What is required to purchase a Rifle?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is required to purchase a Rifle?

1. What is required to purchase a Rifle?

Ive been looking for awhile online and cant find the exact federal rule (or state rule) that states what must be satisfied in order to purchase a long arm. Im most interested in what type of identification is required. Should a state issued ID suffice? There is a local store (part of a very large chain) that is asking for proof of US citizenship by brining in a utility bill.

Racial Profiling?

Thoughts?

I could really use a link to the appropriate statute. Ive searched the Brady Bill and a couple others to no avail. Thanks!

Exclamation What is required

In order to X-fer any firearm you must have it shipped to an FFL (the only exception is CMP...don't get me started.)
    All you need is valid proof of ID (state DL) and a clean record. Fill out the dreaded instant check form and pay the IC fee.
    This shuld get you what you need.
    I have ordered Rifles from other companies and had them shipped to the FFL nearest me. Usually there is a small fee but at least you get what you want.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Exclamation Avoid the big box stores that make life difficult

Quote Originally Posted by LoganB View Post
    Ive been looking for awhile online and cant find the exact federal rule (or state rule) that states what must be satisfied in order to purchase a long arm. Im most interested in what type of identification is required. Should a state issued ID suffice? There is a local store (part of a very large chain) that is asking for proof of US citizenship by brining in a utility bill.

Racial Profiling?

Thoughts?

I could really use a link to the appropriate statute. Ive searched the Brady Bill and a couple others to no avail. Thanks!
    They don't have the right to ask for a utility bill. That is Bunk. Do not shop at that store.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

5. Well, youd think I would have found it by now, but Im looking at a legal cause of action for Racial Profiling under USC 1981. The store was walmart.

My only problem is that I still cant find a copy of state or Fed statute that explicitly states that a valid state issued ID should do.

Anybody have a statute number for me?

A copy of Walmart's gun sale policy would be clutch!

Interesting but since I haven't bought a long gun from a store in 45 years (my mother bought it for me then) I have never bothered with the restrictions for them. How would producing a utilty bill indicate citizenship? Something sounds very fishy and I doubt it is racial profiling but stupidity or a total misunderstanding instead. The only time I have ever heard of a utility bill being required is trying to show what school district you lived in. Certainly doesn't prove citizenship or age, the two requirements.

A lot of businesses use the utility bill to verify "residence" not necessarily "citizenship". By having a utility bill at a local address in your name, companies assume that you're a resident. I use the word "assume" because I have a couple of rental properties wehre I pay the utilities for the tenant. The bill comes directly to me and lists both a service address and billing address.

It may be simply a Wal-Mart company policy to sell only to local residents. I had the problem back in NV. They would not sell to a buddy of mine who was from out of state. My NV DL allowed me to purchase a rifle, but not my buddy. I would recommend checking out a local gun shop and ask them for the specifics regarding long gun purchases. As a FFL dealer, they should know both local and federal law and help you to determine if it was Wal-Mart policy, actual law, or possibly something else.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Which state is this in ?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganB View Post

Racial Profiling?

Thoughts?

First of all, let me be the first to welcome you to USA Carry from here in Indiana. I hope you enjoy this site.

Next, as for purchasing firearms of any kind, whether long guns or handguns, I would think that the information you supply while filling out the paperwork should be proof enough of your citizenship. Furthermore, as far as I know, no state will knowingly issue identification to anyone who isn't a legal resident of the United States (not necessarily a citizen). As for the employee who requested proof of citizenship, I agree, that is bunk. I'm not sure if it was discrimination or if it was just honest ignorance, but in any event, it's clear that they did not know what they were talking about. If I were you, I would take my business somewhere else.

Walmart sucks. Go to a store that is friendly about guns and they won't jerk you around. They might have better prices too.

You can buy a used one from a private owner with no paperwork at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast