Student suspended & even arrested over his... Pro-NRA t-shirt ? WTF?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Student suspended & even arrested over his... Pro-NRA t-shirt ? WTF??

Hope the teacher or school district get hit hard here. 1st Amendment violations, if Westboro can get away with the hideous signs they tote around, and be told its their 1st Amendment right, he should be able to wear his damn shirt! Liberals are getting out of control.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    This is kinda blown out of proportion, in assuming on purpose. Schools have been banning this stuff for decades. We couldn't even wear shirts with beer logos on to our school without being told to cover them up.
    Like I said, I don't agree with it at all but it's been happening forever.
    Not a big deal, but I'm just curious how many decades you have personal experience to draw from on this topic? While there were some minor dress codes when I was in high school 40+ years ago, none of the restrictions were based on the politically correct memes today's are. There was everything from anti-(Vietnam)-war slogans calling out either Johnson or Nixon, lots of stuff about Reagan (from his time as CA Governor), "Make Love, Not War" slogans, there was T-shirt art that was clearly psychedelic drug oriented (lots of "magic" mushrooms), and I even had a T-shirt that had a picture of Ken Kesey in the foreground with the "Further" bus in the background, and with the caption, "Can You Pass The Owsley Test?" on it. I've still got a T-shirt from the Watkins Glen concert that wouldn't be worth 1/10th of that Kesey/Owsley shirt would be, but I wore the hell out of it and it's been gone for, well, decades now! LOL If you don't get that reference or recognize Kesey's or Owsley's names, chances are your decades don't go nearly as far back as mine do. And if you do go back that far and claim to remember much of it, you weren't really there! LOL Sorry, inside 60's/70's joke I guess. We did manage to have too much fun way too often.

Blues

I never claimed to have decades of personal experience nor did I say all schools were doing it. But ever since I started school in the early 90s the schools I attended were disallowing t-shirts that had anything they deemed "disruptive" on them. I completely believe you that the standards were more lax in 70s. And on your other point...just because I didn't live through the 70s doesn't mean I didn't have fun lol. Everything you could get back then and much more is available today. The stuff out there today makes "magic" mushrooms not seem so magic.

Progressives are strict believers in free speech and the rights of students. Of course it must not disagree with the progressive agenda.

ezkl2230 Guest
    According to another account, the school guidelines do not address t-shirts of the kind he was wearing.

The T-shirt did not clearly violate the Logan County School Districtís dress code, which prohibits clothing that displays profanity, violence, discriminatory messages or sexually suggestive phrases. The policy doesnít state anything about images of guns or gun organization logos. In fact, in the schoolís own parking lot stands a statue of a soldier carrying a gun and a grenade. Teen Boy Suspended for Wearing NRA T-shirt Returns to School Wearing the Same Shirt (VIDEO) - Guns.com
    Additionally, the so-called "near-riot" didn't occur until a teacher with no sense began yelling at the student when he refused to either take off or turn the shirt inside out instead of bringing him to the principle's office where he could be dealt with quietly. The teacher had an agenda, and was angry because the student refused to accommodate that agenda.

If anyone is to blame for causing a "near-riot," it is the teacher - not the student. Before the teacher began shouting, the students were going about their business.

White said that Marcum had been wearing the shirt without causing any problems from homeroom at the beginning of the school day through fifth period, and was confronted by one of the school's teachers while getting his lunch. When Jared refused to remove or reverse the shirt, the teacher began to raise his voice, and it caught the attention of students eating their lunch, White said.

Marcum was eventually arrested and taken away by police after refusing to remove the shirt. White said that when police told the teen they were going to arrest him, he stuck his hands out and said, "Fine."
    So the teacher makes the scene, and the young man is accused of nearly inciting a riot. THAT makes sense.

Maybe it is being blown out of proportion. But its not being blown out of proportion by rational thinking people. Do they blow out of proportion things like kindergartners making finger guns in the school yard, or how about the boy that got suspended for taking a couple of bites out of a pop tart making it look like a gun. Please... a pop tart gun??? Holy cow, what nonsense. Our country has become so open minded our brains have fallen out. The day I say it is wrong for this boy to wear an NRA shirt displaying a hunting rifle (which if I am not mistaken, is not the issue at hand among the gun grabbers) will be the day that all this goth garbage with the skulls, skeletons, and other images portraying death are baned too. But I don't see that happening either. So until that day comes, keep wearing the shirt, son.

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Hope the teacher or school district get hit hard here. 1st Amendment violations, if Westboro can get away with the hideous signs they tote around, and be told its their 1st Amendment right, he should be able to wear his damn shirt! Liberals are getting out of control.
    GETTING out of control? We're WAY past that point...

Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    GETTING out of control? We're WAY past that point...
    You beat me to it.
    "Beware the fury of a patient man." --John Dryden,
    British poet, critic and playwright

Banning our Flag.

Quote Originally Posted by buckey01 View Post
    Progressives are strict believers in free speech and the rights of students. Of course it must not disagree with the progressive agenda.
    Students Removed From Campus for Wearing American Flag Tee Shirts | brokencountry.com
    On May 5th, 2010 (Cinco De Mayo) four students in a high school in San Fransico, Kalifornia were removed from school for wearing t-shirts and bandanas with the American flag displayed under the premise that their wearing them were offensive the students celebrating Cinco De Mayo at school.
    I believe this alone tells anyone/everyone that we as Americans are becoming the minority in our own country. Expecially when displaying the American flag is offensive to anyone in the United States of American at any time, during any celebration or during any public event.
    When any displaying of the American flag is considered offensive we in America have a problem that will not get better with our current mindset of going along to get along.

Quote from referenced article;

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

“I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day,” Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. “We don’t deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn’t do that on Fourth of July.”

Annicia doesn't get it, really. We wouldn't be making a fuse if a few of their students chose to were the mexican flag on the 4th of July. Because those are the freedoms that we fought so hard to secure and keep alive, that freedom to express ones self publicly without fear of reprisal from anyone.
    This young man in WV knows what it means and is willing to stand tall in the face of reprisal, Kudos.
    Last edited by dogshawred; 04-25-2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: d
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Student suspended & even arrested over his... Pro-NRA t-shirt ? WTF??

That's nothing. Check this horsesh-t out. Liberals will do anything to tear apart the foundation of our country.

http://www.guns.com/2013/04/24/student-suspended-for-support-the-troops-t-shirt/

What an F'in shame.

Blog Entries
    This is kinda blown out of proportion, in assuming on purpose. Schools have been banning this stuff for decades. We couldn't even wear shirts with beer logos on to our school without being told to cover them up. I don't agree with the policy at all but I'm sure the kid and family knew it would happen and did it on purpose.
    When i saw the interview- two thoughts came up to mind- was it because of the picture of the AR rifle on his shirt - and not what the shirt said- that the school had a problem with- i read ezkl's post- regarding the gun image not being in dress code- but from what i know- schools have always had an issue with the likes of anything gun in schools. Secondly- if i was that boy's mother- i would've given him a haircut ;)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast