Where do you stand??? - Page 9

View Poll Results: Where do you stand???

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama is OK

2 2.50%
  • Obama is the antichrist

27 33.75%
  • What do you mean I can't write in the Stooges

22 27.50%
  • McCain is OK

29 36.25%
  • McCain is the antichrist

0 0%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Where do you stand???

Think Supreme Court Justices - appointed for LIFE! Now think - any write in vote, a Bob Barr vote, all = a vote for Obama. Whether you like McCain or not (I'm not thrilled), the only other option is a disaster - strictly my view! You have all seen how close the D.C. vs Heller SCOTUS vote was - we cannot afford any more liberals on the court. I could type in a number of valid reasons not to allow Obama to become President of the USA, but we do have to respect the use of bandwidth here. Hopefully, more and clearer info on Obama will be allowed out (or found out) prior to the election, so a McCain vote may be more palatible to some.
    sailor

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Think Supreme Court Justices - appointed for LIFE! Now think - any write in vote, a Bob Barr vote, all = a vote for Obama. Whether you like McCain or not (I'm not thrilled), the only other option is a disaster - strictly my view! You have all seen how close the D.C. vs Heller SCOTUS vote was - we cannot afford any more liberals on the court. I could type in a number of valid reasons not to allow Obama to become President of the USA, but we do have to respect the use of bandwidth here. Hopefully, more and clearer info on Obama will be allowed out (or found out) prior to the election, so a McCain vote may be more palatible to some.
    sailor
    Maybe 3rd party votes would give him an advantage in swing states, but not here in Indiana where I live. I'm not voting for either McCain or Obama, but either way, Mccain will win this state by double digits. Even if I did live in a swing state, I refuse to vote for anyone I do not like, and if it has the effect of helping Obama, so be it, but at the end of the day, my conscience would be clear.

Finally, as for the argument that McCain would appoint pro 2A judges, I'm not so sure of that with the Senate controlled by Democrats, who are sure to expand their majority to 55 or 56 after this year's election. Does anyone remember that Justice Souter, who is solidly in the court's liberal wing, was appointed by Bush 41? For that reason, I'm almost certain that the next Supreme Court appointees will be anti 2A no matter who the president is.
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 09-17-2008 at 01:56 AM.

McCain has stated numerous times that he would appoint strict constructionist justices - not pro 2A justices (2A is only one small part of the Constitution) - take the broad view. Two unknowns presented here - what the makeup of the Senate will be, and what justices will be appointed by the new president. Curious why you are so certain that any/all appointed justices will be anti 2A? If appointed by Obama, yes, no question; if appointed by McCain - is you crystal ball all that clear? Just curious.
    sailor

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    McCain has stated numerous times that he would appoint strict constructionist justices - not pro 2A justices (2A is only one small part of the Constitution) - take the broad view. Two unknowns presented here - what the makeup of the Senate will be, and what justices will be appointed by the new president. Curious why you are so certain that any/all appointed justices will be anti 2A? If appointed by Obama, yes, no question; if appointed by McCain - is you crystal ball all that clear? Just curious.
    sailor
    What I do know is that the Democrats will widen their Senate majority in this year's election, and because of that, any judicial appointees deemed "too conservative" will almost certainly be rejected.

That is going to happen regardless of who gets in the Whitehouse. Even if a third party candidate (miraculously) got in, the senate will reject anyone who isn't liberal enough. I'd rather take my chances with the judges picked by McCain than Obama at this point.
    Last edited by MrRezister; 09-18-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: happy fun grammar disease
    "Property is the fruit of labor...property is desirable...is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built."
    -Abraham Lincoln, March 21, 1864

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    If you see it that way, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I cannot in good conscience cast a vote for either one. Voting for the lesser of two evils, as opposed to voting for no evil at all, is still voting for evil. I couldn't care less what effect my vote for the Libertarian Party has on either Obama or McCain's chances of winning; all I care about is following my conscience, which tells me that either one (yes, I know that winner will be one of them) would be bad, and that neither one is worth voting for. And no, staying home is not an option.
    Tattedupboy, you are correct we are both entitled to our opinions. If you vote, you're doing more than most of the population. My only problem is that I threw away a vote once before when I voted for Ross Perot and we all know what happened (Clinton). I promised myself then that I would never throw away a vote again. Believe me, if I thought one of the 3rd party candidates had a chance I would vote for them. The truth is they don't have a chance and that's why we should choose one of the major party candidates we think will do the best for all areas concerned. I'm not a strict party line voter or a one issue voter, I place my vote where I think it will do the best.
    Last edited by ronwill; 09-20-2008 at 08:24 AM.

ronwill -
    a definite +1. Well and clearly put.
    sailor

9. But he had ears and ears of experience.At this point I'm not even sure the Dem's are going to run away with anything.They have s--t in their mess kits and it is going to come out soon.:suicide2:

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Tattedupboy, you are correct we are both entitled to our opinions. If you vote, you're doing more than most of the population. My only problem is that I threw away a vote once before when I voted for Ross Perot and we all know what happened (Clinton). I promised myself then that I would never throw away a vote again. Believe me, if I thought one of the 3rd party candidates had a chance I would vote for them. The truth is they don't have a chance and that's why we should choose one of the major party candidates we think will do the best for all areas concerned. I'm not a strict party line voter or a one issue voter, I place my vote where I think it will do the best.
    Well, just like you believe you threw away your vote voting for a 3rd party candidate, I regretfully say that just four years ago, I threw away my vote by voting for John Kerry, and only as a vote against Bush. Not saying I'm happy Bush won, but I would have been just as unhappy if Kerry had won. I swore I would never throw away my vote on a major party candidate just to vote against the candidate I dislike more.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789