Washington DC Already Planning To Restrict Law-Abiding Citizens 2nd Amendment Rights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington DC Already Planning To Restrict Law-Abiding Citizens 2nd Amendment Rights

Angry Washington DC Already Planning To Restrict Law-Abiding Citizens 2nd Amendment Rights

The following is a memo sent to Washington, DC residents by Cathy Lanier, Washington, DC Chief of Police:
    Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:35 PM
    Subject: Supreme Court Update

Residents,
    Unfortunately, the Supreme Court today struck down part of the District of Columbia's handgun ban. I wanted to drop you a note to let you know the immediate impact of this decision.

The Supreme Court's ruling is limited and leaves intact various other laws that apply to private residents who would purchase handguns or other firearms for home possession. It is important that everyone know that:
    a.. First, all firearms must be registered with the Metropolitan Police Department's Firearms Registration Section before they may be lawfully possessed.
    a.. Second, automatic and semiautomatic handguns generally remain illegal and may not be registered.
    a.. Third, the Supreme Court's ruling is limited to handguns in the home and does not entitle anyone to carry firearms outside his or her own home.

Lastly, although the Court struck the safe storage provision on the ground that it was too broadly written, in my opinion firearms in the home should be kept either unloaded and disassembled or locked.

I will comply with the Court's reading of the Second Amendment in its letter and spirit. At the same time, I will continue to vigorously enforce the District's other gun-related laws. I will also continue to find additional ways to protect the District's residents against the scourge of gun violence.

Residents who want additional information can visit the Metropolitan Police Website at Metropolitan Police Department: Gun Registration. Residents with questions are encouraged to contact the Firearms Registration Section at 202-727-9490.

Sncerely,

Cathy Lanier
    Chief of Police

Memo Source: WashingtonPost.com

Last edited by doublenutz; 06-27-2008 at 10:11 PM.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's ridiculous

If you watched the press conference they had, they stated exactly what the note says but they also said the were going to make "restrictions as tough as the constitutions allows". So they are going to make it very hard for D.C. residents to get a handgun and it will only be a revolver. So I wouldn't be surprised if the were more legal actions. I still feel bad for law-abiding D.C. citizens and I hope they continue to fight.
    New York State Consolidated Laws, Civil Rights, Article 2-Bill of Rights, Section 4

S 4. Right to keep and bear arms. A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms cannot be infringed.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by doublenutz View Post
    The following is a memo sent to Washington, DC residents by Cathy Lanier, Washington, DC Chief of Police:
    Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:35 PM
    Subject: Supreme Court Update

Residents,
    Unfortunately, the Supreme Court today struck down part of the District of Columbia's handgun ban. I wanted to drop you a note to let you know the immediate impact of this decision.

The Supreme Court's ruling is limited and leaves intact various other laws that apply to private residents who would purchase handguns or other firearms for home possession. It is important that everyone know that:
    a.. First, all firearms must be registered with the Metropolitan Police Department's Firearms Registration Section before they may be lawfully possessed.
    a.. Second, automatic and semiautomatic handguns generally remain illegal and may not be registered.
    a.. Third, the Supreme Court's ruling is limited to handguns in the home and does not entitle anyone to carry firearms outside his or her own home.

Lastly, although the Court struck the safe storage provision on the ground that it was too broadly written, in my opinion firearms in the home should be kept either unloaded and disassembled or locked.

I will comply with the Court's reading of the Second Amendment in its letter and spirit. At the same time, I will continue to vigorously enforce the District's other gun-related laws. I will also continue to find additional ways to protect the District's residents against the scourge of gun violence.

Residents who want additional information can visit the Metropolitan Police Website at Metropolitan Police Department: Gun Registration. Residents with questions are encouraged to contact the Firearms Registration Section at 202-727-9490.

Sincerely,

Cathy Lanier
    Chief of Police

Memo Source: WashingtonPost.com

At the same time, I will continue to vigorously enforce the District's other gun-related laws. I will also continue to find additional ways to protect the District's residents against the scourge of gun violence.
    [
    I]Who will protect them against stupidity in high places?[/I]
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Fifty bucks says that she has fuly assembled and in working order firearms in her home.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Fifty bucks says that she has fuly assembled and in working order firearms in her home. gf

***NO DOUBT!***

I would bet she never leaves the station/precint/home on or off duty without one strapped on
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by doublenutz View Post
    Well...we'll see about that.

Her opinion isn't worth the air she used to utter it with.

Yeah, sure...and she's also the Tooth Fairy.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Thumbs up

Apparently Cathy Lanier Chief of Police D.C. ...

failed to either listen to and or read the Supreme Court Opinion...
    Available at:
    http://www.nraila.org/heller/

which states that the D.C. gun ban amounts to the ban of an entire class of weapons... which fails constitutional scrutiny...

In other words "the ban of an entire class of weapons is unconstitutional"

I find no exclusion of semi-autos in the Heller decision or full-autos for that matter...

The only mention of revolvers or semi-autos was in the dissent(s) which has no bearing on the courts decision...

It is time if you have not done so already to write the NRA, GOA, SAF and your representatives and the media to let them know of Cathy Lanier Chief of Police D.C. latests shenanigans

Write your representatives:
    NRA-ILA :: Action Center

Write the media:
    NRA-ILA :: Action Center

Write the NRA (National Rifle Association):
    https://secure.nraila.org/Contact.aspx

Write the GOA (Gun Owners of America):
    Gun Owners of America

Write the SAF (Second Amendment Foundation):
    Second Amendment Foundation Online

Write FoxNews (Sean Hannity has a CCW):
    Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com

The Unabridged Second Amendment:
    http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/unabridged.2nd.html
    Last edited by Bohemian; 06-28-2008 at 11:02 AM.

9. I see this as a attempt to continue enforcing laws that are not in the spirit of the SCOTUS rulling in Heller V DC. I think of it as a delaying action to further delay the freedom that the ruling was supposed to return. This is a police department trying to enforce it's own interpretation of the ruling and will take years to get things sorted out. I would not be surprised if it takes years to get things sorted out. I wonder if they actually put things like this on a ballot and had a vote on the matter what the feelings of the majority of the residents would be? I am sitting here thinking that these restrictive laws were probably not enacted as the result of any voting on the part of the people. More likely they were some career politicians knee jerk reaction to a perceived crime wave as a simple measure he could point to as being tough on crime. I wonder when the fools will figure it out that criminals will always have guns and it is only hurting the law abiding citizens.
    ["Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    - Ben Franklin
    FONT]

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by The Gunny View Post
    I see this as a attempt to continue enforcing laws that are not in the spirit of the SCOTUS ruling in Heller V DC. I think of it as a delaying action to further delay the freedom that the ruling was supposed to return. This is a police department trying to enforce it's own interpretation of the ruling and will take years to get things sorted out. I would not be surprised if it takes years to get things sorted out. I wonder if they actually put things like this on a ballot and had a vote on the matter what the feelings of the majority of the residents would be? I am sitting here thinking that these restrictive laws were probably not enacted as the result of any voting on the part of the people. More likely they were some career politicians knee jerk reaction to a perceived crime wave as a simple measure he could point to as being tough on crime. I wonder when the fools will figure it out that criminals will always have guns and it is only hurting the law abiding citizens.
    I wonder if they actually put things like this on a ballot and had a vote on the matter what the feelings of the majority of the residents would be?

It does not seem to matter much anymore what the people think. Kalafornia is a good example. The people can vote on something there and the California supreme court strikes it down. Thomas Jefferson called the judicial branch a bunch of usurpers and he was right.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Thumbs up

None of the gun bans in ANY STATE including the D.C. gun ban was ever put to the vote of the people...

It was legislated by the likes of Diane Feinstein, Nancy Peloisi, Harry Reid, Chuck Schumer, Barack Hussein Obama, Hanoi John Kerry, The Kennedys, The Clintons, and others...

Vote smart and find out who the gun grabbers are, how they ran for office and how they lead as elected officials, that your vote can impact...

http://www.ontheissues.org/

Project Vote Smart - American Government, Elections, Candidates and Voting

FactCheck.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast