Another "Self defense-free-zone" attacked
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Another "Self defense-free-zone" attacked

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Peoples Republic of california.
    Posts
    28

    Another "Self defense-free-zone" attacked

    KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - One person was killed and eight others wounded after a gunman entered a church in Knoxville, Tenn., and opened fire with a shotgun, police said.

    Knoxville Police Chief Sterling Owen said a longtime church member was killed during the Sunday morning shooting. He identified the man killed as 60-year-old Greg McKendry, an usher at the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church on Kingston Pike.

    Police said the gunman is in custody. A hospital spokeswoman said five of the wounded are in critical condition.

    A church member who arrived moments after the shooting says the gunman opened fire as congregants watched a youth performance. He said none of those injured were children.

    A children’s production of “Annie” was taking place at the time of the shooting. Steve Drevik, a church member, described the shooter as a man with long blond hair, who appeared to be in his 40s. He said he walked into the sanctuary and began shooting indiscriminately.

    Several people had head wounds, Drevik said. Drevick said no one at the church recognized the gunman, who was tackled after he fired the shots, Drevick said. The gunman had more ammunition on him, Drevick said.

    There were about 200 people in the church at the time of the shooting. Police had cordoned off the church with yellow and red tape, and were taking statements and collecting video cameras from church members who had been taping the performance.

    A woman from a nearby Presbyterian church brought flowers to the scene. Carrie Niceley, 19, said an announcement about the shooting was made while she was attending her church Sunday.

    MSNBC News Services
    "Chance Favors the Prepared Mind"

    Please visit my Blog @ http://blaahblaahblog.wordpress.com/

  2.   
  3. #2
    I think the use of the word church for this group is a reach. Still really sad.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
    I think the use of the word church for this group is a reach. Still really sad.
    I don't think your personal religious preferences and prejudices have any place on this thread.

    If anybody wants to get their blood REALLY on the boil, look at this page of comments on the shooting from Chicago. Wow!

    Reports: Church shooting in Tennessee injures several people; s... - Topix

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    The title of this thread is misleading. While it is indeed true that churches are off limits to CC in most states, TN is not one of them. CC with a permit is legal there; apparently in this incident, either no one was carrying, or no one fired back. You should have checked the TN page for a list of off limits places before referring to this church as a "self defense free zone" because as far as the law is concerned, it is not a victim disarmament zone.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoots Running View Post
    I don't think your personal religious preferences and prejudices have any place on this thread.

    If anybody wants to get their blood REALLY on the boil, look at this page of comments on the shooting from Chicago. Wow!

    Reports: Church shooting in Tennessee injures several people; s... - Topix

    I agree. Although I do not agree with what this particular religious group believes or teaches the fact is this can happen in any church anywhere anytime. It was a Baptist church that several were gunned down inf Fort Worth about 10 or 11 years ago. The point is no one is safe anywhere so you better be prepared to defend yourself.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    God has spoken to me. I must carry my firearm where ever it's legal to do so. BG can strike at anytime. For those churches that prohibit or restrict carry, I must stay away and work to educate them on the importance of allowing their congregation members to protect themselves.

    Should I be called on one day to serve God and use my defensive firearm to protect myself as well as others who are in church with me, I will do so to the best of my ability. God will guide me and give me the wisdom and insight of who the BG are and help me to eliminate the threat as quickly as possible with minimal blood shed. Once the BG are on the ground, God will deal with their souls.

    I've always believed in carrying where legal at all times. Some folks call me "paranoid". I tell them that I'm "being prepared". A close friend of mine asked me to leave my firearm at his house when we went to his church. I told him that the day I leave the house without my firearm will be the day that I wish I had it. After a brief discussion he asked me if it would be "obvious" that I was carrying. I responded "I'm carrying it now". He could not detect the firearm in my IWB holster at 11:00 or my ankle holster. At this point he was satisfied that my firearms would not be detected and he wouldn't be "shamed" in front of the congregation. We went to the service, everthing went well and we stuck around after the service for a small luncheon that they had. During the luncheon I was able to chat with the Pastor. I asked him how he felt about members of his congregation legally carrying in his church. His response was that if the folks had a permit and were discreet as to not alarm other church members, then he had no problem. He then discreetly told me that he carries his 1911 in a SOB holster. He basically told me that God's will will prevail, but there's no harm in responsible citizens taking responsibility for their own protection.

    Needless to say my friend has no problem carrying his XD 40 to church. ;-)



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    God has spoken to me. I must carry my firearm where ever it's legal to do so. BG can strike at anytime. For those churches that prohibit or restrict carry, I must stay away and work to educate them on the importance of allowing their congregation members to protect themselves.

    Should I be called on one day to serve God and use my defensive firearm to protect myself as well as others who are in church with me, I will do so to the best of my ability. God will guide me and give me the wisdom and insight of who the BG are and help me to eliminate the threat as quickly as possible with minimal blood shed. Once the BG are on the ground, God will deal with their souls.

    I've always believed in carrying where legal at all times. Some folks call me "paranoid". I tell them that I'm "being prepared". A close friend of mine asked me to leave my firearm at his house when we went to his church. I told him that the day I leave the house without my firearm will be the day that I wish I had it. After a brief discussion he asked me if it would be "obvious" that I was carrying. I responded "I'm carrying it now". He could not detect the firearm in my IWB holster at 11:00 or my ankle holster. At this point he was satisfied that my firearms would not be detected and he wouldn't be "shamed" in front of the congregation. We went to the service, everthing went well and we stuck around after the service for a small luncheon that they had. During the luncheon I was able to chat with the Pastor. I asked him how he felt about members of his congregation legally carrying in his church. His response was that if the folks had a permit and were discreet as to not alarm other church members, then he had no problem. He then discreetly told me that he carries his 1911 in a SOB holster. He basically told me that God's will will prevail, but there's no harm in responsible citizens taking responsibility for their own protection.

    Needless to say my friend has no problem carrying his XD 40 to church. ;-)



    gf
    I would go even further and say that I carry in places where it is not legal over the course of a day. Of course I try not to make a habit of it, but I do not own a car, so everywhere I go I either have to walk or ride the bus. I walk past schools all the time and have even been on school property several times. Nevertheless, I'm not advocating breaking the law; all I'm saying is that sometimes protecting one's self means going places where the law says you can't go, but you must anyway for whatever reason.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Peoples Republic of california.
    Posts
    28

    Interesting responses

    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    You should have checked the TN page for a list of off limits places before referring to this church as a "self defense free zone" because as far as the law is concerned, it is not a victim disarmament zone.
    I thought that this was one place where we were nearly all on the same page. I did my homework on this one but I'm sorry that you didn't like the title of the thread. I rarely run into a conservative elitist. This is a LIBERAL church who's beliefs and teachings are pro gays, pro gun control etc. The false teachings of this place are at at least a part of the reason it was targeted for this attack and also do make this place a "disarmament zone" by virtue of the psychological effect on its members.

    It bothers me that we, as members of the same "team", with the same goals in mind, would make comments to the negative based upon the wording of a thread title.
    "Chance Favors the Prepared Mind"

    Please visit my Blog @ http://blaahblaahblog.wordpress.com/

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Boofreakinyah View Post
    I thought that this was one place where we were nearly all on the same page. I did my homework on this one but I'm sorry that you didn't like the title of the thread. I rarely run into a conservative elitist. This is a LIBERAL church who's beliefs and teachings are pro gays, pro gun control etc. The false teachings of this place are at at least a part of the reason it was targeted for this attack and also do make this place a "disarmament zone" by virtue of the psychological effect on its members.

    It bothers me that we, as members of the same "team", with the same goals in mind, would make comments to the negative based upon the wording of a thread title.
    I think the point he was trying to make was that as far as state laws go it is not a gun free zone. Back in the late 90's Wedgewood Baptist Church in Fort worth was the seen of a mad mans attac. Wedgwood is a conservative Bible believing church and yet it was not spared. Fact is there is a lot of evil out there and as I have said before there is no place really safe anymore. I am posting a site with some infor on the Wedgewood shooting. There are other sites as well for those that would like more information.

    Wedgwood Baptist Church Shooting, Sept 15, '99
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Peoples Republic of california.
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Fact is there is a lot of evil out there and as I have said before there is no place really safe anymore.
    That was exactly my point. It really doesnt matter if the LAW written in the book makes it a "gun free zone" or if being fed false and dangerous information makes a place a "gun free zone", there really are few places we can experience a feeling of relative safety. I live in california and am painfully aware of my inability to legally protect myself or my family pretty much anywhere....including at church.
    ---------------------------------------------

    Info:
    The Unitarian Universalist Association’s stance is to protect the personal right to choose abortion. Other contemporary views include working for equality for homosexuals, gender equality, a secular approach to divorce and remarriage, working to end poverty, promoting peace and nonviolence, and environmental protection.
    Last edited by Boofreakinyah; 07-28-2008 at 02:04 PM.
    "Chance Favors the Prepared Mind"

    Please visit my Blog @ http://blaahblaahblog.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast