Are ALL Telephone Calls Recorded? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Are ALL Telephone Calls Recorded?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Reist View Post
    And you would be right. I'm still wondering about telephone land lines. Probably so.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the government would, but the technology is completely different. To intercept a cell phone call, all you have to do is intercept the microwaves at the towers... can be done remotely without anyone the wiser.

    However, to intercept land line calls, they actually have to intercept the lines themselves which is physical and they would need a warrant. Also, they could not do it without someone knowing they are doing it. Could they? possibly. Are they? possibly. But they couldn't be cowards doing it from a remote location.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Wait till Utah is up and running NSA.
    Yep! That will be a game changer.
    “Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” -Benjamin Franklin

  4. #13
    Uhhhh of course they are, and this pretty much confirms that ALL digital communications are captured and archived by the government.



    George Orwell's 1984 is here.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  5. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if the government would, but the technology is completely different. To intercept a cell phone call, all you have to do is intercept the microwaves at the towers... can be done remotely without anyone the wiser.

    However, to intercept land line calls, they actually have to intercept the lines themselves which is physical and they would need a warrant. Also, they could not do it without someone knowing they are doing it. Could they? possibly. Are they? possibly. But they couldn't be cowards doing it from a remote location.
    I have a police scanner and I used to be able to hear cordless phone conversations 30 miles away. Haven't tried it lately. Not only are they none of my business, but I have better things to do.

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Reist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if the government would, but the technology is completely different. To intercept a cell phone call, all you have to do is intercept the microwaves at the towers... can be done remotely without anyone the wiser.

    However, to intercept land line calls, they actually have to intercept the lines themselves which is physical and they would need a warrant. Also, they could not do it without someone knowing they are doing it. Could they? possibly. Are they? possibly. But they couldn't be cowards doing it from a remote location.
    I have a police scanner and I used to be able to hear cordless phone conversations 30 miles away. Haven't tried it lately. Not only are they none of my business, but I have better things to do.
    That makes no sense. Cell phones use microwaves, police scanners use radio waves. And how would you ever know how far they were. Police scanners aren't equipped with DME. So how does that work?

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Reist View Post
    I have a police scanner and I used to be able to hear cordless phone conversations 30 miles away. Haven't tried it lately. Not only are they none of my business, but I have better things to do.
    The original cordless phones were on the 900MHz band, and off the shelf scanners could easily listen to phone conversations. 30 miles, naw!, that never happened, they are just in the miliwatt power range, on a very crowded spectrum, and a couple of hundred yards was the absolute tops.

    Newer scanners were manufactured so that bands that were used by cordless and analog cell service were blocked. It wasn't too difficult to find out how to modify the circuit board to remove these blocked bands, expecially for the popular models. It usually required removing or moving capacitors.

    Today cellular networks are just a data network and all traffic is going to pass through a limited number of central points, where it can, and obviously are being captured and backed up.

    as was this message
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  8. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    The original cordless phones were on the 900MHz band, and off the shelf scanners could easily listen to phone conversations. 30 miles, naw!, that never happened, they are just in the miliwatt power range, on a very crowded spectrum, and a couple of hundred yards was the absolute tops.

    Newer scanners were manufactured so that bands that were used by cordless and analog cell service were blocked. It wasn't too difficult to find out how to modify the circuit board to remove these blocked bands, expecially for the popular models. It usually required removing or moving capacitors.

    Today cellular networks are just a data network and all traffic is going to pass through a limited number of central points, where it can, and obviously are being captured and backed up.

    as was this message


    Yes, it was several years ago, so some of the earlier cordless phones. As for the 30 miles, I heard several mentions of being in dorm rooms and the two colleges around here are both 30 miles away. Also picked up a lot of Spanish speakers and at the time there weren't any around this area. Even my nearest neighbors were miles away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast