but it seems to me that Bloomberg is the one breaking the law here not the gun dealer. Shouldn’t the states he committed this in be prosecuting him. Did he not break some kind of Federal law here. :ranting2:
    So what--he broke the law--that's ok though. He's on the side of those who want to constantly erode and limit freedom. Those who would oppose that find they are opposed by deep pockets (billionairre Bloomberg and New York City).

Justice in these United States is determined by how much justice you can buy. Any gun dealer is going to find that fighting this, while the right thing to do, may just be expensive enough to make it impossible. Then those who want to limit our rights can claim 'justice' prevailed...:Poep2:
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

8. NDS you are so right but no matter how big a fish you think you are there is always a bigger one. Someday Bloomberg will step on a bigger fish. I just hope I am around to see it.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberRB View Post
    NDS you are so right but no matter how big a fish you think you are there is always a bigger one. Someday Bloomberg will step on a bigger fish. I just hope I am around to see it.
    Elliot Spitzer did. Improves the chances.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!
    EDC Primary: M&P45fs, Crimson Trace LaserGrips, Insight XTI Procyon light in SmartCarry holster
    >>> http://MP-Pistol.com/
    EDC BUF: LCP, Crimson Trace LaserGuard in DeSantis Super Fly holster
    >>> http://LCPforum.com/

It is about time someone stood up to Bloomberg and his gang of goons. More gun owners should do this, but sadly do not, at times not even the NRA.