All Semi-Auto's To Require 'Micro-Stamping' I.D. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: All Semi-Auto's To Require 'Micro-Stamping' I.D.

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    Anything that allows police to identify a murder weapon is a good thing. As responsible gun owners it is no threat to us.
    When we get in a gun fight we already know we will comply with police and hand over our gun for processing.

Is that sarcasm or humor? This is most definitely a threat to responsible gun owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
    this is exactly what i was thinking. may not even have to replace if you can fubar the pin enough to get rid of it and still be able to fire. it'd be like filing serials now.
    It would be far, far easier than that. Microstamping is far more minute and delicate than the serial numbers on the side of the gun.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Glock Firing Pin Glock 22 23 24 27 31 32 33 35 37 38 39

For $40, you can replace the firing pin in a Glock. Ummmm, and how is this supposed to help investigators?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I am not for this and would vote against it. BUT--at least is would have some theoretical utility. Not trying to sound liberal, I am the opposite but that is one of the few gun control measures that actually could have a use (unlike the infinite other measures that could not possibly help). The kicker is (forgive me if this has already been repeated ad nauseum) that since it is easy to change firing pins, it would be just as easy for a criminal to take it off.

5. I thought they did not like the wild west?!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    In a controversial move that some believe will essentially lead to a de facto ban on semi-automatic handguns, Attorney General Kamala Harris announced that, effective immediately, all new semi-automatic firearms sold in the State of California will require a unique microstamp on every shell ejected when a gun is fired.

Microstamping, or ballistic imprinting, is a technology patented in the 1990′s by engineer and NRA member Todd Lizotte. When a gun is fired, a tiny engraving on the firing pin etches a microscopic identifier onto the cartridge as it is expended by the firearm.

The law, which requires every semi automatic gun sold in the state to imprint the gun’s serial number on the cartridge, was signed into law by former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2007 and was delayed due to patent stipulations in the legislation.

The legislation specified that it would take effect only when the technology was available and all private patents had expired.

But at a Los Angeles news conference Friday, Harris announced that micro-stamping had cleared all technological and patenting hurdles and would be required on newly sold semiautomatics, effective immediately.

“The patents have been cleared, which means that this very important technology will help us as law enforcement in identifying and locating people who have illegally used firearms,” Harris said.

According to proponents of the legislation, ballistic micro-stamping will help law enforcement investigators track down firearms used in the commission of crimes:

Attorney Benjamin Van Houten of San Francisco’s Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence said the announcement should send a message to other states, the Obama administration and the gun industry that “this is the future and it’s really critical to helping law enforcement solve gun crimes.”

Implementation of micro-stamping “moves California to the forefront of the nation in combatting gun crime,” said the law’s author, former Assemblyman Mike Feuer, D-Los Angeles, who attended the news conference and is running for city attorney.

It’s not clear exactly how a firearm that has been illegally purchased, such as through straw buyers who purchased semi-automatic rifles to Mexican drug cartels from federal agents in Operation Fast and Furious, could help track down criminals using untraceable guns in the commission of a crime.

In addition to being ineffective in tracking gun crimes, NRA attorney C.D. Michel suggests that with firearm sales across the country already putting overwhelming demand on gun manufacturers, the new California law could lead to widespread shortages of handguns in the state:

“This is not going to help solve crimes,” he said. “It’s easily defeated, easily wears out and can be used to lead police down false alleys” if the serial numbers are altered.

Worse yet, Michel said, manufacturers will be unwilling to add this expensive feature to guns sold in a single state, and will instead keep manufacturing weapons for the other states, where demand already far exceeds supply.

The effect, he said, would be a ban on new semiautomatic handguns in California, which the NRA will challenge in court.

As has been the case with California’s 1990′s ban on semi-automatic rifles and larger capacity magazines, the microstamping legislation aims to reduce availability of firearms to law abiding citizens. Because the legislation specifically targets semi-automatic handguns, a staple personal self defense firearm, the vast majority of those affected will be people who simply want to own a handgun to protect themselves and their families.

The law will have almost no effect on a criminal’s ability to gain access to firearms through the black market. This has been proven time and again with semi-automatic rifles and shotguns, which are already illegal in California but are regularly used by gangs and criminals.

It will also be the case with new micro-stamped handguns, which just like non-ballistically identified firearms, can be stolen and moved through back channels without restriction. If anything, criminals will prefer stolen micro-stamped guns over others because when police forensic teams show up, their investigations will be diverted to the original owner of the firearm, not to the criminal who stole it or purchased it through underground dealers.

And for those who think this is restricted to the left-coast, similar legislation is under consideration in New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maryland, Wisconsin, and Illinois. Likewise, a federal push for micro-stamping was attempted in 2008 by both the House and the Senate in the form of the National Gun Crime Identification Act.

Microstamping is yet another purported “common sense approach” that makes no sense in the real world.

Watch: Stealing Freedom: Microstamping, Firearms and Ammunition

» All Semi-Automatic Pistols Sold In California to Require ?Micro Stamp? Ballistic Identification Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
    This law will have the effect of forcing California residents to buy revolvers aka wild west style six shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by ma6907 View Post
    I am not for this and would vote against it. BUT--at least is would have some theoretical utility.
    Banning guns has a theoretical utility. But in reality it falls flat on its' face. This proposal does too. It won't have any utility at all. It's so incredibly easy to bypass, it's comical that they're even considering it.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams

All Semi-Auto's To Require 'Micro-Stamping' I.D.

Oh noo, microstamping, how will I ever get around this hein...oh wait, I have an India stone. Problem solved.

Try this scenario, you go to the range and pickle off a few rounds, pack up and leave. Someone gets a glimpse of your shiny printed shell and brings it home. Same person puts a nice big hole in the head of one of his enemies and drops your nice shiny micro stamped shell for the police to find. Now the evidence is saying it was your gun that put a big hole in jethros Mellon. Unfortunately for your you were home sleeping all by yourself when this happened so your alibi sucks. Oh we'll it is only 20 years to life, but boy did it make the cops job easy. Case solved.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Oh noo, microstamping, how will I ever get around this hein...oh wait, I have an India stone. Problem solved.
    Except for all that extra, useless money you spent to buy a gun with new, mandated technology that does nothing to solve crime and might actually send innocent people to jail. At the very least it creates a registration system for all newly purchased semiautomatic handguns. Problem solved? Hardly.

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    Anything that allows police to identify a murder weapon is a good thing. As responsible gun owners it is no threat to us.
    When we get in a gun fight we already know we will comply with police and hand over our gun for processing.

Oh, you won't he handing it over for processing, you will be having it done at your own expense.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Are the idiots in CA gov't going to start micro stamping nails. Because that is all that is needed to make a firing pin. They may not last long but are easy to acquire and dispose of. Substituting An AR-15 Firing Pin With A Modified Duplex Nail
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast