Dealing with the mental health issue with respect to firearms - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealing with the mental health issue with respect to firearms

How about if the counter where they sell guns is surrounded by sensors that detect the anklet and sound off an alarm tone and light.

A crazy person can buy a gun off the street just like any criminal. So why bother with some expensive equipment and law if it isn't going to work?

Quote Originally Posted by bswartz15 View Post
    Sorry, but my stance is that all gun control should be repealed. If someone has committed a crime and is too dangerous to be able to defend themselves, they should be dead or in jail.
    So a mentally ill person who is a danger to others should have unrestricted access to firearms? Sorry, but not even the founders would have agreed to that. They also believed that criminals should be restricted from firearm use without advocating that all criminals be confined for life. That means that some modicum of control was desired, just not on the law abiding and mentally healthy.
    A crazy person can buy a gun off the street just like any criminal. So why bother with some expensive equipment and law if it isn't going to work?
    Valid point. But some of them may not realize they're prohibited. Some convicted felons still try to buy guns from licensed dealers. They just don't get prosecuted for it like they should.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    So a mentally ill person who is a danger to others should have unrestricted access to firearms? Sorry, but not even the founders would have agreed to that. They also believed that criminals should be restricted from firearm use without advocating that all criminals be confined for life. That means that some modicum of control was desired, just not on the law abiding and mentally healthy.
    Valid point. But some of them may not realize they're prohibited. Some convicted felons still try to buy guns from licensed dealers. They just don't get prosecuted for it like they should.
    Those who are criminally mentally ill should be locked up. Criminals used to get handed back their guns when getting out of prison. Unless you have some original source data saying the founders were against people getting their guns back after they pay for their crimes, I will stick with my stance. Background checks didn't start until the 1990s, and guns used to be sold by the Sears catalog so why can't we just order a gun now. Gun control started when the slaves were freed, but the South still wanted to oppress them. That is why the NRA was founded. They fought for the rights of freed slaves to be able to own guns.

Those who are criminally mentally ill should be locked up.
    I didn't say criminally. There are mentally ill persons that present a potential danger to others but that don't otherwise warrant incarceration.
    Criminals used to get handed back their guns when getting out of prison. Unless you have some original source data saying the founders were against people getting their guns back after they pay for their crimes, I will stick with my stance.
    You mean like the quote in my signature? Samuel Adams is far from the only founder to use words like peaceable or law abiding when refererring to the right to bear arms. Not all criminals got their guns back, though admittedly it was a standard practice. However, at the time of the founders, guns were invariably long guns and they weren't a major implement of crime either. They were much more an implement of survival so giving them back made more sense in most instances than it would today. They still favored not giving back guns to many criminals that could be, and were likely to be, implements of crime.
    Background checks didn't start until the 1990s, and guns used to be sold by the Sears catalog so why can't we just order a gun now.
    Background checks were in use prior to the 90s. They just didn't have the NICS system until then.
    Gun control started when the slaves were freed, but the South still wanted to oppress them. That is why the NRA was founded. They fought for the rights of freed slaves to be able to own guns.
    The NRA was formed in New York to promote marksmanship after the civil war, and they stuck only to that for the remainder of the 19th century. They had little or nothing to do with the rights of former slaves. They did start mailing out political information to the membership in the early 1900s but they didn't actively lobby until the 70s when the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA) was formed.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Well, I think all of you are insane.

Put me in charge of who has rights and who doesn't, or maybe someone else, someone not a benevolent as myself.

Meds? Fools.

Quote Originally Posted by combustioneer View Post
    One other condition that could be added as a safety and a political chip would be an ankle bracelet or tag that would set off alarms if a top plus patient entered a gun store or a section of a sporting goods store where guns are sold. This would be a direct intervention aspect that could help sell tge bill to the antigun politicians.
    That would give them another gripe, mandatory changes to citizens businesses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12