Fred Thompson Wows 'Em At the NRA Convention
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fred Thompson Wows 'Em At the NRA Convention

Going in, Rudy Giuliani was going to have a tall order to get a warm welcome from the NRA. Fred Thompson just made that harder by going up on the stage and giving a just about flawless performance. He repeats the line about Americans sacrificing more blood for other countries' freedom than for any other country; I can't help but wonder if it's a jab at the Washington Post for critiquing it and arguing the Soviet Union might rival that claim.

He got a standing ovation at his finish, and then he did a brief Q & A.
    "Some believe that the Second Amendment has different meanings in different places, and that the gun rights of citizens in, say, New York City and Chicago can restricted more than the gun rights of those in Tennessee and Montana. Do you agree?"

Thompson responds with a deep, rumbling, slow, "Noooope." Then he follows with absolute catnip for gun owners: "It's never seemed to me to be coincidental that the places that have the highest crime rates tend to be the places that have the most restrictions on gun ownership in America."

Asked about gun shows, he calls the "part of Americana... There's always been an effort on the other side to go after something high profile or particularly vulnerable, an easy target, but I've always resisted that."
    Will he appoint an Attorney General who shares his opinion of the Second Amendment. "Yes." More applause. "I think we're winning on the interpretation of the Second Amendment. I have a complicated position on this: The Constitution means what it says." He gets another standing ovation.

From my regular appearances on NRANews.com, I think I have a pretty good idea of what gun owners want to hear from a presidential candidate; Fred Thompson gave 'em pretty much their ideal.

I would also note that perhaps Thompson ate his Wheaties this morning, because he didn't seem tired or sleepy at all.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Giuliani Bobs and Weaves on Gun Control Record

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298200,00.html

FOX News Election Coverage

FOXNEWS.COM HOME Giuliani Bobs and Weaves on Gun Control Record
    Friday, September 28, 2007
    By John R. Lott Jr.

Rudy Giuliani had a monumental task last Friday. Going before the NRA, Giuliani wanted to alleviate gun owners' fears that he would take away their ability to use guns to defend themselves.

Some media suggested an even more lofty goal: "it is possible that the NRA would endorse Giuliani."

Surely Giuliani said many comforting things. He talked about the Second Amendment protecting individual rights. And he now disavows the lawsuits against the gun makers-- something that he himself initiated, but that he says went off course and went in directions with which he disagreed.
    For good measure, Giuliani also invoked his time in the Reagan Justice Department a quarter of a century ago and Reagan’s defense of gun rights as evidence of his own support.

For many, the bottom line is, as the New York Times claimed, "that he opposes new restrictions on gun ownership."

The Boston Globe interpreted Giuliani as pledging "he would punish gun-toting criminals harshly while leaving law-abiding gun owners alone."
    But this is the same Giuliani who six years ago supported Federal gun licensing and seven years ago said that 86 to 88 percent of the guns sold in the United States should not be sold because gun makers "would have to know that they are supplying an illegal market."

This is the same person who sued gun makers so that the city could recoup its costs of dealing with crime, that openly broke with the Reagan administration during congressional testimony on a gun control bill.
    Some of those present at the NRA meeting were moved by Giuliani’s comments. Giuliani apparently had at least neutralized their concerns. Yet, a careful reading of Giuliani’s speech finds it filled with caveats.
    Take his answer to a question about gun control:

"My position is the law should be left the way it is now. Given the level of crime in this country, I think the emphasis and the energy should be spent on enforcing the laws that presently exist, and if changes in the law are necessary later, that'll respond to other social conditions.

"I think the single most important thing that the next president has to do is to organize an effort in the Department of Justice and with state and local law enforcement to work in a cooperative way to enforce the laws that presently exist. After we do that, and we see the impact of that, then we can take a look at whether new laws are necessary; they may or may not be. "

"Given the level of crime in this country?" Would his position change if crime increased? It would certainly seem so. Surely Giuliani has frequently claimed that gun control reduces crime. Indeed, he has claimed that most of the reduction in New York City’s crime rate during the 1990s was due to gun control: "the single biggest connection between violent crime and an increase in violent crime is the presence of guns in your society...the more guns you take out of society, the more you are going to reduce murder. The less guns you take out of society, the more it is going to go up."
    Giuliani is justifiably proud of New York City’s dramatic reductions in violent crime during the 1990s, but his claim that "the single biggest" factor was taking guns off the street is weak, to say the least. There is no academic research by economists or criminologists that indicates that gun control mattered at all.

There are other more obvious explanations, especially the massive increase in full- time sworn police officers. The number grew from 26,844 in 1990 to 39,779 by 2000, roughly five times faster than in other big cities. New York City also improved its police department by raising hiring standards and increasing officer pay, What about Giuliani’s statement, "After we do that . . . we can take a look at whether new laws?" The only restriction that this implies is that the Federal and state governments must first do what they can to reduce crime. After that, all restrictions are off.

Giuliani’s statement on lawsuits against gun makers is no more comforting. He now disavows the lawsuits because of "twists and turns I disagree with." But there is absolutely no mention about what these changes were. His own statements, when originally announcing New York City’s lawsuit, contained a laundry list of complaints. Indeed, his claims seemed the same as those in other city lawsuits.

