Concealed Carry Act of 2013 introduced - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 96

Thread: Concealed Carry Act of 2013 introduced

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by docmath View Post
    I agree! In my humble opinion, reciprocity should be an automatic, nationwide. We should not have to look at a map, and read through a bunch of documentation about how I have to carry. My qualifying class for my chl was 12 hours long, including range time. I do believe that every single person that wants to buy a gun, not just concealed carry should be REQUIRED to take a similar class that teaches safety and law before they are able to even make a gun purchase. I realize that this in a way, kind of removes some 2nd amendment rights, but, the most dangerous person with a gun is not just criminals, it's also people with a lack of knowledge. It's a real pain to have to do the above, but I think this could solve many of our concealed carry issues.
    Bummer. You only get one chance to make a first impression, and you're stuck with that one now.

    Otherwise, welcome.....kinda.

    Blues
    Holy crap. Something I agree with Blues about.

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by docmath View Post
    I agree! In my humble opinion, reciprocity should be an automatic, nationwide. We should not have to look at a map, and read through a bunch of documentation about how I have to carry. My qualifying class for my chl was 12 hours long, including range time. I do believe that every single person that wants to buy a gun, not just concealed carry should be REQUIRED to take a similar class that teaches safety and law before they are able to even make a gun purchase. I realize that this in a way, kind of removes some 2nd amendment rights, but, the most dangerous person with a gun is not just criminals, it's also people with a lack of knowledge. It's a real pain to have to do the above, but I think this could solve many of our concealed carry issues.
    You obviously don't recognize a right to keep and bear arms since you support a government requirement to exercise it via a permit (how is something a right when you have to obtain permission for it)

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    An Alternate Reality, I Assure You...
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Holy crap. Something I agree with Blues about.
    Ah, give it time jcreek... Blues isn't a bad guy. He and I have disagreed on some things, so what. You can learn a lot from some people here, Blues is one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by sportclimber View Post
    I 100% agree. My state of Utah dose not have gun proficiency at the range, I think every body should do range time. Thanks for the post.
    My state doesn't require range time and we have had 2 CC shootings, both good, neither endangered any bystanders. It's ignorant to assume that people are so stupid that they will get a CCL and not use the range. Minnesota requires range time and I have yet to hear of a bad shooting by a liscensed carrier.

    What am I saying? Law abiding citizens who carry for protection are not so stupid as to carry a gun they don't know how to use. Will a select few do just that? Maybe, but you can't condemn all of society based on an ubsustantiated fear. If they required a universal proficiency level, 100% wouldn't be good enough. You'd be regulated out of a right.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Holy crap. Something I agree with Blues about.
    Don't worry, he will think of a way to get under your skin again. Probably dissecting one of your posts at this very moment...

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    Ah, give it time jcreek... Blues isn't a bad guy. He and I have disagreed on some things, so what. You can learn a lot from some people here, Blues is one of them.
    Absolutely. Blues and I may have disagreed on a few things, and vehemently on a couple of occasions, but I don't let that blind me to the fact that he normally posts great stuff. He's one of the best posters on this forum as far as I'm concerned. You shouldn't let disagreement prematurely taint you on discussion forums, particularly on those devoted to contentious topics. Disagreements are expected on discussion forums. That shouldn't be automatic cause for animosity.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    There were no hunting proficiency requirements when I got my first gun (22) at 6, still have it, proficiency was taught by dad, who would have beat my butt if I were unsafe with the weapon. While it was good that I had a dad who hunted and fished with me, not everyone does today, safety is good, teaching it is good but it should not be mandatory, let the herd thin itself.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,418
    Quote Originally Posted by K7lvo View Post
    Respectfully, I disagree - and hold up as evidence the millions of gun owners who have purchased guns without any (officially recognized) training, and have still managed to keep from shooting anybody accidentally. I would bet that most gun owners get some sort of training after the get their gun because they realize that more knowledge means more enjoyment/satisfaction, however much of this training would probably not be recognized by the officials.
    This is absolutely true. We have been casually looking for acreage with a livable house on it at a price we could afford for about three years now. I know, most people would realize such an abode doesn't exist after that much time, but it gets us out of the house and hiking in the woods every now and again, so we keep looking. Anyway, my wife has joined me in every academy course I've taken. Between us, we've got close to 200 hours just in shooting academy training. We've taken pistol refresher courses on top of that at the same academy. Some of the properties we've considered buying are in Tennessee. When we looked into it, none of our training or our history of 20+ years with Alabama pistol permits would count for anything if we moved to TN. It would cost us around $350 (minimum) each to get permission-slipped up there, and a big part of that would be having to attend 8 hours of paid training that either of us would be more qualified to teach than most of the instructors we interviewed in researching the issue. On top of the expense, it would take several weeks to even get the permission slips, during which time, we would be mandated by TN state government to be defenseless while outside our property. Screw dat.

    Alabama has some screwy laws concerning guns too that I'd love to change, but adding another layer of government just to exercise our God-given rights ain't one of 'em. Permits are issued on the spot with only a NICS check (or possibly a state wants/warrants check, not sure which) conducted while you stand at the window and wait. It's never taken me more than five minutes to complete the process, and never cost me more than $15 bucks. Not only for that reason, but partially because of that, we'll be staying in AL probably until the day(s) we die.

    I really think that folks like the couple we're replying to here have just been conditioned to believe the anti-liberty tripe that government shoves down our throats from an early age. I kind of pity them. They're accepting and willingly wearing chains that they can't even see or perceive the weight of. I hope this thread helps them break free of those chains. Time will tell.

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,348
    It seems this amendment got voted down yesterday in addition to the expanded background checks amendment.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    403
    Blog Entries
    4
    I haven't made up my mind whether I want to get a CCL or not.... I am not ready for the bias I will receive if and when i get pulled over- a cop can either like the fact that I CC or not- either way- its bias. Not sure how i feel about the "announcement" to law enforcement, that i am concealing in addition to being on paper. I live in MO and the FL CC classes are very popular here- yet I keep hearing about someone getting pulled over during routine traffic stops- (after submitting their paperwork to get an out of state CC)- and receiving very notably suspicious/paranoid reactions from LEO, including a request to search vehicle in one instance. Yep- mostly a bouquet of subjective remarks in that last phrase- so no solid proof.

    Educating and training yourself- prior to owning a gun- is your own responsibility bc the consequences of negligence will fall on you. Suggesting mandated prerequisites- esp. in areas regarding our constitutional rights- is like a small blackhole- that eventually eats away all our rights, in this case- starting w the 2A

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast