BATFE Targets CCW Holders - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BATFE Targets CCW Holders

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Check out the following gov. site, please.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/053008_n...openletter.pdf

It explains BATFE's reasoning behind the checks. Also, I had a good friend of mine wounded and another killed at Waco, TX, during Clinton's term and feel that you and others are being overzealous in your attacks against the BATFE. These are/were great guys and law enforcement personnel doing their jobs as directed by our government. I worked with both of these guys and many others during my 31 years with the State Police here in Arkansas and I can say they are and have been patriotic, fair and hardworking.

Give 'em a break and work on your Government...especially work on doing away with the anti-gun left wing idiots.

Larry
    Please re-read post #27 of this thread...

The BATFE is part of the problem, not part of the solution...

And read...
    As part of its Asset Forfeiture training program for agents, the BATFE ordered 2,000 Leatherman tools inscribed with the words "Always Think Forfeiture." The program urges agents to focus on seizing private property...
    http://gunowners.org/a060608.htm
    And...

Time to Stop BATFE Abuses: Congress Pursues Firearm Law Reforms...
    http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Article...x?id=281&issue

And...

BATFE Agents Burst Into Wrong House...
    http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/News....aspx?ID=10892

The BATFE and IRS should have been abolished a long time ago... both are back-door unconstitutional infringements imposed on U.S. Citizens without the vote of the people...
    Last edited by Bohemian; 07-05-2008 at 08:32 PM.

NEVADA: Important Information for Right-to-Carry Permit Holders!As many of you have been made aware, as of Tuesday, July 1, Nevada CCW permits will no longer qualify as an alternative to a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) through the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This action is a result of Nevada's loss of exemption due to an audit conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) in 2004 which uncovered a number of Brady Law violations. NRA has recently learned that the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association (NVSCA) will be discussing the possibility of asking BATFE for another audit of the Nevada CCW permit process prior to their scheduled July 17 quarterly meeting. According to NVSCA Executive Director Frank Adams, he believes that Nevada could pass a new audit, however, the request to BATFE must be given the green light from all seventeen sheriffs. Please take the time to contact your Sheriff immediately and ask that they join with their fellow sheriffs when this matter comes before them! The contact information for your Sheriff, as well as all seventeen, can be found on the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association website at www.nvsca.com/agency_links.html. For more information, please click here.

Cross Posted...
    Last edited by Bohemian; 07-05-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Please Attend Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Concealed Cary Forum!

5. BATFE Targets CCW Holders

This just confirms my feelings about the BATF, due to two cases involving people I knew in Arizona, A friend of mine applied to the BATF for an FFL, and when asked how many guns he planned on selling or trading in the following year, he responded about 20. The ATF agent inmformed him that was too small a number, that he did not need a license for that small a number of weapons, and that they would be private sales, outside the ken of the BATF. About three weeks later, ATF agents raided the home of another friend of mine and seized all the weapons in their home, and arrested them on a charge of dealing in firearms without a license. Their crime? They had sold six guns over the past six months. It took a darn good lawyer to get them out of that pickle.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

There is no NICS fee in Mi, N our AG has a letter of agreement with the ATF that all new permits do not need one, then again we have to be fingerprinted, and pass a criminal background check, along with other stuff before we get our CCW.

Why are Nevada CCW holders being singled out for this fee? I live in IN, and I have never seen any such fee associated with the NICS check.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Why are Nevada CCW holders being singled out for this fee? I live in IN, and I have never seen any such fee associated with the NICS check.
    I do not know for certain but I suspect that it is because they have a group of Police Chiefs that decide gun laws in their state instead of letting the legislature do it. Letting the Police make and decide how laws are interpreted is a real bad idea.

NICS checks

Some States defer NICS checks to the FBI, in which case it's free and funded by Congress. Some States like Nevada and Utah, NICS checks are done by the State. In those cases, there's a fee or Brady Tax to maintain the State computer system. The reason our NICS check was revoked is that Nevada Sheriffs have not been complying with the Brady law requirements to keep our NICS check exemption in tact.

This issue will be addressed during the NV SCA meeting next week and this next legislative session. Because Nevada is one of the most expensive States for a NICS check, it is a hot political issue as it deals with money.

Sheldon, we've gone over this several times before. The only thing the NV SCA has the authority to do under Nevada law is determine the training requirements for NV CFPs, certify instructors and what States are recognized in Nevada. They have no other authority under the law. This authority was granted to them by the State legislature. Your AG has made sure your county gun boards are complying with the Brady law requirements for NICS exemptions. If one county deviates from that (WaCo), I suspect you will go through the same issues we are having here in Nevada should BATFE discover it.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    Some States defer NICS checks to the FBI, in which case it's free and funded by Congress. Some States like Nevada and Utah, NICS checks are done by the State. In those cases, there's a fee or Brady Tax to maintain the State computer system. The reason our NICS check was revoked is that Nevada Sheriffs have not been complying with the Brady law requirements to keep our NICS check exemption in tact.

This issue will be addressed during the NV SCA meeting next week and this next legislative session. Because Nevada is one of the most expensive States for a NICS check, it is a hot political issue as it deals with money.

Sheldon, we've gone over this several times before. The only thing the NV SCA has the authority to do under Nevada law is determine the training requirements for NV CFPs, certify instructors and what States are recognized in Nevada. They have no other authority under the law. This authority was granted to them by the State legislature. Your AG has made sure your county gun boards are complying with the Brady law requirements for NICS exemptions. If one county deviates from that (WaCo), I suspect you will go through the same issues we are having here in Nevada should BATFE discover it.
    Please re-read this thread...

The NV SCA and their counter part the nevada highway patrol association are lobbists for the "NEVADA COPS PET PORK PROJECTS"... pure and simple...
    these guys help make the laws the cops want and actually DRAFT many of the gun laws in Nevada submitted to the legislature and elsewhere...
    "ITS ON RECORD"

Basically, the reason why the BATFE revoked Nevada's NICS immunity for CCW holders was due to two words "Renewal" "New" in the application (actually missing) for CCW holders and in the Nevada State Law...

In addition, the Sheriffs, Chiefs and Highway Patrol's associations made a back door deal with the BATFE to get them not to force Nevada CCW holders to NICS fees; because they would get the Nevada Legislature to re-write the law so that it was worded the way the "BATFE" "and nobody else" says it should read... Again the BATFE imposing and writing law that they have no authority to do…

Hint, Hint, write your representatives! whether you live in Nevada or not!
    NRA-ILA :: Action Center

The deal failed to go through because the Nevada Legislature and the Governor of Nevada refused to allow the Nevada Sheriff’s, Chiefs and Highway Patrol Associations to raise the fees for CCW applications; both new and renewals by over 200% (they specificlly stated it was unwaranted) they were asking for in the draft of the new law they submitted to the Nevada Legislature; read up on the shameful shenanigans of the Nevada Sheriffs, Chiefs and Highway Patrol associations under the minutes and submission, and testimonies by these cop pork lobbyists related to Nevada AB21...

So the cops were trying to bribe their way into getting more pork money for using a state NICS system for their own benefit that they could avoid all together by using the FBI NICS system for FREE... They further colluded with the BATFE to impose this on Nevada CCW Holders... under the guise of keeping the same rights to NICS exclusion that the rest of the countries CCW holders have… by simply changing two words in the law and applications for new and renewal CCW applciations....
    so NEVADA COPS and the BATFE are SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS DISGRACEFUL STATE OF EVENTS...

It is imperative that if you are a Nevada resident and you value the second amendment and the right-to-carry that you personally attend the following forum… (if you are out of state write a letter, make a phone call, fax, email , all of the above, you can find the contact info I previously posted, stick up for Nevada, if you don't you might be next if they get away with it!)
    Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Concealed Carry Forum! Wednesday, September 10 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
    NRA-ILA :: Legislation
    Last edited by Bohemian; 09-06-2008 at 09:37 PM.

So the cops were trying to bribe their way into getting more pork money for using a state NICS system for their own benefit that they could avoid all together by using the FBI NICS system for FREE... They further colluded with the BATFE to impose this on Nevada CCW Holders... under the guise of keeping the same rights to NICS exclusion that the rest of the countries CCW holders have… by simply changing two words in the law and applications for new and renewal CCW applciations....
    so NEVADA COPS and the BATFE are SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS DISGRACEFUL STATE OF EVENTS...
    Kind of drops back to what I said, letting the police make and decide law is a real bad idea.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast