The Church And Gun Control
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Church And Gun Control

The Church And Gun Control

Many states ban carrying guns in church. With this many religious organizations coming out against firearms, there should be no doubt why.

Matter of Faith The church and gun control

I don't mean to condemn anyone's denomination but I will have to say that many if not all of those mentioned in the article have become very liberal over the years. You can see it not just on the issue of guns but many other issues. The organization National Council of Churches is so liberal I would have a hard time even calling it Christian. I happen to be Southern Baptist and all though we are not perfect most,not all, Southern Baptist Churches tend to be more conservative. Here in the city I live in is perhaps the largest Southern Baptist Seminaries in the world. Its president is an avid hunter and has hunted game all over the world including big game on the continent of Africa. Texas churches are one of the places that are off limits to carry but they have to have a sign posted at all the doors before it is binding. My church does not and there are quite a number of members that carry. My daughter and son-in-law now go to Wedgewood Baptist church here. Some of you may recall in the late 90's a sicko walked into this church and gunned down a number of worshipers. I would dare say they have members that are carrying there now. I doubt you could find very many churches of any denomination that have signs posted here. I know of none personally.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I don't mean to condemn anyone's denomination but I will have to say that many if not all of those mentioned in the article have become very liberal over the years. You can see it not just on the issue of guns but many other issues. The organization National Council of Churches is so liberal I would have a hard time even calling it Christian. I happen to be Southern Baptist and all though we are not perfect most,not all, Southern Baptist Churches tend to be more conservative. Here in the city I live in is perhaps the largest Southern Baptist Seminaries in the world. Its president is an avid hunter and has hunted game all over the world including big game on the continent of Africa. Texas churches are one of the places that are off limits to carry but they have to have a sign posted at all the doors before it is binding. My church does not and there are quite a number of members that carry. My daughter and son-in-law now go to Wedgewood Baptist church here. Some of you may recall in the late 90's a sicko walked into this church and gunned down a number of worshipers. I would dare say they have members that are carrying there now. I doubt you could find very many churches of any denomination that have signs posted here. I know of none personally.
    HK4U, while I tend to agree many religions have leaned toward more liberal views, even the Southern Baptists are listed in the expanded link given below. When you see the largest religious groups in America (Catholic, Mormon, Episcopal, Lutheran, etc.) making statements against handguns, it tends to be a problem for the 2A stance. Hopefully the SCOTUS will keep the "Separation of church and state" edict and find the Second Amendment protects an inalienable individual right.

ReligionLink - Guns and God: faith groups and the politics of gun control

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    HK4U, while I tend to agree many religions have leaned toward more liberal views, even the Southern Baptists are listed in the expanded link given below. When you see the largest religious groups in America (Catholic, Mormon, Episcopal, Lutheran, etc.) making statements against handguns, it tends to be a problem for the 2A stance. Hopefully the SCOTUS will keep the "Separation of church and state" edict and find the Second Amendment protects an inalienable individual right.

ReligionLink - Guns and God: faith groups and the politics of gun control

Although there are some I am sure even in the Southern Baptist ranks that are in favor of more gun control I think the following quote on the line is more in line with a majority of it's members. I do hope though we get a favorable ruling from the courts.

In 2002, Richard Land, the chief public policy spokesman for the Southern Baptist Convention, decried what he called ďa long-term assault on your Second Amendment rights to keep and bear arms.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

When they come for my Bible they can have it with my guns!

If anyone with better Google skills than me wouldn't mind, could you please post the Biblical basis for why we should carry, rather than being an unarmed sheep?
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Exclamation Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    If anyone with better Google skills than me wouldn't mind, could you please post the Biblical basis for why we should carry, rather than being an unarmed sheep?
    Then said he to them, But now, he that has a purse, let him take it, and likewise his money: and he that has no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

American King James Version
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

In the old testament the Hebrew children were finally spiritually ready to start rebuilding after all the years in exile. They were working on the wall but their enemies were harassing them, trying to stop their progress so.....

7But it came to pass, that when Sanballat, and Tobiah, and the Arabians, and the Ammonites, and the Ashdodites, heard that the walls of Jerusalem were made up, and that the breaches began to be stopped, then they were very wroth,

8And conspired all of them together to come and to fight against Jerusalem, and to hinder it.

9Nevertheless we made our prayer unto our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them.

10And Judah said, The strength of the bearers of burdens is decayed, and there is much rubbish; so that we are not able to build the wall.

11And our adversaries said, They shall not know, neither see, till we come in the midst among them, and slay them, and cause the work to cease.

12And it came to pass, that when the Jews which dwelt by them came, they said unto us ten times, From all places whence ye shall return unto us they will be upon you.

13Therefore set I in the lower places behind the wall, and on the higher places, I even set the people after their families with their swords, their spears, and their bows.

14And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses.

15And it came to pass, when our enemies heard that it was known unto us, and God had brought their counsel to nought, that we returned all of us to the wall, every one unto his work.

16And it came to pass from that time forth, that the half of my servants wrought in the work, and the other half of them held both the spears, the shields, and the bows, and the habergeons; and the rulers were behind all the house of Judah.

17They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon.

18For the builders, every one had his sword girded by his side, and so builded. And he that sounded the trumpet was by me. Nehemiah 4:7-18

Thumbs up Well Done!

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    In the old testament the Hebrew children were finally spiritually ready to start rebuilding after all the years in exile. They were working on the wall but their enemies were harassing them, trying to stop their progress so.....

7But it came to pass, that when Sanballat, and Tobiah, and the Arabians, and the Ammonites, and the Ashdodites, heard that the walls of Jerusalem were made up, and that the breaches began to be stopped, then they were very wroth,

8And conspired all of them together to come and to fight against Jerusalem, and to hinder it.

9Nevertheless we made our prayer unto our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them.

10And Judah said, The strength of the bearers of burdens is decayed, and there is much rubbish; so that we are not able to build the wall.

11And our adversaries said, They shall not know, neither see, till we come in the midst among them, and slay them, and cause the work to cease.

12And it came to pass, that when the Jews which dwelt by them came, they said unto us ten times, From all places whence ye shall return unto us they will be upon you.

13Therefore set I in the lower places behind the wall, and on the higher places, I even set the people after their families with their swords, their spears, and their bows.

14And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses.

15And it came to pass, when our enemies heard that it was known unto us, and God had brought their counsel to nought, that we returned all of us to the wall, every one unto his work.

16And it came to pass from that time forth, that the half of my servants wrought in the work, and the other half of them held both the spears, the shields, and the bows, and the habergeons; and the rulers were behind all the house of Judah.

17They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon.

18For the builders, every one had his sword girded by his side, and so builded. And he that sounded the trumpet was by me. Nehemiah 4:7-18
    Well Done!!!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Resolving arms and religion can sometimes be a controversial issue, but it doesn't really need to be.

The Church has long been an advocate of nonviolence, as it should be. I'm an advocate of nonviolence, too - which is why I carry a firearm. Unless I screw up and get myself in the wrong place at the wrong time, I'll never have to use it. As such, it's no more violent than my car keys.

All things being equal, churches should be against violence and support nonviolent, peaceful people who choose to arm themselves.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast