The Constitutional Right and Social Obligation to Carry a Gun

Thread: The Constitutional Right and Social Obligation to Carry a Gun

Thumbs up The Constitutional Right and Social Obligation to Carry a Gun

Don't know if this has been posted before, heck I may have even posted it, but it is must reading as far as I am concerned. There may be some here new to the forum that have not read it.

The Constitutional Right and Social Obligation to Carry a Gun
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

A very good article, well written and researched. Thanks for posting.

I would never say that anyone is obligated to exercise RKBA. Remember, civil libertarians are quick to point out that in the First Amendment, freedom of religion also means freedom from it. The same goes for RKBA. Yes, it is a good idea for everyone to go out and get at least a working knowledge of firearms, but, just like everything else in the Constitution (including the right to vote, right to worship, etc), it is a choice, not an obligation.

I would agree with tatt, A person as the"right" not "obligation". That is what it says in the Constitution. The author even states that it's a huge responsibility and taking a life is not something everyone can do. But it's a good article and gives CCW's food for thought.
    New York State Consolidated Laws, Civil Rights, Article 2-Bill of Rights, Section 4

S 4. Right to keep and bear arms. A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms cannot be infringed.

While I agree the RKBA is a right of choice, to stand in defense of the nation when required is an obligation. Because of this, I can see what the author is trying to say.

Well Said !!!

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I would never say that anyone is obligated to exercise RKBA. Remember, civil libertarians are quick to point out that in the First Amendment, freedom of religion also means freedom from it. The same goes for RKBA. Yes, it is a good idea for everyone to go out and get at least a working knowledge of firearms, but, just like everything else in the Constitution (including the right to vote, right to worship, etc), it is a choice, not an obligation.
    I must say that tattedupboy has "Summed It Up" very Well. I only wish that "I" had said that---Keep It up tatt!!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't
    pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for,
    protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend
    our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it
    was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

"We The People"

"The Pro Gun Blog"

The only way the enemies of our constitution can defeat us is if we are unarmed. If we do not get it across to Americans every where the need to be armed our enemies will win.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -- Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

- Thomas Paine

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

- Elbridge Gerry

"The great object is, that every man be armed."

- Patrick Henry

"Are we at last brought to such an humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the difference between having our arms under our own possession and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"

- Patrick Henry

"Another source of power in government is a military force. But this, to be efficient, must be superior to any force that exists among the people, or which they can command; for otherwise this force would be annihilated, on the first exercise of acts of oppression. Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive."

- Noah Webster An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution, Philadelphia, 1787

"To these (federal troops attempting to impose tyranny) would be opposed a militia amounting to near half a million of citizens with arms in their hands." (Federalist Papers #46) JAMES MADISON

"To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." 1788 (Federal Farmer) RICHARD HENRY LEE

There are of course many more quotes but you get the idea. If we are to preserve liberty we better believe we have an obligation
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by tracker View Post
    I must say that tattedupboy has "Summed It Up" very Well. I only wish that "I" had said that---Keep It up tatt!!
    Thank you. It's nice to be appreciated. I'm only trying to expose the truth, not hide people from it like the typical anti wants to do.