GOP Sen. Susan Collins Of Maine backs gun bill
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOP Sen. Susan Collins Of Maine backs gun bill

1. GOP Sen. Susan Collins Of Maine backs gun bill

Just read on Drudge GOP Sen. Susan Collins of Maine backs bill made by Toomey and Manchin. Surprisingly she is up for reelection.

If the polls are correct and the public favors the government gun grab, why would any of our elected representatives be afraid to jump on the Obama band wagon? Toomey and Manchin are doing what all politicians have been doing for years. Chip away at our freedoms little by little and the frogs won't realize the pot is boiling until it's too late. The low information crowd can't see the forest through the trees and the politicians know it. Kumbaya!!!!!!!!!!!
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

You mean this bill? The one that says:

SEC. 117. CLARIFICATION THAT SUBMISSION OF MENTAL HEALTH RECORDS TO THE NATIONAL INSTANT CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK SYSTEM IS NOT PROHIBITED BY THE HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY ACT.
    Information collected under section 102(c)(3) of the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007 (18 U.S.C. 922 note) to assist the Attorney General in enforcing section 922(g)(4) of title 18, United States Code, shall not be subject to the regulations promulgated under section 264(c) of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (42 U.S.C. 1320d-2 note).

So now some one in Government can look at your records and say Hmmmmm this guy got a 30 day prescription for Valium 20 years ago. YANK HIS GUNS!
    I hope more politicians back off of it too.
    Tolerance of the intolerant leads to the destruction of tolerance. “You are also reminded that any inappropriate remarks or jokes concerning security may result in your arrest,” in the land of the free.

This is how I see it. Collins is doing the will of her constituents. Plain and simple. Maine is a funny place politically speaking. Very deep rooted hunting heritage and one of few places where people still rely on hunting and fishing to feed themselves and their families. Everyone has a gun for hunting and/or home protection. Although the applications for CWPs have gone up, there still isn't a huge population of folks who are out there carrying. They more or less are leaving the gun locked away in a vehicle or maybe carry when walking the dog and kids. My point is, I don't believe there is a huge 2nd Amendment following in the true sense. Maine is a VERY liberal State and has been blue....well....forever. Collins got elected due to her likability and being moderate AND IMO, Maine people are terribly ignorant when it comes to politics and current events. I can say that, I live in Maine. And the good people of Maine don't like the black, dangerous looking ARs and believe reducing mag sizes will work. They stick with their great-grandfather's .308 or 30-30 or the like. I like Susan Collins, but at the end of the election cycle, she sure as hell is doing the will of the Maine people and I don't stand with ignorance and feel good laws. It's a shame she's supporting this legislation although I can't blame her either. Her office is probably getting double the calls for gun control support vs. gun rights from us. My $.02......

We can stiil hope that our friends in the senate can amend the bill to our advantage, if not outright defeat it.

7. Wish there was a way that they could pass a bill that says you can't screw with the 2A so leave it alone. I can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by ffrandy View Post
    Wish there was a way that they could pass a bill that says you can't screw with the 2A so leave it alone. I can dream.
    There is....

It's called the Constitution and it ALREADY states what restrictions are placed on Government..

Collins and Snow are both RINOs. What I want to know is what is in the water in the NE that affects so many with liberalism?
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Toomey and Manchen (with the help of Schumer, which should put us on guard!) only drafted an amendment which I believe is called amendment 414 (my number might be off a little). There are at least three other amendments prior to this one including a more restrictive so-called assault weapons ban ala Dianne Feinstein as well as a 10 round magazine limit amendment. The media is really reporting this information in a confusing if not deceitful way, making it sound like the Toomey/Manchen thing is the only issue on the table, which is incorrect. Toomey makes things sound like his amendment is pro-gun (it's not!) and is the entire bill, without talking about the other amendments which is basically a newer and more restrictive version of the 1994 ban.

If Toomey is serious about gun rights, he would be talking about real improvements like national reciprocity, repealing laws including FOPA of 1986, the gun free school zone act, and carry in post offices just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Collins and Snow are both RINOs. What I want to know is what is in the water in the NE that affects so many with liberalism?
    Lots if old houses up here with lead paint....causes libertardation I suspect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast