Write the New Federal Firearm Law - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Write the New Federal Firearm Law

We can list a lot of laws that don't work. DUI Laws, Drug Laws, Under Age everything Laws. The point is there is one statistic we can point to because we have the Background check law. Again, less than .20% of gun crime is committed by legal gun owners.
    No one ever said the law prevents gun violence. But, it does point directly at who is committing the Gun crimes. Criminals. Without the background checks and the very term "Legal Gun Owners" you would have nothing to point to as proof as to who the good guys are.

I guarantee if you come up with a better way of doing it every Republican in the house would vote your Bill/Law in.

Build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door.

If you really believe that there need not be any other law besides the 2nd amendment (Not really a law) that's fine, but unrealistic.

Background checks are here to stay. Check back in a year, 2 years, 10 years and you'll still have background checks... Unless you have a better way.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    ... And obviously you skip scan the posts.
    I'm not for expanding anything. There would actually be less laws if the state laws in most cases went away.
    You are kidding yourself if you think background checks are ever going away.
    And My Position on writing the new federal firearms law is simply improving the ability to deal with mental illness.
    All the other requirements (Background check @ $5.00) stay the same.
    This is just my opinion.
    Original Post said Write the new Federal firearm law.

In Good Faith I had hoped for some realistic input.
    If you don't want a background check, write your idea of a law that would prohibit felon's and the mentally ill and who ever else should not have a gun from getting them.
    Come on, show us your stuff.
    I already did that as you obviously skip scan posts (what ever that is) as well. Long story short and if you took the time to look, I said to scrap the current laws and start a ban from ownership list rather than a background check. I think I am done with this totally worthless thread started by someone who merely wants a pissing contest under the guise of a "debate". Personally, I think you watch way too much MSNBC.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

So tell us oh Michigan Man. What do the current gun laws do for us. Keep it real and try to stick to less words than the Obama debt in dollars.
    And why don't you put in your qualifications as well.
    My ability to express my thoughts in more than 3 sentences is not restricted by the length of your attention span. If you do not have the patience to read what I post..... don't read what I post. You know ...free country and all that...

What do the current gun control laws do for us? That is exactly what I've been writing about in those oh so long posts you don't like to take the time to read. I've said many times that all the gun control laws we already have that say felons and nuts are not allowed to have guns do not stop felons and nuts from getting guns! And I keep asking YOU...

How will yet another law, a law that felons and nuts DO NOT OBEY!, stop felons and nuts from getting guns?

And your answers so far do not address that simple question... nor do your answers reflect the rather inconvenient yet simple inescapable truth that....

"There never has been, isn't now, and never will be, a law that will stop a determined criminal or nut from getting a gun!"

Your entire premise... that we need a new gun control law that will solve the problem that felons and nuts get guns is based upon the erroneous idea that ... felons and nuts will obey the law when History itself has shown that felons and nuts don't give two farts in the wind about what the law says.

So... your entire premise... and this entire conversation... is based upon the mistaken belief that all that is necessary is a new law, an extra special new law that will be some kind of super special law, will cause felons and nuts to suddenly obey the law.

I will never understand the perspective of denying the reality that laws are useless in preventing felons and nuts from getting guns simply because ... now get this part... felons and nuts do not obey the law.

People keep beating the drum that of "there needs to be a law to stop that from happening" never understanding that laws don't stop anything... only individuals who make the decision to obey the law stop themselves from doing things. And no law, no matter how big the letters are written on paper, will stop an individual who makes a decision to ignore or blatantly disobey that law.

So Kramer1113... explain how a new gun control law will cause felons and nuts, who haven't been obeying the thousands of other gun control laws we have, to suddenly obey the law.

Or do you already understand that felons and nuts won't obey any new law and are simply trying to sell the idea that it would be a good thing for us gun owners all get together and create a brand new law that will only affect.... gun owners?

Let me say this...

Locking up all the guns in the entire world will not stop violent people from doing violent things again and again. If they can't get a gun, or build their own gun, they will use a knife, a ball bat, or even a kitchen chair, to do their violence. But locking up the violent people will stop them from inflicting their violence again.

And we already have a gun control law:

Amendment II. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Now... hopefully you have taken the time to read all of my post and hopefully you will address the salient points therein.

Or not.

We can list a lot of laws that don't work. DUI Laws, Drug Laws, Under Age everything Laws. The point is there is one statistic we can point to because we have the Background check law. Again, less than .20% of gun crime is committed by legal gun owners.
    No one ever said the law prevents gun violence. But, it does point directly at who is committing the Gun crimes. Criminals. Without the background checks and the very term "Legal Gun Owners" you would have nothing to point to as proof as to who the good guys are.

I guarantee if you come up with a better way of doing it every Republican in the house would vote your Bill/Law in.

Build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door.

If you really believe that there need not be any other law besides the 2nd amendment (Not really a law) that's fine, but unrealistic.

Background checks are here to stay. Check back in a year, 2 years, 10 years and you'll still have background checks... Unless you have a better way.
    Ok... so now you are saying that gun control laws won't stop anything because laws don't stop violence (where have I heard that?) but you want to write a new gun control law because if gun owners have strict gun control laws they must obey it will prove gun owners are the good guys?

Jumpin' Jeepers! What kind of convoluted reasoning is that? It's obvious who the good guys are! The good guys are the one's who don't use guns to do violent things with! Why would the good guys have to have their rights restricted to prove... they are the good guys?

Are you suggesting punishing the good guys with restrictive laws will make the anti gunners like us?

-snip-
    If you really believe that there need not be any other law besides the 2nd amendment (Not really a law) that's fine, but unrealistic.-snip-
    Well Sir... now you have completely lost any credibility with the statement that the 2nd Amendment is not really a law. In my not so humble opinion you do not understand what the 2nd Amendment is nor what it means and stands for...

Article VI | U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute

U.S. Constitution
    Article VI

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land;
    -snip-

bold added by me for emphasis

now are amendments also the "law of the land"?

Article V | U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute

U.S. Constitution
    Article V

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution,
    -snip-

Hence... if it is part of the Constitution then it ...

shall be the supreme law of the land

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Ok... so now you are saying that gun control laws won't stop anything because laws don't stop violence (where have I heard that?) but you want to write a new gun control law because if gun owners have strict gun control laws they must obey it will prove gun owners are the good guys?

Jumpin' Jeepers! What kind of convoluted reasoning is that? It's obvious who the good guys are! The good guys are the one's who don't use guns to do violent things with! Why would the good guys have to have their rights restricted to prove... they are the good guys?

Are you suggesting punishing the good guys with restrictive laws will make the anti gunners like us?
    OK, One More Time and I'll Type Really Slow for you.

The Federal Government at this very moment is trying to write a "New... Federal... Gun... Law". I had hoped for some reasonable thoughts here.

If you read my posts (IF) you will see I am suggesting nothing new to what we have right now, today, at this moment, as a Federal Gun Law.

I do not believe we need or want State Gun Laws at all. Are you getting this?

Do you know the difference between State and Federal Law?

I will give you an example to help you see through your blur of anger.

Colorado passed the Magazine restriction Law (For one). They said no more than 15 rounds in a Mag.

Federal law has No Such Restriction... See, Less Restrictive Law. Are you getting it now?

The ONLY area that I suggested in My New Federal Gun Law that gets tougher for a guy like you is some how improving the Mental Health section of the law.

This does not come in the form of screening. This more than likely would fall to the parent or legal guardian of the mentally ill individual. They would have requirements and punishments to fit the condition.

An example may be that the parent shall not allow or permit access to a firearm. This may require them to keep their guns constantly under lock and key.

Biometric safes are quick access if we are worried about time constraints in the face of danger for the parent or guardian.

Having a statistic on our side is not a "Feel Good" measure. At a time like New town its the only thing we have in OUR defense. Why would you ever want that tool to be gone?

Everyone knows criminals will get guns and bombs and what ever else they desire. I would take a guess that most people that we would consider the "Criminal Element" don't even know the Federal or State Gun Laws and they sure as heck aren't going to follow them if they do. DUH.

There has to be a stopping point. Fast & Furious is an example of what happens when the flow of guns goes unchecked.

As Stated. I want Less Laws, Not More. Learn Your Federal Laws, Dump your State Laws and you'll get to the Core of what I am talking about here.

The Feds are re-writing their laws and are soon going to try to pass them... again. We never want to see that. If the Federal laws tighten then some states will pile on and restrict us even more.
    Got It Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Well Sir... now you have completely lost any credibility with the statement that the 2nd Amendment is not really a law.

The 2nd amendment is a Right.

Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post

There is a better way... and I've been suggesting it all along...

Stop trying to control felons and nuts with laws that control guns. It hasn't worked. Period. Adding more laws that won't work on top of laws that don't work is a denial of reality.

Do something new... instead of trying to lock up the guns how about we lock up the violent felons and nuts and keep them locked up!

Trying to control the gun doesn't control, or prevent, the violence done by violent people. The problem isn't the gun, or the knife, or the ball bat, or fists and feet for that matter... the problem is violent people.

Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Well Sir... now you have completely lost any credibility with the statement that the 2nd Amendment is not really a law.
    The 2nd amendment is a Right.
    Incorrect...

The "right" of which you speak is the right to keep and bear arms...

The 2nd Amendment is the law of the land that protects the right to keep and bear arms.

A very important distinction.

And did you notice the cites and links I provided that support that the 2nd Amendment actually IS a law?

Point Of Thread:

The Feds are re-writing the Federal Gun Law.

IF you were able to write the Federal Law, What would it look like?

Again, The Thread was born because as we go through our day some weasel in the Federal Government is re-writing the law.

What Would Your Law Look Like?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast