Internet Sales Tax - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Internet Sales Tax

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Greenville SC
    Posts
    1,086
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    If a consumer buys a widget from a brick and mortar store they pay a sales tax. Saying they should pay the same tax if they buy it from an online store is ignorant why?

    You should not file for every state, file for the state you are based in, is the right way to do it. If I have a brick and mortar store in nv and someone buys a widget, I collect the tax for nv. If I have an online store based in nv, and someone buys the same widget, why should I not have to collect the same tax
    The post is ignorant because you don't know what you are talking about. You might consider researching the bill. I think you are under the impression that the business would collect nv sales tax for every sale, regardless of where the purchaser lives. That isn't the case.

    To use your example, the way the new law *will* work is if you have an online store in nv, and you make a sale to someone in nm, you'd collect the sales tax for nm. If you made a sale to someone in ny, you'd collect the tax for ny. You would be responsible to report sales and remit the sales tax you collect to all states. You would be responsible to report sales even if your sales for a given state are 0, or pay a penalty and be liable for estimated sales tax.



    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by kerb View Post
    The post is ignorant because you don't know what you are talking about. You might consider researching the bill. I think you are under the impression that the business would collect nv sales tax for every sale, regardless of where the purchaser lives. That isn't the case.

    To use your example, the way the new law *will* work is if you have an online store in nv, and you make a sale to someone in nm, you'd collect the sales tax for nm. If you made a sale to someone in ny, you'd collect the tax for ny. You would be responsible to report sales and remit the sales tax you collect to all states. You would be responsible to report sales even if your sales for a given state are 0, or pay a penalty and be liable for estimated sales tax.


    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Oh, I see. DId you read my post? Where did I say i support this particular bill? You are arguing against an opinion I didn't express, genius.
    I believe states should collect the same tax from businesses in their state, period. I said nothing different.

  4. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Burr from NC will be hearing, again, from me.
    I hope you have better luck getting a response from him than I did. I think it is time for him to be replaced by someone more responsive. If you dont agree with me as a constituent, i would at least like a reply back telling me to go pound sand. Just saying...
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Greenville SC
    Posts
    1,086
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Oh, I see. DId you read my post? Where did I say i support this particular bill? You are arguing against an opinion I didn't express, genius.
    I believe states should collect the same tax from businesses in their state, period. I said nothing different.
    This thread is about a specific bill before Congress. I assumed that when you said you were in favor of internet tax that you were in favor of the bill. Not an unreasonable assumption I don't think. At any rate, I should have chosen my words more politely.

    Back on the topic:
    Why should someone (a customer) who is not a resident of state X pay taxes to state X when they receive no benefit from those taxes?
    Who represents that customer in state X's legislature? (Taxation without representation?)
    Why is the federal government getting involved in state commerce in the first place?
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by kerb View Post
    This thread is about a specific bill before Congress. I assumed that when you said you were in favor of internet tax that you were in favor of the bill. Not an unreasonable assumption I don't think. At any rate, I should have chosen my words more politely.

    Back on the topic:
    Why should someone (a customer) who is not a resident of state X pay taxes to state X when they receive no benefit from those taxes?
    Who represents that customer in state X's legislature? (Taxation without representation?)
    Why is the federal government getting involved in state commerce in the first place?
    It's cool, I oppose this bill totally because article 1 section 9 of the constitution states "No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State."

    I believe the scotus ruled on this in 92 also, but I cannot find the case now.


    The federal government has no business in this, except their overreaching greed. But living in NV, if I vacation in Utah for example, any purchases I make are subject to Utah sales tax. I don't see why purchasing it on the internet should be any different.

    When I was a kid, growing up in Philly, I remember my parents driving to delaware to make big purchases due to no sales tax. That was Delaware's law. What was wrong was cops trying to catch people like us going to Delaware, pull them over, and make them pay PA sales taxes. But being 8 years old and watching my dad evade the cops by taking backroads was kind of cool.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,602
    I disagree with it because what did my state or the seller's state do to earn my money. Not a darn thing. Collecting for sales within one's own state for sales within the same state is a different story. And we have to pay sales taxes monthly.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast