CCW Holder Fired By Pizza Hut

View Poll Results: Boycott Pizza Hut Nationwide

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Boycott Pizza Hut Till They Make A Televised, Printed, Apology And Retraction

41 63.08%
  • Pizza Hut infringed upon its employees 2A Rights, Iowa's Right To Carry, by its policy & actions

33 50.77%
  • No, I am With The Democrats & Obama Do Not Boycott Pizza Hut, They Were Well Within Their Rights

5 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Holder Fired By Pizza Hut

A 10 year plus Pizza Hut Employee and long time CCW permit holder was recently fired for defending himself...

Pizza Hut deliveryman James Spiers thought he was making a routine delivery, but he was walking into an ambush. As Spiers approached, an armed man sprang at him with a gun, but Spiers, a concealed-carry permit holder, was no easy target. Police say Spiers struggled hard with the assailant until he was able to produce his handgun. "It was a long ordeal... my life was, without a doubt, in danger," Spiers recalls. Spiers shot the suspect three times. The suspect fled and was arrested at the hospital. Pizza Hut summarily fired Spiers, a 10-year employee, citing a corporate policy forbidding employees from carrying firearms. To voice your displeasure, call Pizza Hut Corporate Offices at 800-948-8488 or visit http://www.pizzahut.com/contactus/co...m.aspx?|1=2024
    Source: The Armed Citizen, July 2008 Issue, The American Hunter Magazine, NRA Offical Journal of the National Rifle Association
    and (The Des Moines Register, Des Moines, IA, 04/03/2008)

AND BOYCOTT PIZZA HUT UNTIL THEY RESOLVE THIS, AS I AM.

Unfortunately with a lot of jobs today it comes down to abiding by their rules and taking a chance with your life of carrying and run the risk of being fired. I would not do any kind of night delivery work without a firearm. It is just to dangerous. It is to bad he lost his job but better the job than his life.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I agree with HK4U, I would never make night deliveries without a weapon for self defense.

On the other hand, I recognize the rights of the company to set its own policies and rules for employment.

Do I frequent Pizza Hut?
    No.

Would I like to force them to publicly apologize?
    No, they were following their written policies that the employee agreed to abide by.

Would I like to see them apologize?
    Definitely, yes. I disagree with their policies, but that doesn’t make them in violation of the 2nd Amendment. The employee agreed to the terms of employment. This a a contractual thing not a criminal thing.

Am I with the Democrats and Obama?
    No, but I still think that Pizza Hut was well within their rights to set their own company policies.

Just because you disagree with somebody does not necessarily make them wrong, all opinions are valid. What makes somebody wrong is trying to force their opinions and values on others. In this case since the employee agreed to work for them under their terms of employment you really can not say that they forced him to do anything or restricted his rights in any way. He violated his employment contract and suffered the consequences.

yes too bad he lost his job.. but I support what he did. I would have done the same.. and I mean at least it was only pizza hut.. he can find something better I am sure.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Pizza hut has long been known for its anti-employee safety stance. I'd happily join the boycott but they'd never notice--I've not bought their crappy pizza in years...
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

I work nights and can't carry, but I'm locked indoors and it's well into morning when I leave the parking lot. Still, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to say goodbye to some crappy delivery job if my life depended on it. I'm sure he can find other work and I'm sure this case is reverberating through the employee ranks of Pizza Hut. They may lose out in the end.

Being a small business owner for the last 14 years, I want the freedom to set my terms of hire and employment as long as I am not breaking any laws. I don't think PH is doing that here. Let them decide who to hire and fire, let me decide where I should work.

I'm not a fan of activists, boycotts, rallies, marches and the like. The guy defended himself properly, he should have no problem finding a better place to work.

I agree with tcotariu comment 100%

also
    I do not buy or eat from Pizza Hut anyways

Pizza Hut blows. I don't go there anyway.

I'd say it's ok to raise a stink about this incident though. Employers may set policies, but they do not have the right to tell someone what they can or cannot carry on their person, so long as the item does not violate the law, and it does not interfere with their work performance.

If the gun would not have been used, it (presumably) would not have been discovered except by a search, which the employer is not authorized to carry out. Thus, this could be construed as representing the result of an unreasonable search.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    Pizza Hut blows. I don't go there anyway.

I'd say it's ok to raise a stink about this incident though. Employers may set policies, but they do not have the right to tell someone what they can or cannot carry on their person, so long as the item does not violate the law, and it does not interfere with their work performance.

If the gun would not have been used, it (presumably) would not have been discovered except by a search, which the employer is not authorized to carry out. Thus, this could be construed as representing the result of an unreasonable search.

Oh please, that's ridiculous. Employers take urine and saliva samples all the time. I would think that is a bit more unreasonable than having employees walk through a metal detector for a gun search, which also happens at many places.

Pizza Hut may be ah*les, but they do have the right to set standards for their employees, as does GM, the Post Office, Allstate Insurance and Bank of America. How many of those do you figure allow guns on their property or allow employees to carry while working? There are thousands of corporations with written policies against guns during work. Are they all breaking the law? According to you they are.

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" do these corporations and some individuals responding to this thread not understand?

You can not read any thing else into it...

The Unabridged Second Amendment

http://nraila.org/

http://gunowners.org/

If you fail to oppose any and all anti-gun measures, bans, etc., public and private, government, city, state or other municipality, you are supporting them and you may as well register to vote democrat and openly support Barack Hussein Obama, Billary Clinton, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Dianne Feinstein, Chuck Schumer, Michael Bloomberg, et. al., instead of closet support by your non-action(s); as you clearly fail to comprehend your fundamental, inalienable, god given right to defend yourself, your family, friends, neighbors, peers etc., by any means necessary, anywhere, anytime, any place; reaffirmed by the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States.

If we do nothing, we can only say we did nothing... George Washington
    Last edited by Bohemian; 06-18-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast