Coburn goes after NFL's "Tax Exempt" Status.

Thread: Coburn goes after NFL's "Tax Exempt" Status.

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Question Coburn goes after NFL's "Tax Exempt" Status.

Fiscal hawk Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) is known primarily for attacking reckless and duplicate spending programs in an effort to get our nation's budgetary woes under control through spending cuts.
    However, in the NFL and other professional sports leagues, he may have found some revenue enhancements. The Republican senator is hoping to go after the tax exempt status of the NFL and other leagues currently classified as "non-profits." The NHL and PGA would also fall into this category.

Coburn estimates that re-classifying the NFL would bring in as much as $91 million per year in additional revenue.

This is not the first time the NFL's status has come under assault. During the lockout in 2011, NFL Players Association Executive Director DeMaurice Smith used the line of attack as a smear against the owners. It is unclear what kind of support Coburn has nor how the issue would immediately impact the NFL if such a change were to come into effect.

Coburn Goes After NFL, Tax Exempt Status

The NFL is Exempt from paying Taxes?
    WTF!?!
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

I'm not saying it's ok. But to clarify:

"The National Football League is an unincorporated nonprofit 501(c)(6) association, meaning its league office is not subject to income tax because it does not make a profit. In contrast, each individual team is subject to tax because they make a profit."

National Football League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm thinking way way back in the day, it made sense to allow the leagues to form as not for profit in order to encourage their growth. And/or could be that back in those times, the non-professional teams had tax exempt, therefore there was no distinction. Remember many of these started in the early 1900s where players and teams didn't get squat. Back when it wasn't about money, it was love of the sport.

That being said, I think they're big boys now, and can survive without not-for-profit status. Keep in mind, the cost will trickle down the consumer one way or another. Frankly, I don't follow sports much, so no worries from my side.
    You can have good intentions and not be right.

While in total agreement with both of the previous posts, my thoughts are that Sen. Coburn needs to fight this battle at another time.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    The NFL is Exempt from paying Taxes?
    WTF!?!
    Wow. I didn't know they were tax exempt. How do they substantiate such a position? Is that similar to the local little-league?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by SR40c View Post
    While in total agreement with both of the previous posts, my thoughts are that Sen. Coburn needs to fight this battle at another time.
    Could you clarify your position why he should do this at another time if you agree it should be done?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Could you clarify your position why he should do this at another time if you agree it should be done?
    I say that because there are so many other things going on at the moment. Perhaps I am being too simplistic, but it's sort of like the gay marriage thing. There are much more pressing issues at the moment. Other than that, I am all for the NFL front office "paying their fair share".

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

This may be the best time to go forward since the IRS cover up of targeting 501c nonprofit organizations that had a right-winged political stance has been exposed. Since it is exposed now, cleaning up all the 501c non-profit organizations (including the NFL) at this time sounds like the right time to me. It might be the only way to get the IRS to save any face at the moment.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)