D.C. and Hanguns

Thread: D.C. and Hanguns

1. D.C. and Hanguns

There is still going to be a big problem in obtaining handguns in D.C.

First and foremost, since the handgun ban was imposed there are no federally licensed dealers in D.C.

Second, they have very restrictive zoning laws, and you can be sure that they will try to use these in order to prevent someone from coming in. This would leave open some of the areas that are crime ridden, but any store owner would deal with the potential for consistent targeting by criminals.

There is the issue of neigboring States, however, in order to purchase from an out of state dealer, as you know the handgun would need to be transferred to a licensed dealer in the state of residence. There are none in D.C. which is another hurdle that will need to be overcome.

In essence, this is a great victory for the 2nd Amemdment overall, however, I am not sure that it will be any easier today or in the near future to have a legal handgun in D.C. than it was yesterday.

The good news is that long guns will no longer be required to be disassembled or have a trigger lock, and residents will be more readiy able to protect home and family.
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

I would move to DC with my purchases from my current state

sell or transfer to my relatives (if I had some there) , or sell to another resident with a DC Permit/DC License

4. Quote Originally Posted by LeavingMass View Post
    I would move to DC with my purchases from my current state

sell or transfer to my relatives (if I had some there) , or sell to another resident with a DC Permit/DC License
    and that is really the only way to do it. The two current choices due to lack of an FFL network is private sale and gifting.
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

Where there is a will there is a way.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

A quick FFL search turns up 23 FFL's in D.C. They are there... but probably hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmach View Post
    Second, they have very restrictive zoning laws, and you can be sure that they will try to use these in order to prevent someone from coming in.
    Possibly. However, a platoon of commercial real estate lawyers may be able to fix that.

I think that pawnshops and sporting goods stores that are already established might not have that much trouble; after the recent ruling, it's really just bringing in a new inventory item. Setting up a range would be a whole different issue entirely though.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Just out of curiosity, since the residents of DC are not really in any state, how does it work. It appears that they have to buy a firearm in DC only. Is that correct?
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.