Universal background checks fails - GC bill to be shelved for the rest of the year!!!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal background checks fails - GC bill to be shelved for the rest of the year!!!

ezkl2230 Guest

Universal background checks fails - GC bill to be shelved for the rest of the year!!!

"After much lobbying and fan fare, the Toomey-Manchin expanded background check amendment has failed. The amendment needed 60 votes to pass, but fell short with only 54 votes.

Yesterday, former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords (along with Mark Kelly) was on the Hill "whipping" up support for the amendment. A late compromise to the bill by Toomey and Manchin exempting people who live in rural areas did little convince those Senators on the fence.

Although polls show support for background checks, there was growing concern that the Toomey-Manchin bill would lead to a national gun registry. "

DONE: Toomey-Manchin Background Check Fails to Garner 60 Votes

Biden expected victory earlier today, saying he only needed 2 votes to make it happen. Instead, it failed by 4 votes. Close, but then a miss is as good as a mile! The entire gun control bill is expected to be shelved for the rest of the year.

A bipartisan proposal to expand background checks to gun shows and Internet sales fails in the Senate in a 54-46 vote, in major setback for gun control push.

Now if we can just get the mentally ill from shooting people we will be OK!
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    "Close, but then a miss is as good as a mile!
    Not really. That's way too close for comfort. It'll be back next year in one form or another, if not before. And next time he MIGHT have the votes.

5. You will probably see it slapped on as a rider on some "important" other piece of legislation.

This is a setback, now criminals can continue buying guns at gun shows. They make all the wrong moves in Congress.
    Expanded background checks was needed for better gun control and they failed to pass it. Well you know they are not gonna ban assault rifles if the background check failed. I don't see them passing anything for mag limitations either.
    Except for NY that is.

Obama is about to go into the Rose Garden to deliver his brow beating.
    ...SCOTUS says we're right...You don't like it. I'm sorry you don't like it. I guess that's a problem for you. Some people don't like gays. Some don't like alcohol. Some don't like meat. ~michaelzwilliamson

Criminals steal guns, they don't buy them!!!

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    This is a setback, now criminals can continue buying guns at gun shows. They make all the wrong moves in Congress.
    Expanded background checks was needed for better gun control and they failed to pass it. Well you know they are not gonna ban assault rifles if the background check failed. I don't see them passing anything for mag limitations either.
    Except for NY that is.
    OK -- maybe I'm just not that good recognizing sarcasm sometimes when I see it. Is this sarcasm, or is this what you really believe?

Thumbs up

Another version of the same story:

Senate rejects expanded gun background checks - CNN.com

Yay! ... for now.
    Dave

NRA Lifetime Member - NES Member - NFGA Member - SWCA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast