Dems pressured on guns

Thread: Dems pressured on guns

Dems pressured on guns

The National Rifle Association is putting the election-year squeeze on conservative Democrats, demanding that they buck their leadership to support a bill to erase more of the District of Columbiaís gun laws.

Democratic gun rights supporters will risk losing their A-plus rating if they donít sign a discharge petition to be filed Wednesday bringing the gun-rights bill directly to the floor.

The Hill
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't
    pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for,
    protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend
    our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it
    was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

"We The People"

"The Pro Gun Blog"

Good for our NRA! Put your money where your mouth is! Way to go making them stand by their stated beliefs....
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Still they would take JPFO's stand on BATF

Good for Congress and the BATFE. As for passage of the bill to put D.C. gun laws more in line with the Constitution, I'm wondering just how effective that will be. We see that the only thing the Supreme Court ruling changed was that residents are now allowed to register some handguns; all in all, D.C. still has the worst gun laws in America, however.

It is to be hoped this maneuver works and gets more Democrats on record as being in favor of gun rights. If some momentum can be gained, this morass of anti-gun rights legislation from the past may be whittled away at bit by bit.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

I support people with a brain!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Politics on guns

Quote Originally Posted by tracker View Post
    The National Rifle Association is putting the election-year squeeze on conservative Democrats, demanding that they buck their leadership to support a bill to erase more of the District of Columbiaís gun laws.

Democratic gun rights supporters will risk losing their A-plus rating if they donít sign a discharge petition to be filed Wednesday bringing the gun-rights bill directly to the floor.

The Hill
    Have you noticed how little the nominees have talked about gun control publically? You end up searching their voting records. The reason is pretty simple on the face of it. Obama is on the wrong side of the issue and it would polarize his base. He has an F rating (or worse) and McCain is barely a C rating on firearms. IF Obama does pick Biden to run with him, you will have two strikes against your carry permit. My sense is that positions and votes on firearms WILL be an issue to anyone who owns firearms, or ever hopes to own a firearm. Obama wants to reinstate the assault weapon ban of Clinton. He supported the gun bans in D.C. and Chicago. He does NOT support carry at all, except for police and military. Pelosi did agree to have a vote on the D.C. gun ban House Resolution in mid-September. We will see first if the vote takes place, and whether the Congress, despite its horrible approval rating, will support the Constitution or D.C. in the matter. I like that approach, for it will get firearms to the residents and take the firearm decisions out of the hands of the D.C. idiots. They have shown nothing but disdain for the Supreme Court on DC v Heller and failed to follow the decision and the order from that case. In the vernacular, Congress should Soc et tuum!

It seems that in the current political climate, which is strongly anti Republican, the Democrats' anti gun platform is not going to hurt them much like their support for the AWB did in 1994.