Write the New Federal Firearm Law - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Write the New Federal Firearm Law

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    I read a lot of complaining about Federal and State Firearm Laws. I'm a believer that there must be some law governing the sale and use of firearms and I'm also OK with Background Checks because of the need to prohibit those who may suffer from mental illness and those who may have violent pasts.
    Most everyone here on the boards knows that no matter what is done criminals will always get their hands on guns.

So what would you do? The answer is right in front of us. Maybe we, the "Gun Community" can self govern our way to being heard if we are unified in what is needed, what is not, and what we believe is fair for all.

I am fine with a background check when I purchase a firearm from a dealer or vendor.
    Friend to friend sales are a different situation and should only require a bill of sale that includes who sold what to who and when and both party's signatures.
    Prohibited sales should remain as they currently are.
    One exception is we absolutely have to find a way to prohibit the mentally ill from purchasing, owning, or having access to any type of firearm.
    Medical professionals have to be the answer as I do not want the government to decide who is mentally ill, or the definition of mentally ill.

I do not believe there is ever a reason for your firearms to be registered.

Don't be lazy or shy, put into words your ideas. If we brainstorm long enough we may just come up with something.
    Do you need to pass a background check to exercise any other of your rights? The answer is no, and for good reasons. The 1st, 3rd through 10th amendments place restrictions on the government and it's ability to run roughshod over the citizens of the United States, The 2nd amendment makes sure the citizens of the United States are able to defend themselves from depredations by the government.
    You sound like a "bloomie infiltrator", but in case your not, I'll tell you that the less the government knows about you, the better off you are, because knowledge is power.
    Through the Patriot Act and NDAA's they have shredded the 4th Amendment, as long as "the people" put up with it, it will continue. If you want to keep the government from doing this kind of thing, you will need a way to enforce your will. If you want to say "NO" to the government, you will need Arms. Regular citizens should be allowed to have any arms that the government owns, except for NBC weapons. Convicted criminals and people adjudicated to be mentally deficient, and politicians alone, should be prohibited from owning weapons
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamity023 View Post
    Mandatory 50 year minimum for the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony... Other than that no restrictions on any firearm, magazine, method of carry, transport etc..

And a prohibition of anyone deemed mentally incompetent, or convicted of a felony, from owning a firearm. Repeat offenses get life.
    But who gets to decide who is mentally incompetent? Your definition of competency probably differs from mine, which differs from someone else's, which differs from someone else's, etc. All we really need to do is enforce the current laws.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by jameshd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamity023 View Post
    Mandatory 50 year minimum for the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony... Other than that no restrictions on any firearm, magazine, method of carry, transport etc..

And a prohibition of anyone deemed mentally incompetent, or convicted of a felony, from owning a firearm. Repeat offenses get life.
    But who gets to decide who is mentally incompetent? Your definition of competency probably differs from mine, which differs from someone else's, which differs from someone else's, etc. All we really need to do is enforce the current laws.
    I live in the communist CT the laws need a repeal here. Mentally incompetent would qualify if you've ever been admitted into a facility as you were a danger to yourself and others, or have been diagnosed with a recognized psychological ailment such as schizophrenia or multiple personality disorder.
    Guns.??? What Guns???

Ok... I'll bite. Here is how I would write the law at the Federal, State, and local level.
    Here goes...

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

This of course, AFTER stripping out every single firearms law at every level in existence.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

I am all for keeping guns out of the the mentally ill. But the who will be the one making the decisions on who are mentally unfit to own a gun? In todays world there are many who have taken prescription meds that was for something but could be mistaken for depression drugs. Such as cancer patients who had chemo and now suffer with neuropathy.

If obummer picks who an own guns, then only his muslim brotherhood buddies will be able to have guns.

There are many who I would put on that list. Such as Pelosi, Reid, Boxer, Fienstien and many other lib-o-rats!!!

7. Mandatory reporting by psychiatrists and doctors will make it MORE dangerous.

Many people who need help will not seek it out. If you go to a doctor and receive treatment, you will lose your guns. These people are mentally ill, not stupid. They will stop going to the doctor.

Go to the doctor for high blood pressure. He asks about anxiety and offers you something for it. You accept it. The ATF starts correlating FOID cards, CCW licenses etc to medical records (remember, Obamacare requires electronic medical records). Next thing, you receive a letter saying you need to turn in your guns. Think it can't happen? It's happening right now in New York and California. Florida just created a million fund to track and disarm potentially "dangerous" people.

I have a huge problem with taking away people's constitutional right for what they "might" do.

Who checks the mental health of the ones checking your mental health, almost every single one of the mass murders has been under the care of mental health professionals (what a joke) and taking meds ( how did that work out). Screw them.

The obvious flaw in all of this talk about gun laws is..............

Only the law abiding obey the law. Criminals and nuts don't care what words are written in a book of laws... they just do what they want anyway.

And anyone who doesn't understand that painfully obvious fact isn't interested in addressing the actual truth that it isn't the guns that need to be regulated... it is the criminals and nuts themselves. But, in order to sooth their fear they want to pass laws that are supposed to stop criminals and nuts, but don't, just so they can "feel" safe.

There never was, isn't now, and never will be, a law that will stop a determined criminal or nut from getting their hands on a gun. Understand that simple truth and the understanding that the real solution to provide a measure of safety for society is by keeping violent criminals in prison and violent nuts in hospitals.

That is the solution.... but no one wants to step up and admit it and no one wants to pay the costs of keeping the violent locked up... they would rather pass laws, write little words on paper that says criminals and nuts are not "allowed", so they can "feel" safe while ignoring the stark truth that those laws don't make them... "safe" at all.

And while these people fall for the silly rhetoric that gun laws make people safe... those who understand that gun laws only take away the guns of the law abiding will make it easier to control ... the law abiding.... keep that "gun control makes you safe" crap rhetoric going in order to fix it so less and less and less people could possibly be.... "law abiding" and "allowed" to have guns.

And the latest push to take guns away from more law abiding folks is with the "mental health" angle... where those in power will control the criteria that says who has a "mental health issue" that disqualifies them from owning a gun. Think carefully about that because it could result in anyone who ever was prescribed (doesn't mean you even had to fill the prescription and take it!!) a psycho active drug of any kind (like an anti depressant to help stop smoking!) suddenly discovering they are no longer "allowed" to have a gun.

We don't need background checks... we don't need gun control laws... we need to keep the violent people locked up so they can't do any more violence regardless of if they would use a hammer, fists, a chair, a ball bat, a tire iron, or a gun, to harm others. If they aren't around any other people then they don't have the opportunity to victimize... other people.

Dammit! The logic is simple... but it doesn't fit the "control the people by controlling guns" agenda that works so well in other countries around the world now does it?

Quote Originally Posted by jameshd View Post
    I agree. You can be totally batsh!t crazy and still not be dangerous to yourself or others.

No matter what the law is at any time it will be subverted. Not just by criminals. First, a mentally incompetent individual must be put into some data base somewhere. Therapists and shrink docs will be reluctant to do that. Even if they do report its gonna take the data base some time to enter the info. Mental illness isn't stupidity...patient sees a counselor or a shrink for mental illness, he knows he's gonna be reported so he'll shop for what he can afford before the data gets into the system.

I'm on the board of our local domestic violence shelter and have worked many years as a crisis counselor. The justice of the peace in our little town hears a LOT of DV cases. Sit in his court and you'll hear that the most important thing doesn't seem to be the safety of the victim. The most important thing is whether the accused will lose the right to own firearms if he's convicted. Judge will say this over and over as reminders - cautioning the accused and asking the victim if they're sure they wanna testify and cause this poor guy to lose the right to own firearms.

Point is. No matter who writes the law. No matter what is in the law. No matter how the law changes over time. Folks are still gonna get the firearms they feel they need.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast