CCW in a Comercial Vehicle

Thread: CCW in a Comercial Vehicle

CCW in a Comercial Vehicle

Does any one know if it is against the law to carry while driving a comercial vehicle.
    I hear both yes and no, but I can't find any law stating the facts.
    Mike

This was discussed not more that 2 days ago here

Ohio CCW Laws

Quote Originally Posted by ohioccw View Post
    Does any one know if it is against the law to carry while driving a comercial vehicle.
    I hear both yes and no, but I can't find any law stating the facts.
    Mike
    Ohioccw---As a Resident of Ohio, I am sure you are aware that due to recent legistlature, We have gone under numerous changes related to CCW, not to mention the end of the " Duty to Retreat " Law. As any establishment can post a "No Carry" sign, so can the owner of a Commercial Vehicle. A good source for information related to the CCW laws of Ohio are Ohio's Concealed Carry Laws and Buckeye Firearms Association.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't
    pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for,
    protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend
    our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it
    was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

"We The People"

"The Pro Gun Blog"

The laws for CCW in a commercial vehicle are the same as those for CCW (or for that matter, open carry) in private vehicles. However, in addition to state laws, you also have to be aware of company policies. Even though violating a company policy againt CCW will not get you arrested, it can cost you your job if you're not careful. In conclusion, I would just say to make sure you know what your company's policy is regarding weapons in company vehicles as well as the laws of the state you're in.

The conpany that I drive for does not have any rules against it in their vehicles. I can not find any law against it on any websites including DOT sites.
    I know what ofcc forum says it's OK but nobody is 100% sure about the laws.
    I do carry very often depending on where I am going and what their signage is. (School, Gov't buildings, Stadiums, etc.....) (I drive tour buses).
    Mike

I've heard varying things on this as well......It was usually along the lines of CDL holders CAN NOT carry in the cab of a truck. I don't know if this applied to inter-state transport (as opposed to Interstate) or if it's some sort of federal restriction, or nothing else, a RUMOR.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    I've heard varying things on this as well......It was usually along the lines of CDL holders CAN NOT carry in the cab of a truck. I don't know if this applied to inter-state transport (as opposed to Interstate) or if it's some sort of federal restriction, or nothing else, a RUMOR.
    Until someone can point to the CFR which states the operator of a commercial vehicle cannot carry then you can. Also keep in mind that some armored vehicles require a CDL to operate because of the GVWR. The restrictions of what can be transported in a commercial vehicle typically apply to cargo or passenger area and not the cab. Anytime someone says something is illegal and I believe it is legal, I tell them to show me the code, law, regulation or statute that states it is illegal with the penalties.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...