Privileges and Favors, or Inalienable Rights?

Thread: Privileges and Favors, or Inalienable Rights?

ezkl2230 Guest

Privileges and Favors, or Inalienable Rights?

"Just because you have a right does not mean that the state or local government cannot constrain that right…" B.H. Obama

"I do think there are certain times we should infringe on your freedom..." Michael Bloomberg
    At every turn, we are witnessing an all-out attack on the freedoms guaranteed us by the Bill of Rights. It's amazing that the words "unalienable" or "shall not be infringed" could ever be interpreted as, "at the government's whim."

If one looks at our rights only as amendments to the Constitution, it is easy to dismiss their importance. When you put them back into their original context of the Bill of Rights, however, one is confronted with the critical nature of those amendments. The States that created the federal government with the ratification of the Constitution DEMANDED that the first 10 amendments be added, and ratified them with a 3/4 supermajority. Those amendments to the Constitution made this country what it was. Our government's penchant to disregard them has made us what we are today.

The Danbury Baptists nailed the basic issue when they wrote their historic (and abused) letter to then-president Thomas Jefferson:

"[A]nd such had been our laws and usages, and such still are; that religion is considered as the first object of legislation; and therefore what religious privileges we enjoy (as a minor part of the state) we enjoy as favors granted, and not as inalienable rights; and these favors we receive at the expense of such degrading acknowledgements as are inconsistent with the rights of freemen. It is not to be wondered at therefore; if those who seek after power and gain under the pretense of government and religion should reproach their fellow men--should reproach their order magistrate, as a enemy of religion, law, and good order, because he will not, dare not, assume the prerogatives of Jehovah and make laws to govern the kingdom of Christ."
    Our rights are not privileges or favors granted to us by a beneficent government; they are INALIENABLE RIGHTS, recognized by our Founders as having been granted to us by God by virtue of having been created in His image. Therefore, the attacks and slanders we endure at the hand of our government for the exercise and defense of those rights are "inconsistent with the rights of freemen." But as was the case already in Jefferson's time, those of us who believe and defend that position are instead looked upon as the enemy by those who seek absolute power.

Privileges and Favors, or Inalienable Rights?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367943858.173458.jpg
    It used to be so simple.

Blog Entries
    I like the term "freeman" . It needs to come back into mainstream use.
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

Let's see what the experts on our rights have to say:
    The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government --- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.
    --- Patrick Henry
    There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.
    --- James Madison
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law," because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    --- Thomas Jefferson
    Our legislators are not sufficiently apprized of the rightful limits of their power; that their true office is to declare and enforce only our natural rights and duties, and to take none of them from us.
    --- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to F. W. Gilmer, 1816
    Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated.
    --- Thomas Jefferson
    The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.
    --- George Washington
    I go further, and affirm that bills of rights, in the sense and to the extent in which they are contended for, are not only unnecessary in the proposed Constitution, but would even be dangerous. They would contain various exceptions to powers not granted; and on this very account, would afford a colorable pretext to claim more than were granted. For why declare that things shall not be done which there is no power to do?
    --- Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 84, 1788
    The strictest law sometimes becomes the severest injustice.
    --- Benjamin Franklin
    The people are the only legitimate fountain of power, and it is from them that the constitutional charter, under which the several branches of government hold their power, is derived.
    --- James Madison
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    --- James Madison
    A free people claim their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their magistrate.
    --- Thomas Jefferson
    And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever.
    --- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, Query 18, 1781
    The experts have spoken. Obama and Bloomers lose......resoundingly......again.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Blog Entries
    I particularly like the top two Jefferson quotes. I bookmarked this post so I can refer to it later.
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

You can get my entire quote collection with these links:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~simmoh/founders_quotes.doc
    http://home.earthlink.net/~simmoh/no...gun_quotes.doc
    http://home.earthlink.net/~simmoh/good_quotes.doc
    http://home.earthlink.net/~simmoh/fo...n_firearms.doc
    http://home.earthlink.net/~simmoh/dog_quotes.doc
    good_quotes has everything in it, but the others seperate out specific categories for easier reference.
    EDIT: Fair warning. You will see some duplicates in there.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws