Concealed Carry Act of 2013 introduced - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Act of 2013 introduced

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by sportclimber View Post
    I 100% agree. My state of Utah dose not have gun proficiency at the range, I think every body should do range time. Thanks for the post.
    Do you have a carry permit? Did you get yourself proficient before getting the permit? If the answer to those questions is "yes," then obviously you didn't need government to mandate that you spend money and time qualifying for a certificate that only takes 8 - 12 hours (at the most that I'm aware of) worth of very cursory "training" did you?

I have to ask as well, if you don't have the mandate you wish Utah did have, why do you wish the state mandated training? Are there a lot of accidental shootings or uses of force that are deemed illegal after the fact? Unless there's some statistics that tend to demonstrate a need for making it harder to exercise your rights, what other possible reason could there be to wish for it?

There are zero training requirements here in Alabama, yet I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 times as many hours of professional and private academy training as is required in TN just 40 miles up the road from where I'm sitting right now. Our states have a full reciprocity agreement. Should I be scared of all the CC'ers who were only required to have 8 total hours classroom/range training when I go up there, or should they be scared of me when I'm there because Alabama requires no training? Do you see how absurd the notion is that either of us should wish for the other to be more restrictive than our respective states have chosen for its citizens?

I vote for learning from each other and leaving government out of the equation. If it were up to me (and many others on this site as well), we would not have to have a permission slip at all to carry. If I see someone at the range that needs some gentle nudging towards safer handling, I help 'em out. If they're not receptive to well-trained free advice, why would they be any more receptive to government-mandated paid guidance?

"Shall not be infringed" means exactly what it says to many of us. What does it mean to you?

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

I believe if anyone wants to get a permit, they have to get my approval first. How's that sounds all you "required training" people? When your done wiping your butt with the Constitution, please wash it off and put it back in its case.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

I 100% agree. My state of Utah dose not have gun proficiency at the range, I think every body should do range time.
    To buy a gun? Please tell us what other of your God given rights you'd like the government to attach conditions to. Should you have to have training before you're allowed to practice free speech? Maybe we should attach a minimum or maximum number to the number of people needed to exercise the right to freely assemble? Maybe you'd like to restrict the right to a speedy trial to only certain types of crime? Oh heck, why don't we just get rid of them altogether since you seem to think them so negotiable anyway? Rights don't come with arbitrary conditions. You and docmath are confusing them with privileges. There are plenty of other countries that treat as privileges what we view as rights in this country. Feel free to try any of them on for size if you don't like your rights here. Just remember one thing. Privileges exist at the whim and tolerance of the government, and can be restricted or taken away at any time, with or without cause. Rights exist by the will of God and the will of the people. They aren't granted by the government and the government doesn't have the authority to restrict or remove them at will. They aren't supposed to anyway. If you're so anxious to live in a place where gun ownership is contingent upon conditions set by the government, may I suggest England or Australia? Oops! Too late! Their subjects already learned the hard way what happens when you give the government the right to establish conditions for gun ownership.

EDIT: Corrected spelling.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Please don't take this wrong but I think that everyone should have to take a gun course before they are allowed to own a gun. It should be mandatory that all students take this course and also take a mandatory class in civics that is taught as the Constitution intended. After completing that class, there should be a class in high school that teaches gun laws and also is a mandatory class before the student graduates. After that, no restrictions on owning and carrying. Liberals need not apply for those teaching positions as they are anti-Constitutionalists. Those already out of high school would have to be exempt from the classes on owning guns as unlike NY which thinks it can legally pass ex post facto laws, you can't. By training kids at a younger age in gun safety, it might turn some who would be anti-gun to pro-gun later in life.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by docmath View Post
    I agree! In my humble opinion, reciprocity should be an automatic, nationwide. We should not have to look at a map, and read through a bunch of documentation about how I have to carry. My qualifying class for my chl was 12 hours long, including range time. I do believe that every single person that wants to buy a gun, not just concealed carry should be REQUIRED to take a similar class that teaches safety and law before they are able to even make a gun purchase. I realize that this in a way, kind of removes some 2nd amendment rights, but, the most dangerous person with a gun is not just criminals, it's also people with a lack of knowledge. It's a real pain to have to do the above, but I think this could solve many of our concealed carry issues.
    Except that requiring training by a professional is similar to a poll tax in that people of low income, who can't afford the training, are denied their uninfringed right. It makes the Second a classist privilege.
    ...SCOTUS says we're right...You don't like it. I'm sorry you don't like it. I guess that's a problem for you. Some people don't like gays. Some don't like alcohol. Some don't like meat. ~michaelzwilliamson

Some states you don't even to demonstrate you can safely handle a handgun, and minimal shooting proficiency, to obtain a CCW, and yet be permitted to carry a handgun, possibly having never fired a pistol in your life. Anyone see a problem with that? I do.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Please don't take this wrong but I think that everyone should have to take a gun course before they are allowed to own a gun. It should be mandatory that all students take this course and also take a mandatory class in civics that is taught as the Constitution intended.
    I think everybody should have to take those courses too, but not in order to exercise a constitutional right. A right with conditions before you can exercise it isn't a right.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Some states you don't even to demonstrate you can safely handle a handgun, and minimal shooting proficiency, to obtain a CCW, and yet be permitted to carry a handgun, possibly having never fired a pistol in your life. Anyone see a problem with that? I do.
    You don't do that for a hunting license. Do you have a problem with that too?
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

I 100% agree. My state of Utah dose not have gun proficiency at the range, I think every body should do range time. Thanks for the post.
    Another newbie jumping in with both feet...
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    I do not see a problem with that. What problem are you talking about?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Please don't take this wrong but I think that everyone should have to take a gun course before they are allowed to own a gun. It should be mandatory that all students take this course and also take a mandatory class in civics that is taught as the Constitution intended. After completing that class, there should be a class in high school that teaches gun laws and also is a mandatory class before the student graduates. After that, no restrictions on owning and carrying. Liberals need not apply for those teaching positions as they are anti-Constitutionalists. Those already out of high school would have to be exempt from the classes on owning guns as unlike NY which thinks it can legally pass ex post facto laws, you can't. By training kids at a younger age in gun safety, it might turn some who would be anti-gun to pro-gun later in life.
    Respectfully, I disagree - and hold up as evidence the millions of gun owners who have purchased guns without any (officially recognized) training, and have still managed to keep from shooting anybody accidentally. I would bet that most gun owners get some sort of training after the get their gun because they realize that more knowledge means more enjoyment/satisfaction, however much of this training would probably not be recognized by the officials.
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast