BATFE Targets CCW Holders
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BATFE Targets CCW Holders

BATFE Targets CCW Holders

The BATFE has now decided that CCW holders are no longer exempt from NICS checks and the $25.00 fee...

Beginning with the State of Nevada on July 1st, 2008, this Tuesday, Nevada CCW holders will now have to go through a NICS check and pay the $25.00 fee for every rifle and or handgun or any other firearm purchase, this includes those you may have pawned, yes you have to pay for a NICS check to get your own gun back...

One of the benefits of having a CCW has been the provision of not having to pay the stinking $25.00 Brady fee and go though the NICS - NATIONAL (NOT SO INSTANT - READ DAYS) INSTANT CHECK SYSTEM every time you purchase a firearm.

If you are outraged by this, please contact the NRA, GOA, SAF, the Media and your federal, state and local representatives about this...

Last I heard the BATFE was not writing law...

Write your representatives:
    NRA-ILA :: Action Center

Write the Media:
    NRA-ILA :: Action Center

Write the Gun Owners of America:
    Gun Owners of America

Write the Second Amendment Foundation:
    Second Amendment Foundation Online

Write the National Rifle Association:
    https://secure.nraila.org/Contact.aspx

Write Fox News (ureport):
    Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com

If only a few people take action, nothing will change...

If we do nothing, we can only say we did nothing...

Last I heard the BATFE was not writing law...

They think they are above the law. They take their cue from Germany's Gestapo.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

This is the first I've ever heard of a $25 NICS fee. Is this only in the state of Nevada? My most recent firearm purchase was last month, the day after Memorial Day; however it was an FFL transfer from another state. Is it possible that this $25 fee was included in the FFL transfer fee?

Nevada is the first one hit by this BATFE CCW holder infringement (read B.S.)

Effective This Tuesday July 1st, 2008.

This was one of the things Gun Owners of America warned us about in regards to the NICS IMPROVEMENT ACT (AKA: Veterans Disarmament Act) that the NRA assured everybody we had nothing to worry about!

Once again... GOA was right and the NRA was left...I mean wrong...

http://www.gunowners.org/
    Last edited by Bohemian; 06-29-2008 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    This is the first I've ever heard of a $25 NICS fee. Is this only in the state of Nevada? My most recent firearm purchase was last month, the day after Memorial Day; however it was an FFL transfer from another state. Is it possible that this $25 fee was included in the FFL transfer fee?
    The $25 fee is Nevada punishment for living here. They could use the free service provided by ATF like most states, but this brings more money into this greedy government's coffers. The NSCA desire for more money doesn't help.

Section 11 will lead you to a blog about this.

Screwed Once More By BATFE!!
    Well folks, the frickin’ idiots over at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have done it again! Let me take you back to October 2005. At that time the BATFE determined that the Nevada Concealed Firearms Permit was no longer a valid determinate for exemption from having to go through the NICS/Brady background check when a permit holder wished to purchase a firearm. From October 2005 until January 2006 all of us who had valid permits had to undergo another background check, at a charge of $25, in order to obtain a firearm from a licensed dealer.

Thousands of us were really pissed off by this! We got the Nevada Sheriff’s and Chief’s Assoc. to take action and BATFE backed off. The Sheriff’s Assoc. “warned” us that the state must pass particular legislation or we would lose our privilege again. Do any of you remember proposed Assembly Bill 21 from the last legislative session? This was the bill that the Sheriff’s Assoc. promoted saying it would make Nevada compliant with the new BATFE requirements.

AB 21 went down in defeat to the chagrin of the Sheriff’s lobby. Why was it defeated? The NSCA wanted to raise CFP fees by over 100% for new permits and increase renewal fees from $15 to $125!! The Judiciary Committee couldn’t be shown by the NSCA that this was necessary and it lost.

So now comes the BATFE, more than a year after AB 21 was defeated, and says “Since legislation was not passed to bring Nevada CFP’s in compliance then it no longer will serve to exempt permit holders from the NICS/Brady background check and it’s attendant fees”

BATFE has sent an “Open Letter To All Nevada Federal Firearms Licensees” recapping this and telling your local, friendly FFL that as of July 1, 2008 they must run NICS/Brady background checks on all Nevada CFP holders that had been previously exempt.

Where do we go from here? I really don’t know. When BATFE tried to do this to Wyoming a couple of year’s ago the Wyoming Attorney General filed suit against BATFE and they backed down. Could we get our AG to do the same? Probably not. Catherine Cortez Masto has never shown any interest in firearm related issues, though I don’t know that any have been presented to her either.

My best suggestion is to tell your local, friendly FFL that you probably will be buying fewer firearms from him than in the past—sorry about that Glen, but it’s principle thing. Perhaps these guys will then get off their butts and call their legislators, etc. This is, after all, an election year. Nothing gets their juices flowing more than to be told that contributions to their campaign will be curtailed.

Additionally it wouldn’t hurt if you contacted your State Senator and Assemblyman and told them that a federal bureaucracy is holding us up, once again!!
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

If you are referring to Glen Parshall at Bargain Pawn he is our biggest advocate; but he can not do it by himself it takes more then one or two pissed off CCW holders to get the attention of the powers that be...

I provided all the ammo needed to make this happen in my original post...

Venting does nothing, telling your FFL that you will not be buying as many weapons is exactly what the BATFE and anti's want...

What they do not want is every CCW holder to start flooding their email, telephone, fax and snail mail boxes with constituent complaints...

ACTION is how things get done, this is why the anti's are winning generally because we pro's are too laid back, and lazy to get involved...
    AND we let **** happen, and just ***** about it...

If we do nothing, we can only say we did nothing...

I'm not a lawyer but I don't understand how they can "legally" do this? Can't Nevada CCW holder's take them to court an get an injunction? Maybe find a lawyer that's a CCW holder that will take them to court?
    I agree with Bohemian;
    ACTION is how things get done, this is why the anti's are winning generally because we pro's are too laid back, and lazy to get involved...
    AND we let **** happen, and just ***** about it...
    New York State Consolidated Laws, Civil Rights, Article 2-Bill of Rights, Section 4

S 4. Right to keep and bear arms. A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms cannot be infringed.

I am not a NV resident but as I understand this the $25 fee is a state fee and has nothing to do with the NICS, BATFE, ATF or any other federal agency. Here in SC our CWP is still good for not having to go through the NICS check and if you don't have a CWP you don't have to pay anything for it. However a few gun dealers have started charging $25 to do the check but waive it if you pass the check and buy a gun. I think this is fair that most people know ahead of time if they are going to pass or not and plenty just go around from store to store hoping to slip through one of them.

It is my understanding that the whole $25 fee and not being able to use the permit instead was totally the NV legislature mess and they were warned several years ago about it and failed to act. Here in SC our permits are $50 which more than covers the background check and everything for the state to issue the permit and it passes the NICS check.

Somebody in NV is screwing you folks.

Read the earlier post by NDS...

BATFE is screwing Nevada...

11. In florida we still pay a small fee just no waiting period with ccw or trade in.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast