Decorated Vet Arrested After ‘Rudely Displaying’ His Rifle — and Says Officer

Thread: Decorated Vet Arrested After ‘Rudely Displaying’ His Rifle — and Says Officer

Decorated Vet Arrested After ‘Rudely Displaying’ His Rifle — and Says Officer Pulled Gun on Him in Front of His Son
    By: Erica Ritz
    Army Master Sgt. C.J. Grisham was on a ten-mile Boy Scout hike with his son in Texas when he was arrested and accused of “rudely displaying” his firearm. Knowing there are wild boars, coyotes, and cougars in the area, he had an AR-15 rifle slung over his shoulder and was also carrying a .45 caliber pistol, according to Fox News’ Todd Starnes.
    A “huge Constitutionalist” and prominent military blogger, Grisham has served tours in Iraq and Afghanistan throughout his 18 years in the military. He was awarded the Bronze Star with Valor for his service.
    But on the day he was arrested in mid-March, Grisham says he was treated like a “street thug.”
    He described how it all happened:
    At about the 5 mile mark of our hike, a voice behind us asked us to stop and the officer motioned for us to approach him. He got out of his car and met us a few feet later. He asked us what we were doing and I explained that we were hiking for my son’s merit badge. He then asked me what I’m doing with the rifle, to which I responded in a calm manner, “Does it matter, officer? Am I breaking the law?”
    At that point, the officer grabbed my rifle without warning or indication. He didn’t ask for my rifle and he didn’t suggest he would take it from me. He simply grabbed it. This startled me and I instantly pulled back – the rifle was attached to me – and I asked what he thought he was doing because he’s not taking my rifle. He then pulled his service pistol on me and told me to take my hands off the weapon and move to his car, which I complied with. He then slammed me into the hood of his car and I remembered I had a camera on me (one of the requirements of the hiking merit badge is to document your hikes)…Up to this point, I am not told why I am being stopped, why he tried to disarm me, or even that I’m under arrest.
    The arresting officer is Officer Steve Ermis and the supervisor is Sergeant Minnicks of the Temple Police Department.
    Grisham’s 15-year-old son recorded the entire incident, and the video is posted on YouTube.
    In it, you can see a handcuffed Grisham repeatedly asking what he is being detained for. TheBlaze spoke with attorney Michele Byington of Texas Law Shield who confirmed that, while Texas does have open carry laws, they don’t apply to “long guns,” like Grisham’s AR-15. He would only be in trouble if he had been carrying the rifle in a way “calculated to cause alarm,” like waving it in the air — not strapped to his chest and pointed towards the ground.
    “In this day and age people are alarmed when they see someone with what you have [a rifle],” one of the officers explains, noting that someone had called the police. “They don’t care what the law is.”
    “Do you care what the law is?” Grisham shoots back.
    The veteran continues to elicit clarification as his hands are handcuffed behind his back, asking why the officers didn’t ask him to drop the weapon instead of resorting to such drastic action.
    “I will not be in the habit of doing that for anybody with a firearm, because it’s dangerous,” one of the officers replies.
    “So just because a guy’s got a firearm he’s dangerous?” Grisham responds.
    “Yes sir,” the officer says.
    The video has even more stunning dialogue, but Grisham says he is the most upset about how his son was treated, and how the incident will shape his view of the police.
    “What a bad excuse you guys are showing for [the] police force,” Grisham says at one point.
    “Actually, it’s a bad excuse as a dad,” one of the officers replies.
    Todd Starnes has more:
    As the officers put Grisham in the back of the car, the video picked up sounds of [Grisham's son] Chris crying.
    The officers told Grisham they would take the boy home.
    “I told him not to answer any questions,” Grisham said. “I told him not to answer a single question until his mother was there — and she would answer the questions for him.”
    But that’s not what happened.
    Chris told Fox News that the police officer refused to let him out of the car until he answered a series of questions. The boy had not been arrested.
    “The officer told me that I wasn’t getting out of the patrol car until I answered his questions,” Chris said. “He said I didn’t have a choice. I was scared.”
    Grisham said his boy was traumatized by the incident.
    “Every time he sees a police officer he has a panic attack,” he said. “That’s unfortunate because we always taught our kids to respect police officers. My wife and I are angry about it.” [Emphasis added]
    Chris told Fox News that he wants to be like his dad when he grows up. “He inspires me,” he said, adding that his father “didn’t do anything wrong at all.”
    At this point, roughly a month later, Grisham says is still “100 percent confused” about why he was arrested. His charges were downgraded from resisting arrest to interfering with a peace officer while performing a duty, but he still thinks the situation is absurd and inexcusable.
    “For me, it’s a difficult turning point,” the decorated veteran said. “I wonder what it is that I’m fighting for. If our basic rights are being violated this way — what is my purpose?”
    TheBlaze has reached out to the Temple Police Department, but did not receive an immediate response.
    The entire, unedited video from the scene is worth watching:
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

While I do believe this guy has a case... c'mon, he was acting a little over the top. Me thinks the camera wasn't only for the hike. It's been proven time and time again that some LE don't know the laws and details thereof (not that I'm okay with that). But acting like a gun-nut doesn't do anything to improve the situation. Kind of like Alex Jones' interview with Piers. I don't think anyone would disagree with me when I say that particular encounter didn't help our side very much.
    'I God, Woodrow, it's been quite a party, ain't it?

We all should call the Temple PD, the Mayor, their congressman and demand that these communist cops get educated in the law and punishment to go along with it. Cops tend to make up charges when they think they have been outdone by a "common man" They can't stand when one of us regular people know the law better than them.

5. Would like to know what happened to this situation in the end. This guy was just a wee bit over the top. Had he co-operated he likely would have been on his way in 5 minutes with no dents. Personally? I say nothing, volunteer nothing, do not consent to searches without warrant or just cause, etc. But I remain polite and co-operative. We all have a job to do.

2Awarrior Guest
    Something I found on Grisham on a different site-

(Quoting)
    Michael Yon, famous former Special Services soldier, combat photographer, and author posted this about Grisham on Facebook yesterday. There always is another side of the story:
    Scamming Soldier Video (CJ Grisham)

This guy has years of history acting like this. Today he is pushing this as 2nd Amendment issue. This guy would be anti-2nd Amendment if it got more traction.

Here he uses his 15-year-old son as a cameraman. At the end his son can be heard crying.

Notice that Grisham wears his Army rank on his hat, and tosses in that he is an Iraq and Afghanistan “war veteran.”

What he does not say is that he is a confirmed case of Stolen Valor (some people call it exaggerated valor). He did get an administrative bronze star in Iraq, but then lied (and Army Times, to their embarrassment, printed it) that he got it for taking out an entire Iraqi squad with a grenade and 9mm. This is BS and has been proven.

He also does not say that he is NOT an Afghanistan “war veteran” in the sense that people expect when they hear “war veteran.”

He never left Kandahar Kandahar Airfield. He saw zero combat. He spent his Afghanistan time blogging, and often complaining about his fragile mental state, and that his hand was trembling and that he was afraid of the rocket strikes. At one point, he published that a female major ordered him to continue working and not to hide out in the bunker. The man is a coward.

The Army sent him home about halfway through his Afghanistan tour, yet these days he says he completed his tour.

The whining in his voice is like a icepick in the ears. What kind of man acts like this in front of his 15-year-old son?

The guy is an active duty soldier at Fort Hood. This is why faith in the US Army is plummeting. His command should be gutted for putting up with these years of constant disgrace from this guy.

If you thought this guy would be in charge of your son or daughter, would you encourage him or her to join the Army?

(End quote)

2Awarrior Guest
    Grisham reminds me of Lynn Thompson, the founder of Cold Steel. Nuff said.