CCW Holder Fired By Pizza Hut - Page 8

View Poll Results: Boycott Pizza Hut Nationwide

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Boycott Pizza Hut Till They Make A Televised, Printed, Apology And Retraction

41 63.08%
  • Pizza Hut infringed upon its employees 2A Rights, Iowa's Right To Carry, by its policy & actions

33 50.77%
  • No, I am With The Democrats & Obama Do Not Boycott Pizza Hut, They Were Well Within Their Rights

5 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Holder Fired By Pizza Hut

Quote Originally Posted by rjnsn View Post
    EXACTLY!!! The delivery guy was in HIS car, not the company's. HE had every right to carry a firearm lawfully IN HIS OWN CAR!!!!! Why are people so content acting as SHEEP???? This should not even be a debate. When one is in his/her own car (one's property) then they have the right to defend themselves. If a CCW carries properly, then no one will know they are, in fact, carrying. Therefore, it is a non issue. Do you ask your guests if they possess items that offend you prior to entering your home? Of course not. If they do possess them then it is on their person. Not your business. If they are close enough to me to be allowed in my home, then I would trust them with a gun (otherwise they wouldn't be there in the first place). This makes the argument moot in my reality. However, if an individual states, prior to my arrival, that they would prefer that I leave my firearm secured in my car (I have one acquaintance who has requested this) then I would respect their wish. Generally, though, I carry concealed anytime I am not home and most people understand the choice.
    How were you able to ascertain that the employee was using his own car? I do not know if the employee was in his own car or not, but I can say that all along, that is one portion of this discussion that has been neglected. If the employee was indeed in his car, then I'll say that Pizza Hut was wrong. I guess that all along I must have been assuming that he was in a company car.

3. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Welcome to USA Carry, bretj; I see that this is your first post on this forum, and boy have you come out swinging! Welcome aboard!
    Hehehehe....been lurking quite a while. This particular thread really concerned me. For what it's worth, something similar almost happened to me...

4. Quote Originally Posted by rjnsn View Post
    EXACTLY!!! The delivery guy was in HIS car, not the company's. HE had every right to carry a firearm lawfully IN HIS OWN CAR!!!!! Why are people so content acting as SHEEP???? This should not even be a debate. When one is in his/her own car (one's property) then they have the right to defend themselves. If a CCW carries properly, then no one will know they are, in fact, carrying. Therefore, it is a non issue. Do you ask your guests if they possess items that offend you prior to entering your home? Of course not. If they do possess them then it is on their person. Not your business. If they are close enough to me to be allowed in my home, then I would trust them with a gun (otherwise they wouldn't be there in the first place). This makes the argument moot in my reality. However, if an individual states, prior to my arrival, that they would prefer that I leave my firearm secured in my car (I have one acquaintance who has requested this) then I would respect their wish. Generally, though, I carry concealed anytime I am not home and most people understand the choice.
    Well said. However, things get dicey since he was on company time...in addition, I bet there was some sort of Pizza Hut placard or light bar thingy on the vehicle.

Before anyone starts swinging at me, let me point out I think Pizza Hut should be ashamed of their decision and I have let them know that as well. They may as well state that an employee will be "terminated" by the company if an attempt is made to defend yourself while on their time.

A couple years ago, I was working out of a data center which was leased by my former employer. It was close to an indoor range so me and a buddy thought we would burn a few boxes of ammo during lunch. Apparently, we made the mistake of letting someone know where they could find us in an emergency.
    When we arrived back, management contacted us and told us that it was in our best interest not to do it again... When it was pointed out it was on our time, management then asked that we try and be more discrete...go figure. All we did was try and do the right thing by letting them know where we were in an emergency. After talking with a lawyer friend (I know. You should not use lawyer and friend in the same sentence.) He stated that if I had been shooting on their time, obviously they had grounds to fire me. Since it was on my time, they could not do anything.

Tricky subject. No, I am not a sheep for debating this point. I hate it when people can't see the Constitution for the amendments. (Can't see the forest for the trees) and tend to be vocal about all our freedoms. (BTW, I am a card carrying, conservative, Libertarian)
    Last edited by bretj; 07-19-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Has anyone found out yet if the fired employee was in his own car or in a company car?

6. I don't think it matters, he was still on the the Huts clock and thus still must follow their policy.

If I leave work and show up at a clients falling down drunk, I would expect to be fired. I'm not on my works property, however I still have to follow their rules while working for them.

Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I don't think it matters, he was still on the the Huts clock and thus still must follow their policy.

If I leave work and show up at a clients falling down drunk, I would expect to be fired. I'm not on my works property, however I still have to follow their rules while working for them.

Shannon
    If that's the case, then, based on your logic, if they can tell him that he can't have a gun in his vehicle on company time, then why stop there? They could also tell him that he can't have have air fresheners on his rear view mirrors, bumper stickers on the bumpers, or play the radio while he's driving.

8. PizzaHut is getting alittle crusty. My car has a gun in it all the time when I'm in it and up till last month pizza hut had a gun in it when I was there.

9. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    If that's the case, then, based on your logic, if they can tell him that he can't have a gun in his vehicle on company time, then why stop there? They could also tell him that he can't have have air fresheners on his rear view mirrors, bumper stickers on the bumpers, or play the radio while he's driving.
    Yes. That's true. they could set these rules.

I'm not saying I agree with them, but as a private business owner, they can set any rules they want.

10. One more point. Pizza Hut is not worried about the driver, they are worried about themselves. If you allow your drivers to carry, what happens when he shoots a bystander? Financially / risk management I'm sure PH is better off without their drivers carrying guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Yes. That's true. they could set these rules.

I'm not saying I agree with them, but as a private business owner, they can set any rules they want.
    Sure they can set the rules if the car belongs to them.

If the car belonged to the company, I'd agree with you. Whether he's on company time or not, if he's in his car, which is his property, not the company's they can't tell him what he can or cannot have in it. If they don't want him carrying, they would be more justified in enforcing this if he were driving a company car. For liability purposes, it's always better for delivery drivers to be using company cars anyway.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast