Walmart goes anti-gun - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Walmart goes anti-gun

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    We have metal detectors at the entrances/exits here at the W*M in my town. Wouldn't the CCW pistols set off the bells and whistles?
    I could not imagine any retailer putting metal detectors at their entrances. It makes no sense. Unless they're the only retailer for miles, folks would soon begin shopping elsewhere. Imagine the amonunt of time it would take to screen everyone walking through the door. Not economically viable.

You probably saw an inventory control device by the entrances/exits. Many retailers put them at both the entrances and exits in the event that they have change the flow of traffic, or in many cases because BG often attempt to exit through the entrance when shoplifting. The devices are dormant until an inventory control tag passes through them. These are the little plastic tags you find on garments and some of the high ticket items. You can often find the sticker type tags inside DVD cases and stuck on the inside flaps the packaging of electronic iterms.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I could not imagine any retailer putting metal detectors at their entrances. It makes no sense. Unless they're the only retailer for miles, folks would soon begin shopping elsewhere. Imagine the amonunt of time it would take to screen everyone walking through the door. Not economically viable.

You probably saw an inventory control device by the entrances/exits. Many retailers put them at both the entrances and exits in the event that they have change the flow of traffic, or in many cases because BG often attempt to exit through the entrance when shoplifting. The devices are dormant until an inventory control tag passes through them. These are the little plastic tags you find on garments and some of the high ticket items. You can often find the sticker type tags inside DVD cases and stuck on the inside flaps the packaging of electronic iterms.

gf
    Yeah, I'm wondering if gdcleanfun may have mistaken one of these inventory control devices for a metal detector. The same goes for libraries. They have a device near their entrances and exits that goes off whenever someone tries to take something without first checking it out.

4. Wal-mart craziness.

In this case, it was a city cop who thought open carry in Wal-mart (and the state) was prohibited and was wrong.

Full Article: Gun owner receives apology from police chief : Local News : Knoxville News Sentinel

"Gun owner receives apology from police chief
    Chief's letter, more training follow officer's confusion, threat of arrest

Saturday, September 22, 2007
    Trevor Putnam, who was stopped while he legally carried his gun inside a Wal-Mart by an officer who was mistaken about the state’s gun permit laws, received an apology from Police Chief Sterling P. Owen IV.

Trevor Putnam knew the gun laws. The officer who stopped him didn’t.

“When I told him that I hadn’t done anything, he said he’d find a reason to put me in jail,” said Putnam, 24, who works with guns every day as vice president of Coal Creek Armory in West Knoxville.

“It’s not that I have a problem with police officers. I deal with police officers nationwide from Arizona to Maine every day. But I lost my confidence in a legal right that I knew I had.”

I highly recommend reading the full article.

I'm assuming that if Wal-mart goes by their state's laws, then being bullied about firearms in the store should definitely not be passively accepted. It sounds like a great chance (based on their own policies, and depending on your state) to educate the bully.

By the way, I have found that as a woman I tend to have less trouble with open carry than my male friends. Interesting, no? Never had a problem in Wal-mart with OC, but know some men who have.

BoomChick

Nothing worse than a paranoid cop who doesnt know the law.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

For reference purposes...

Inventory control device, found at Walmart and the dollar store:

Door frame metal detector, found at airports, courthouses and ghetto schools:

Those Metel detectors as you call them are most likely Shop-Lifter Detectors

8. The state laws will dictate. If the private business doesn't want you to carry here in WA state they are REQUIRED to post a sign at all the public entrances declaring that. This sign must be a certain size and posted in plain view if it isn't then it does not exist. I do not open carry in town. I do on my property and out in the country but I don't do it in town for this reason it attracts idiots like a moth to a flame.
    ["Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    - Ben Franklin
    FONT]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456