Possibly, Giuliani’s opinions on the Second Amendment were really affected by Judge Laurence Silberman’s recent court decision striking down Washington D.C.’s gun ban. Silberman did make a persuasive case that the Second Amendment does guarantee an individual right. But Giuliani has frequently pointed out that constitutionally protected rights still allow “reasonable” regulations to accomplish some other goal, such as public safety.
    Despite the assurances of the press, Giuliani clearly did not say that he would oppose new gun laws. Compared to what conservatives call the "just about flawless performance" by Fred Thompson, Giuliani’s presentation just didn’t cut it.

With the nation at war, Republicans possibly have more important things to care about than gun control. But Giuliani’s image as a straight shooter risks being damaged by all the bobbing and weaving that he is doing over gun control.

John Lott is the author of the book "Freedomnomics," and is a Senior Research Scientist at the University of Maryland.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. It figures.
    What the gentleman, "I use the term gentleman loosely" from NY did not say is what really bothers me.

We have many laws now concerning gun control that need to disappear.

This man is dangerous to gun owners across the land.

I have the feeling that Fred will be trustworthy on 2nd Amend rights.

Bloomberg and Rudy cut from the same mold - anti-gun
    Nuke'em til they glow then shoot them in the dark!

I am truly pleased with what Thompson said. He seems like the best candidate for the job. However, I trust the words of no politician. I guess we just have to choose the best (not perfect) candidate
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidM View Post
    I am truly pleased with what Thompson said. He seems like the best candidate for the job. However, I trust the words of no politician. I guess we just have to choose the best (not perfect) candidate
    Funny, Thompson always says- "...I am not perfect but, I am consistant. You know what you can expect of me."
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thumbs up President Clinton-Speaker Gingrich Say Governor Huckabee the Dark-Horse to win...

Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and Former President Bill Clinton say Mike Huckabee is the most likely GOP Dark-Horse Candidate to win the nomination...

there is hope for America and the 2nd Amendment!

Little Rock, AR – Former AR Governor and Presidential Candidate Mike
    Huckabee received praise from politics' 'odd couple' – former
    President Bill Clinton and former Speaker Newt Gingrich –who said
    Sunday, in separate interviews, that he is the most likely "dark horse
    candidate" to win the GOP nomination... (On ABC News)

http://www.mikehuckabee.com/index.cf...Release&ID=285

Don't forget to get registered to vote before its too late; the
    primaries are way early this year...

January 19th, 2008 here in Nevada...

Semper fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and Former President Bill Clinton say Mike Huckabee is the most likely GOP Dark-Horse Candidate to win the nomination...

there is hope for America and the 2nd Amendment!

Little Rock, AR – Former AR Governor and Presidential Candidate Mike
    Huckabee received praise from politics' 'odd couple' – former
    President Bill Clinton and former Speaker Newt Gingrich –who said
    Sunday, in separate interviews, that he is the most likely "dark horse
    candidate" to win the GOP nomination... (On ABC News)

http://www.mikehuckabee.com/index.cf...Release&ID=285

Don't forget to get registered to vote before its too late; the
    primaries are way early this year...

January 19th, 2008 here in Nevada...

Semper fidelis

After taking those position survey's today. I have found that I am further away from Huckabee than ever as he is not quite as conservative as I thought. It appears via the surveys that I am closer on the issues to Fred Thompsan (as I thought) and Duncan Hunter.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wink

Former President Bill Clinton say Mike Huckabee is the most likely GOP Dark-Horse Candidate to win the nomination...

Semper fidelis

Dude of course Clinton would endorse Huckabee because he knows that Hillary can beat him (it is the same thing I have been preaching in earlier posts... I am going for the win as first a Republican that can defeat RINO Rudy and then Hillary... I simply do not believe Huckabee can defeat either of those two).
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thumbs up Huckabee for the 2nd Amendment

It is ludicrous to think that former President Clinton and former speaker Newt Gingrich would both say that Mike Huckabee has the best chance of beating Hillary in the general election because Bill Clinton knew/knows that Hillary could beat Huckabee in the general election...

The facts are there are few politicians in modern history that know more about winning an election as a dark-horse candidate then Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich...

Polls show both Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul closing on Rudy and Mitt...
    McCain is all but out...

Huckabee and Paul are the only true 2nd Amendment supporters whom have a perfect pro-gun record...

Fred Thompson has a substantial record of selling us out on the 2nd amendment and voting anti-gun...
    Fred Thomson SOLD US OUT ON THE 2ND AMENDMENT, look at his record!

Personally I put Fred Thompson in front of Rudy, Mitt, John on most issues; but behind Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul when it comes to unwavering (100%) support for the constitution and pro-gun positions...

I also like Huckabees fair tax and other positions...

In the primaries NO CANDIDATE THAT HAS EVER VOTED FOR ANY FORM OF GUN CONTROL WILL GET MY VOTE...

That is the deal breaker for me...

The primaries should be our focus; the same population majority conservatives that voted John Kerry and John Edwards off the the map in 2004 by a landslide will get behind the republican that wins the primary...
    And like Hanoi John Kerry; Hillary will go back to being a minor nuisance...

In my opinion, if you value the constitution, the second amendment and your gun rights you can not in good conscience vote for a candidate in the primaries that has ever voted anti-gun...

In the general election I will vote for the republican running against Hillary...
    Because any of them are better then her on any given issue...

best regards.

Unhappy

Fred Thompson has a substantial record of selling us out on the 2nd amendment and voting anti-gun...
    Fred Thomson SOLD US OUT ON THE 2ND AMENDMENT, look at his record!
    Dude... Bro...My Friend, Senator Thompson has voted his conscious 20 of 33 times in our favor as a advocate of our 2A rights.

That do not spell or say anything as harsh as those two words "sell-out" to me at all.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast