Gun bill clears Senate hurdle

Thread: Gun bill clears Senate hurdle

Gun bill clears Senate hurdle

Gun bill clears Senate hurdle as filibuster falls short

Controversial gun legislation cleared a key Senate hurdle Thursday, as lawmakers voted 68-31 to start debate on the package which includes expanded background checks and new penalties for gun trafficking.

Senate Democrats, joined by a few Republicans, were able to overcome an attempted filibuster by more than a dozen senators opposed to the current bill. Those senators could still slow-walk the debate, but the Senate will ultimately begin votes on amendments -- one of which is considered crucial to winning support for a final vote.

The amendment likely to be at the front of the line is one from Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Pat Toomey, R-Pa., which would scale back the call for universal background checks. The plan would expand checks to gun-show and Internet sales, but exempt certain personal transactions.

The National Rifle Association and other gun-rights supporters voiced concern about the new proposal, saying it still goes too far. But the plan, offered by two lawmakers who are at the conservative end of their respective parties, could help ease opposition ahead of a final vote.

The legislation required at least 60 votes to advance Thursday.

If the bill passes the Senate, it would still have to pass the Republican-dominated House.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks for the Post Kramer, I just couldn't bring myself to LIKE your post because I just didn't like the news in your post, don't ya know.

Dog
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Is this a debate we are afraid to have? Are those opposed to the gun control laws so insecure about their arguments that they don't want them challenged on the Senate Floor?

Given that any gun control bill is unlikely to pass, or any version that does pass the Senate is unlikely to become law, what is the fear?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Is this a debate we are afraid to have? Are those opposed to the gun control laws so insecure about their arguments that they don't want them challenged on the Senate Floor?

Given that any gun control bill is unlikely to pass, or any version that does pass the Senate is unlikely to become law, what is the fear?

My God given right, as stated in the 2A, keeps me from needing to debate this. It has nothing to do with fear.

2Awarrior Guest

Obviously im not following this situation closely enough. I thought they were voting on the freaking BILL, not on whether or not to TALK about it.

We pay these people to do this stuff? Why in the hell would we be afraid to debate???

This SHALL not be good for the pro or the con side of the 2nd Amend. We be in big trouble, either way.
    "Undocumented Second Amendment Supporter, fighting against suppression of mandatory background checks."

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Awarrior View Post
    Obviously im not following this situation closely enough. I thought they were voting on the freaking BILL, not on whether or not to TALK about it.

We pay these people to do this stuff? Why in the hell would we be afraid to debate???
    If I'm a Senator who believes strongly that the bill getting ready to be debated is unconstitutional, and I can stop it from getting one step closer to passage, why would/should I not at least try to stop it? If there's any fear involved at all, it's that there's more tyrants than there are those who take the 2nd Amendment at face value, which is absolutely true. In that regard, we should all be "afraid," but it's fear of burgeoning tyranny, not of valid constitutional debate.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

While I would not be afraid of the debate, I do fear our wizards of smart who seem to think that if they give in and compromise with the libs that the debate will go away. These same morons thought back in January that if that gave in on raising taxes that would take it off the table. That has proven wrong. If we give up anything on 2A they will keep coming back and chip away until they get our guns. That is the goal of the libs and if we keep allowing the libs chip away at 2A we will wake up one day and 2A will be GONE!

The only law I want passed would stop the media from broadcasting the name, picture and details of the scum bag who does a mass shooting or anything else that causes mass death and destruction. Propose that and then watch the media SCREAM about their 1A rights!!! The second thing I want would be for our "wonderful" LEO's and Prosecutors to enforce the laws we have on the books now. To many BG's are getting a pass when they commit a crime with a gun!

Debate something that will become law.

Why would you want to debate something that will not be become a law as you put it. Sure let's waste more time, spend money needlessly, promote wishful thinking on the part of the citizens of America that something constructive was being done when it wasn't, NO stop the madness before it starts and get on to what really needs fixed. Our economy, jobs, education, deficit, social decay and all the other problems that need to be debated and has the chance of passing to help this nation, that is what they get paid to do, so let them do that and stop wasting time.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

One of my Senators voted to allow debate, Roger Wicker (R-MS). His reasoning:

"Today, I voted to allow debate on gun legislation. I have an A+ rating from the NRA and have consistently worked to protect Second Amendment rights. My vote is in accord with the NRA’s position. I have never voted for gun control and will not do so. This begins a debate to put the Senate on record about a basic constitutional freedom. Bringing this bill to the floor gives us the opportunity to vote on measures to strengthen gun rights, such as an amendment to protect veterans from unfair restrictions when trying to purchase a firearm. I will filibuster passage of a final bill if it contains gun restrictions or a weapons ban."

I know this man personally, and I believe that he believes his vote was the right thing.

Having said that, I hope the hell that he and his fellow Republicans know what they are doing. Because if one single addition to the current gun control is made, they will be personally blamed for allowing that door to be opened, and I will actively campaign against him in the next election.
    "I don't think that a society that encourages over a million abortions a year....a society that kills out of convenience, i.e., Jack Kevorkian, can not have consequences." --Rush Limbaugh