2nd Amendment food for thought - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Amendment food for thought

1. Loaded weapons in home

I was an LEO, and my weapons are always loaded. Unloaded weapons kill people. I taught my kids to fire all my weapons, and they knew what the guns were capable of. Nothing drives that home better than a hollow point hitting a canteloupe. Being able to protect oneself at home is just as important, if not more so, than out on the street. My weapons are not easily accessible to other people, but my wife and I know where every one is and how to bring it into action in seconds. I also have two loud-mouthed chihuahuas that are the best burglar alarm in the world. We are empty nesters, but by the time our granddaughter gets to the age where she could even conceivably pick up a gun, she will be taught as I taught all my other kids. A mouse??? Give me a break, please. Even our chihuahuas could not cause one of our weapons to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    I was an LEO, and my weapons are always loaded. Unloaded weapons kill people. I taught my kids to fire all my weapons, and they knew what the guns were capable of. Nothing drives that home better than a hollow point hitting a canteloupe. Being able to protect oneself at home is just as important, if not more so, than out on the street. My weapons are not easily accessible to other people, but my wife and I know where every one is and how to bring it into action in seconds. I also have two loud-mouthed chihuahuas that are the best burglar alarm in the world. We are empty nesters, but by the time our granddaughter gets to the age where she could even conceivably pick up a gun, she will be taught as I taught all my other kids. A mouse??? Give me a break, please. Even our chihuahuas could not cause one of our weapons to fire.
    Why do a lot of people on here believe that a weapon without a round chambered is useless? It's not, damnit! This statement seems to suggest that chambering a round cannot be quickly done; it can be.

frank.macher Guest
    It isn't that we think it's useless, but when microseconds can and often do count it is better to be ready to go than to have to rack the slide. It doesn't matter how good a shot you are if the BG gets to pump lead at you while you have to ready your pistol to return fire. Far better to be able to be ready to fire and surprise the BG and make them react than to have to react on your own.

It's nothing personal against your position, it's something I've had ingrained in me from the Military and the Sheriff department. Even my NRA instructors. If you look at the trends in shootings, many of the best trained people miss a man sized target from across a hood due to the tunnel vision, adrenaline pump, etc. Having to rack a round is just one more thing that adds to the time necessary to potentially defend one's life.

Personally, if you prefer to store yours that way, it doesn't bother me, in my case, I prefer to be able to concentrate on target acquisition and stopping the attack in as short a time as possible.

Does anyone worry about anything (a pet, a child, or something falling down) that they had not considered pressing the trigger on a loaded firearm and discharging it? I do, and that's why I don't keep a round chambered in them at home. Only when I'm carrying is there a round chambered, because as long as the weapon is holstered, nothing is going to touch that trigger. Call me paranoid, but to me, that seems the only "safe" way (unless of course it's in a safe or vault, but then you sacrifice accessibility) to store a gun in the home.

Exclamation DC again

It seems to me that it is your own personal preference as to how you keep your weapon. I prefer to keep mine in condition 1. As for some of the others who prefer to keep thiers locked up in some kind of safe, set up a test and see how long it takes you access it. You can think your a light sleeper all you want, it's the one time your dog tired, half drunk, ill, or whatever that you will come to regret. If you lived in a high crime area you would know this. I came back from Iraq and would wake up at night and recon my own yard out of fear and paranoia at every little sound. Now I sleep like a log and am taking no chances.

Two of my daughters (9 & 7) have qualified with Eddie Eagle and taken the CCP course in Virigina and PASSED. I take them to the range on a regular basis so I don't worry about having a loaded weapon in my home. If you teach them and take the mystery out of what weapons are and what they can do you wouldn't worry about them "Showing off" for thier friends or whatever else bothers you. My 4 kids don't even mention to thier friends that we have weapons. Thier reason... It's none of thier friends business. Teaching and mentoring go along way with kids.

Some of you seem to take the same stance as the District of Columbia gun grabbers and I have no idea why you are hear unless it's to make the fence riders fall to the anti's propaganda.

As far as a pet or animal making a weapon discharge.. If you have a hair trigger you get what you pay for. I even asked my father (He's 74 and I grew up in rural Oklahoma) if he ever had this happen and he laughed and asked if I had been drinking. All the 15+ dogs and cats and anything else you can name in the house and not one ever caused an inadvertant weapon discharge.
    Jim
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."
    Yoshimi Ishikawa

7. Quote Originally Posted by SubHntr View Post
    It seems to me that it is your own personal preference as to how you keep your weapon. I prefer to keep mine in condition 1. As for some of the others who prefer to keep thiers locked up in some kind of safe, set up a test and see how long it takes you access it. You can think your a light sleeper all you want, it's the one time your dog tired, half drunk, ill, or whatever that you will come to regret. If you lived in a high crime area you would know this. I came back from Iraq and would wake up at night and recon my own yard out of fear and paranoia at every little sound. Now I sleep like a log and am taking no chances.

Two of my daughters (9 & 7) have qualified with Eddie Eagle and taken the CCP course in Virigina and PASSED. I take them to the range on a regular basis so I don't worry about having a loaded weapon in my home. If you teach them and take the mystery out of what weapons are and what they can do you wouldn't worry about them "Showing off" for thier friends or whatever else bothers you. My 4 kids don't even mention to thier friends that we have weapons. Thier reason... It's none of thier friends business. Teaching and mentoring go along way with kids.

Some of you seem to take the same stance as the District of Columbia gun grabbers and I have no idea why you are hear unless it's to make the fence riders fall to the anti's propaganda.

As far as a pet or animal making a weapon discharge.. If you have a hair trigger you get what you pay for. I even asked my father (He's 74 and I grew up in rural Oklahoma) if he ever had this happen and he laughed and asked if I had been drinking. All the 15+ dogs and cats and anything else you can name in the house and not one ever caused an inadvertant weapon discharge.
    Time out! Just because we feel a loaded gun in the house is not for us does not mean we are the District of Columbia gun grabbers.. Being a little hard are you not?

A little hard on people?

No I don't think so. Especially when I stated it was a personal preference, but your post is very similar to the argument DC and chicago have been using.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc and his Glock View Post
    WOW loaded hand guns in the house around children... Just remember as an adult you are responsible for what happens regardless of what training the children have had. If the gun goes off and a child has it you go to jail if it is your gun.... As for me, better safe then sorry... I have a loaded hand gun in a hand gun safe with a quick combo in case I need it. Don't think a kid or his friends could get it.

OOPS time out BG, let me open my quick combo safe and get my weapon, you know, just to make it fair.

I apologize if this seems harsh, but keep up with the left leaning news outlets that have glorified gun grabbing and then listen to your own argument for this.
    Out of my whole diatribe all you seized in was the DC gun grabbing part??
    Jim
    Last edited by SubHntr; 08-29-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    Jim
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."
    Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by SubHntr View Post
    No I don't think so. Especially when I stated it was a personal preference, but your post is very similar to the argument DC and chicago have been using.

[/B]

OOPS time out BG, let me open my quick combo safe and get my weapon, you know, just to make it fair.

I apologize if this seems harsh, but keep up with the left leaning news outlets that have glorified gun grabbing and then listen to your own argument for this.
    Out of my whole diatribe all you seized in was the DC gun grabbing part??
    Jim

What is the most common excuse for negligent discharges? Isn't it, I did not know the weapon was loaded? In my opinion, not knowing that a weapon is loaded is no excuse to treat it is if it is not, and virtually all NDs are the result of carelessness. Well, the same goes for having pets in the home. How confident are all of you pet owners that your pets, while walking or running around, will not discharge your weapons? If they do, will your excuse be, "I did not know that my animals were capable of doing that." Better safe than sorry.

Also, don't even consider comparing me to those D.C. gun grabbers who require guns to be unloaded and disassembled. Not once have I ever advocated punishing people who keep their weapons loaded. And I certainly have not advocated requiring them to be disassembled. Only compare me to those hoplophobes if I actually want to take people's guns away. All I've done is explain why I believe that storing guns with a round in the chamber is not safe, that's all.

I suppose that if I were to keep my handgun in a holster at all times, even when it is not on my person, then it's okay to keep it loaded, except when my sister comes over with her two-year-old son (I absolutely hate kid-proofing my home). But what about long guns? I know of no holsters available for shotguns and rifles.
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 08-30-2008 at 01:43 AM.

Did not single anyone out

For child safety training I found this website useful: For Kids Only* Proper gun safety for children is so very important.
    Again as I stated it is a personal preference as to how a weapon is kept/stored.
    Please read Title 11, Division 5, Chapter 6 Department of Justice Regulations for Certified Firearms Safety Device Laboratories, Firearms Safety Device Standards and Testing, and Standards for Gun Safes page 19 and you will find: para (d) In addition to the tests specified in subsection (c) of this section, the Certified FSD Laboratory shall perform the following tests on a model of each firearms safety device in which the firing chamber of the firearm is capable of accommodating a primed case with the firing chamber closed and the firearms safety device properly installed, that is submitted to the laboratory for testing pursuant to these regulations. This requirement does not apply to a firearms safety device that prevents access to the firearm by fully containing and enclosing the firearm (lock-box type devices):
    (1) (Utilize a new firearms safety device). The firearms safety device shall be activated in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions as specified in paragraphs (6), (9), and (10) of subsection (b) of this section. The firearm shall be placed in a drop fixture capable of dropping the firearm from a drop height of one meter + one centimeter (39.4 inches + 0.4 inches) onto a slab of concrete having minimum dimensions of 7.5 centimeters X 15 centimeters X 15 centimeters (3 inches X 6 inches X 6 inches). The drop distance shall be measured from the lowermost portion of the weapon to the top surface of the slab. The firearm shall be dropped from a fixture and not from the hand. An approved drop fixture is a short piece of string with the firearm attached at one end and the other end held in an air vise until the drop is initiated. The firearm shall be dropped in the following orientations:
    (A) Normal firing position with the barrel horizontal.
    (B) Upside down with the barrel horizontal.
    (C) If the firearm is a handgun, on the grip with the barrel vertical.
    (D) On the muzzle with the barrel vertical.
    (E) On either side with the barrel horizontal.
    (F) If there is an exposed hammer or striker, on the rearmost point of the device, otherwise on the
    rearmost point of the weapon.
    (2) At the conclusion of the drop test, the tester shall attempt to fire the firearm in an attempt to discharge the primed case. Failure occurs if the firearm can be operated manually, if a primed case is discharged during any of the drop tests, or if the firearms safety device is disabled following any of the orientation drop tests.

This is the testing process mandated by DOJ. If you have a weapon manufactured before 1986 then you may have to worry. Firearms manufacturers were already performing these tests prior to DOJ poking it's fingers in the pie. If you think your weapon is junk and/or that it falling over or being stepped on by one helluva mouse will cause an AD the you can look on the DOJ's approval list for firearms manufacturers, types and models to see what passed and when. If it's junk, i.e. Jennings JA-9, certain Jimenez Arms models, it will also be posted.
    Last edited by SubHntr; 08-31-2008 at 01:31 AM.
    Jim
    Yoshimi Ishikawa

11. I was shot by a dog. A dam dashund to boot.Ithica shotgun was leaning up right on wall of corn crib and dog knocked it over.It fired striking me .Ads are ADs no matter how caused.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast