Dobson says he may endorse McCain

Thread: Dobson says he may endorse McCain

Guess he like a lot of us decide on the lesser of the two evils. Gee I wish there was a way of getting a third party candidate elected.

Eric Gorski - Associated Press Religion Writer - 7/21/2008 7:25:00 AM

WASHINGTON - Conservative Christian leader James Dobson has softened his stance against Republican presidential hopeful John McCain, saying he could reverse his position and endorse the Arizona senator despite serious misgivings. "I never thought I would hear myself saying this," Dobson said in a pre-taped radio broadcast "...While I am not endorsing Senator John McCain, the possibility is there that I might."

Dobson and other evangelical leaders unimpressed by McCain increasingly are taking a lesser-of-two-evils approach to the 2008 race. Dobson and his guest, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary president Albert Mohler, spend most of the pretaped Focus on the Family radio program criticizing Democratic candidate Barack Obama, getting to McCain at the very end.

In an advance copy provided to The Associated Press, Dobson said that while neither candidate is consistent with his views, McCain's positions are closer by a wide margin. "There's nothing dishonorable in a person rethinking his or her positions, especially in a constantly changing political context," Dobson said in a statement to the AP. "Barack Obama contradicts and threatens everything I believe about the institution of the family and what is best for the nation. His radical positions on life, marriage, and national security force me to reevaluate the candidacy of our only other choice, John McCain."

Earlier, Dobson had said he could not in good conscience vote for McCain, citing the candidate's support for embryonic stem-cell research and opposition to a federal constitutional amendment to ban same-sex "marriage," as well as concerns about McCain's temper and foul language.

Dobson said on the radio program he must consider McCain's record against abortion rights and support for smaller government, and added McCain "seems to understand the Muslim threat." He also indicated McCain's choice of a running mate will be a factor. Of his new position, Dobson said in the statement to the AP, "If that is a flip-flop, then so be it."

Both the Obama and McCain campaigns declined comment Sunday.

Dobson says he may endorse McCain (OneNewsNow.com)
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I think it would be a COLD day in hell before he would go for Obama.As for me im looking to invest in ice picks.

I never thought I would see the day that Dobson would even utter these words. I'd better check the next pig I see to make sure it doesn't have wings.

Most of the bad blood between McCain and evangelicals is not because of McCain's actual positions, (which are fairly conservative...just look at his Senate votes) but that he just rejects people trying to obligate him to march to a particular drum. He wants to support something either because he genuinely feels it's important, or because he has decided to on his own - not just to follow the crowd.

I can respect that, even if I don't agree with him all the time. With so many people in DC jumping on bandwagons because it's the popular thing to do, isn't it refreshing to see someone who says, "Well screw ya'll, I'm doing my own thing!" - and while still being successful at getting reelected?

I like that he blocks earmarks like crazy but remains popular in his home state, opposes abortion but supports stem cell research, supports conservative lobbies but tries to clean up the fundraising system. McCain hasn't stopped "freedom of speech" - he's tried to reform a corrupt cash whirlwind system, and that applies to Democrats just as much as Republicans.

Also, when was the last time you saw any candidate - anywhere - admonish his own supporters for using poor taste against the opposition, even if it meant endangering his own tenuous support? I can't remember ever seeing that. All other politicos should take notes from this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    Most of the bad blood between McCain and evangelicals is not because of McCain's actual positions, (which are fairly conservative...just look at his Senate votes) but that he just rejects people trying to obligate him to march to a particular drum. He wants to support something either because he genuinely feels it's important, or because he has decided to on his own - not just to follow the crowd.

I can respect that, even if I don't agree with him all the time. With so many people in DC jumping on bandwagons because it's the popular thing to do, isn't it refreshing to see someone who says, "Well screw ya'll, I'm doing my own thing!" - and while still being successful at getting reelected?

I like that he blocks earmarks like crazy but remains popular in his home state, opposes abortion but supports stem cell research, supports conservative lobbies but tries to clean up the fundraising system. McCain hasn't stopped "freedom of speech" - he's tried to reform a corrupt cash whirlwind system, and that applies to Democrats just as much as Republicans.

Also, when was the last time you saw any candidate - anywhere - admonish his own supporters for using poor taste against the opposition, even if it meant endangering his own tenuous support? I can't remember ever seeing that. All other politicos should take notes from this guy.
    Maybe you haven't seen the most controversial provisions of the McCain-Feingold bill yet, but this bill is very much an infringement on free speech; limiting the amount of money that can be donated by individuals is, in effect, limiting how much advertising candidates are able to do. In fact, nowhere in the Constitution can any Congressional authority to regulate campaign finance be found. In addition, certain provisions of the bill that allow "issue advocacy" but not the mention of a particular candidate's name are clearly an infringement on free speech. How would you feel if I told you that you could take a stand on the 2nd amendment, but are not allowed to say a candidate's name while doing so?
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 07-29-2008 at 12:06 PM.